Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1895 Question (Read 2321 times)
ABolt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1895 Question
Jul 3rd, 2017 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Hey guys, newbie here. A few questions for you. 1st which might answer my second. Can someone direct me to a good source that will show what the serial number ranges are for the 1895/1896's carbines? I found one that is only stamped 1895 (no "model" in front of it) with serial # 25961 and I'm curious if it's a true carbine. I've done some research now, and found to check the rear sight for a "C" and a few other items. But I realize some of those features can be faked. Price is $500. Want to make sure it's worth it before I go buy it. Any info you guys can provide is appreciated.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: 1895 Question
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Does the front sight look like a M1903 Springfield?

Your sn is in the 96c range in Mr. Mallory's book.  However.  However many things could have happened to it between from the moment it was originally built in FY1895.  It could have been though Inspect and Repair As Nessesary (IRAN) at the Arsenal or some long gone gunsmith got to it or Ol' Bubba got to it.

Run a rod down on the closed bolt face.  Should be 22 inches.  But that is not a guarantee.  If it has a m1903 front chances are it is a cut down rifle.

Pictures sees all, tells all.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
'ABolt' - welcome to the KCA Forum.

There are lots of model 1896 carbines around #25961.

Most 1896 carbines fall between numbers: (24709 to 35792 and 67010 to 79764).

With the "1895" marking, it is likely this Krag at least started out as a carbine.

$500 is a bargain price for a model 1896 carbine. A correct model 1896 carbine rear-sight, alone, can sell for that.

I'm kind of wondering what is not being said or noticed about this "$500 Carbine"? The value of a collectible arm is always going to be dependent on its condition, completeness, and originality (of metal & wood parts and finish).

It does sound too good to be true, hence 'Culpeper's' questions.

It would behoove 'ABolt' to 'click' on the prompt, at the top of this page - "visit the KCA website today", and then 'click' on the 'tab' marked "photos". There are some good photos there of proper model 1896 carbines and other good stuff.

FWIW - attached are a couple of the KCA photos, as well as, some pictures of a loose model 1896 carbine sight.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
I do not believe there is any question but that the arm in question began life as a carbine, hence there is little reason to suspect it is "cut-down", unless it was assembled from parts by Bubba. Is the gas-escape hole in the bolt in line with the hinge pin or ahead of it? Is the lower rear cut on the extractor (where it pivots in the sleeve) sharp-cornered or rounded? I'm assuming the sight goes to "20" and is marked "C"? Is there a little dip in the top edge of the slide at the sighting notch? Does the front sight look like B/R's pics?

That price indicates one of two things: extreme ignorance on the part of the seller, or an obviously buggered piece of junk. A faker, or a knowledgeable seller, would ask MUCH more.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

ABolt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information guys. I've been out chasing coyotes this morning but am going to go look at it again here shortly. I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

ABolt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Alright, just went back to look at it. It's definitely not a carbine. After some research and reading your information, it was easy to tell. The rear sight was not stamped with a "c", the stock was cut down and the barrel band was not correct. Back to searching for my first Krag.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint