Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Stomperud (Read 5729 times)
Jim Mulry
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Stomperud
May 23rd, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
What ?   Where ?   How ?   1944 carbine with Krag action in 6.5x55 caliber with Nazi markings - Eagle/84 Waffenamt.  What is it ?   Where is it found ?   How did it come into being ?

IP Logged

Oly Olson
KCA Forum Member

Kongsberg Collector

Re: Stomperud
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2017 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Nazi occupation.  Waffenampts on approved arsenal work and re-work etc.  I have one.  Very interesting rifle with great markings.

IP Logged

Jim Mulry
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Oly Olson wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 7:40pm:
Nazi occupation.  Waffenampts on approved arsenal work and re-work etc.  I have one.  Very interesting rifle with great markings.

Oly,
Mismatched numbers on this rifle.  Can I still expect shooting accuracy ?

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2017 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I have one of these too.  It's also a 44.  The barrel on mine is like new.  It slugs .255/.2645.  I think the earlier rifles often had larger bores, some .268 or more.  I found this reading threads on castboolits.com.  So if your barrel is in good shape, you might e get accuracy out of it.  Of course there are other factors that effect accuracy too.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:30am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

Oly Olson
KCA Forum Member

Kongsberg Collector

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Here's mine.  Great looking rifle, perfect bore, odd finish that, on the stock at least, I'm sure has been messed with.  No idea what the value is and don't care - I'm just happy to have such a great shooter in fantastic shape.

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2017 at 2:12am by Oly Olson »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Looks nice.  I just posted on some other board that I'd not seen one in a 1912 stock.  Now I have.  I've read that some of the parts were assembled on into the 50s and 60s.  50s I could see, but 60s?  It looks like the bolt handle bears on yours, like it does on mine.  On the other hand, a 1916 made action I have bears on the locking lug and guide rib, but not the handle.  Wonder if that's something the Nazis specified, hoping to make them strong enough for the 8x57?

IP Logged

Oly Olson
KCA Forum Member

Kongsberg Collector

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 4:41am
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:40am:
Looks nice.  I just posted on some other board that I'd not seen one in a 1912 stock.  Now I have.  I've read that some of the parts were assembled on into the 50s and 60s.  50s I could see, but 60s?  It looks like the bolt handle bears on yours, like it does on mine.  On the other hand, a 1916 made action I have bears on the locking lug and guide rib, but not the handle.  Wonder if that's something the Nazis specified, hoping to make them strong enough for the 8x57?

That's an interesting question.  I don't doubt the 50's and early 60's thing as this does not look like a WWII finish.  Also, another chap here posted that his father got a barreled action, not several numbers away from mine in serial with identical markings, in 1961 from one of the surplus shops.  I would not be surprised if my rifle was cobbled together from an action vs. being totally assembled as you see here by Kongsberg under the Nazis, but the "duffel cut" does have a kind of arsenal look to it so who knows.

I just don't know.  These are weird rifles with tortured histories.  Any info and/or theories are welcome.

Oly
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2017 at 6:20am by Oly Olson »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 5:45am
Print Post  
I have that barreled action now.  I don't think it was ever in a military stock, just the sporter stock, likely a Fajen or Bishop, that came with it.

IP Logged

Oly Olson
KCA Forum Member

Kongsberg Collector

Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 2:16am
Print Post  
I contacted the folks at Kongsberg, and this is what they had to say:

"Hi Oly!

This was a really nice example of this rare model. Is it possible for us to get permission to use the picture at this models web page with your name under as photographer?

1095 is the highest known serial number for us until now. The production records shows that 1200 was the highest number produced of this model.

Thanks, Rune "

Really nice of them to get back to me I thought.

Oly

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Sure was.  I've been to their site a few times searching for more info on mine.  We had an Oly in the refueling squadron I belonged to in the late 70s.  Olinghouse was the man's last name, he was a navigator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint