Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 Krag saddle ring screws? (Read 1936 times)
JPM
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Krag saddle ring screws?
Jun 15th, 2017 at 1:37am
Print Post  
I've got an 1896 Krag Carbine that was missing the saddle ring and bar from the stock. Someone had removed it and fashioned a veneer to fill in the depression left behind in the wood. Doesn't look bad but I want to put the saddle ring back and I just found one!

The problem is I don't have the screws and would like to use the right ones if possible. Does anyone know the specs on those screws??

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Krag saddle ring screws?
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 3:13am
Print Post  
I don't know first-hand, but, FWIW:

Joe Poyer in his book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", describes the front carbine swivel-screw (for the 'saddle-ring bar') as being .60 inches long and the rear-screw being .885 inches long.

Poyer says the rear ('saddle-ring bar') screw is the same as the butt-plate tang screw.

It appears the rear carbine 'saddle-ring bar' screw also has the same dimensions as the rifle 'butt sling-swivel' screw(s).

A pair of Krag (rifle) 'butt-swivel' screws, with one shortened to .60", should do the trick.

Grandpa's Gun Parts (in KCA Classifieds) has these screws on sale for $3.00 each.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2017 at 3:50pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

JPM
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info but I'm a little confused by this.

The 1896 carbine does not have a front or rear sling swivel so I'm not sure what he's describing when talking about the front and rear swivel screws??

Was that quoting him stating that the carbine bar rear screw has the same dimensions as the rifle rear sling swivel screw?

Thanks!

butlersrangers wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 3:13am:
I don't know first-hand, but, FWIW:

Joe Poyer in his book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", describes the front carbine swivel-screw as being .60 inches long and the rear-screw being .885 inches long. Poyer says the rear screw is the same as the butt-plate tang screw.

It appears the carbine-bar rear-screw also has the same dimensions as the rifle rear sling-swivel screw(s).

A pair of Krag rifle rear-swivel screws, with one shortened to .60", should do the trick.

Grandpa's Gun Parts (in KCA Classifieds) has these screws on sale for $3.00 each.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Nomenclature is always a problem for me. I have modified my original post slightly and added verbiage to try to make things clearer.

(I was not quoting Poyer directly. Noticing that, 'rifle butt-swivel screws' seem to have the same dimensions, was my observation and experience).

To be succinct - Krag carbines (usually) do not have 'rifle sling-swivels'.

The Krag 'short forearm' carbine stocks, (for model 1896 and model 1898 carbines), normally have a 'saddle-ring & bar', on the left stock wrist area.

(This was used, with an across the chest, wide leather 'carbine-sling', with a 'roller snap-hook' device, that allowed the carbine to be brought into action and not accidentally dropped, while mounted).

I believe, a pair of rifle butt-swivel screws can be used to attach your 'saddle ring and bar'. The front screw needs to be shortened to .60 inches. (I suspect 1903 Springfield butt swivel screws would also work). 

IP Logged

JPM
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Ah ok, that makes sense to me now, thanks! I think I have a spare 03 screw so I'm going to try a test-fit with that.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint