Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Fred C. Ness & Krag sporters (Read 5084 times)
reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Fred C. Ness & Krag sporters
Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Ness was one of the technical guys at the NRA in the late 1940s.  He wrote 2 books; "Practical Dope on the Big Bores" and a similar one on .22 cal. rifles, concentrating mostly on centerfires.  The guy was a terrible writer and an even worse proof-reader, but he mentions several of the semi-wildcats turned out on Krag actions.  How many of these have you seen?

.405 WCF and .35 Winchester:  I have seen one each of these, "foul weather" bear rifles made locally (Ferndale, CA) for a guy who hunted in Alaska and the Canadian west.  The forward part of the magazine was milled away to let the longer cartridges feed properly.  Are these the only ones?

.35 Krag; just the Krag case expanded to take .35 bullets.  I have never seen one, but there is no reason why it would not work, as long as the reloader did not get carried away with velocity.

Krag-Hornets:  These were apparently made in .22 Hornet, some by Sedgely, others by J.B. Sweany.  Usually, the barrel of a 1922 Springfield was rechambered and fitted.  Sometimes other .22 rimfire barrels were used.  All were single shots.  Sometimes the magazine was completely removed.  Other remodels used the magazine for fired cases.  Undoubtedly, some were made for the K-Hornet, another poor idea.  I know that some were made in the wildcat .25 Hornet, a low-pressure squirrel hunting & target load. 

Griffin & Howe Krag-Hornets; also made in .22 Savage High Power and .25-35 Winchester calibers.  These were high-$ single shot conversions.  Still high-$ today.

Krag-Lovell:  These were done the same way as the Hornet sporters, but with much more dubious results. The R-2 and the Maximum Lovell can be pushed to .222 & maybe to .223 pressure levels.  Best left alone.

Sedgely and others rebarreled the Krag action with .22 Savage High Power and .219 Zipper barrels. A few writers reported good accuracy but most were unhappy with the conversions.  The cartridges may feed through the magazine, but that is all that can be said.  More anon.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Fred C. Ness & Krag sporters
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
More about Krags in other calibers:  The .25-35 Winchester was a rather common choice for rebarreling an old Krag.  I think I have seen 3 over the years.  If one came along and was decent, I might be tempted. 

Ness reported on one in .25 Remington Rimless, with a 3-shot magazine.  Was that a one-off?

Rifles were and are still made for the .25 Krag case, but no Krag action should ever be considered.  The old timers knew that.  The same thing would apply to a 7 mm Krag.

That brings me to thinking about other heavy-bullet hunting cartridges.  Have you ever seen a Krag in .38-55 or its latter day variant, the .375 Winchester?  Would the Krag action work with a .45-70 cartridge? 

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 1:40am
Print Post  
I have a nice Krag sporter that was done in .22 R2 Lovell.  It has a nice bull barrel on it and a big scope and is a fantastic shooter.  Very accurate!!  I don't shoot it much, though.  Even reloading for it is pretty expensive.  Nice one to have though.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 7:08am
Print Post  
The basic cases for the R2 are back in production by Jamison.  IIRC they are also called Captech International.  Cost is about $2 each in small quantities.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
The 38-55 and 375 would be deer legal here in Ohio.  I imagine blunt noses made for tubular magazines would require some receiver modification, but handloads with spitzers might work ok.  Frank DeHaas in his Bolt Action Rifles book said his son and a friend got a Krag to feed the .444 Marlin with some help from Mr Dremel.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
There was an old thread at double gun that had several pictures of 35 Krags but only one is still there. Boring to 35 Krags were a fairly popular way of dealing with shot out barrels back in the day. It is funny that so few show up today. (You need to Login to view media files and links)

I did have a little trouble getting mine to feed, but found the regular 30s were not feeding either. Attention to a few details fixed that, when the regular Krag ammo would feed then the 35/40 fed also.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks for posting that old thread.  I recall many of the now-deceased correspondents as truly decent gentlemen.  I still have the scans on cutting up a Krag stock from the Ellis Lenz book.  Will post them if anyone has not seen them.  I can hear the purists groan now.  I was "waterman" on those posts.  I used to be "waterman" here, but I got disappeared and could no longer log in, so I became Reincarnated.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
'reincarnated'-(formerly known as waterman) - Would you please post the scans for 'modifying Krag stocks'.

This would be helpful in identifying origin of stocks on some modified Krags.

Thanks

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
I have a Krag that was converted to single shot and barreled to .22 Maximum Lovell, by old Hervey Lovell himself. With its heavy barrel and Pacific double-set triggers it is a bug hole shooter. While I don't hot rod it (because of expensive brass) I do run warm loads in it.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

(That's five shots, 100 yards.)

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that post, Gnoahhh. 

I have not heard of the DST before.  Was the maker the same Pacific from San Francisco that made the old loading tools, dies, etc?

And what sort of barrel does your Maximum Lovell have? Have you slugged it?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Same Pacific, as far as I know. Please correct me if wrong.

No markings on the barrel other than Hervey's name stamped on the underside.  Maker unknown, heavy straight taper. No, I haven't slugged the bore. A chamber cast revealed a .225 throat with a standard leade, and .224 groove diameter. Never measured twist either but it stabilizes 55 and 60 grain bullets fine so am assuming at least a 1-14" twist.

He altered the bolt face to contain the smaller rim diameter by inserting a bronze ring. Extractor was altered by extending the hook length to snag the smaller rim also.

Lovell stamped his name under the butt plate also, leading me to think (hope) he did the stock too.

Triggers are set by pushing the front trigger forward. Letoff is very light and crisp- would guess it to be around 1/2 pound- I really should weigh it someday. Un-fireable unset.

The "modern" Unertl has since been replaced by a period Fecker, more in keeping with its age.

Weight is just shy of 12 pounds all up.

IP Logged

MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:11am
Print Post  
to answer reincarnated's question.  I have seen a 45-70.

I posted a few years back about a 45-70 single shot sporter I saw at a gun shop in Phoenix.  It had a plate at the top of the magazine welded or brazed to help channel the round into the chamber.  It was fairly nicely done $800 asking.

If someone is interested I will spend some time on Google and figure out which shop I saw it at.  My post was in November of 2015.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint