Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Krag ammunition and Head spaces (Read 12339 times)
Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag ammunition and Head spaces
Jul 3rd, 2017 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
I inherited a Krag from my grandfather and would love to shoot the gun. While looking for ammunition I found that I needed to know the headspacing .60 or .70. How would I determine this? I am afraid if I take it to a local gunsmith he will have no idea about this gun.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Krag ammunition and Head spaces
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum, Robert.

The smarter more eloquent guys will be along in a bit.  The 30-40 head spaces on the rim and not the shoulder.   Personally I would not sweat the headspace if your grandpa used it to good effect and if it is in good mechanical condition.  Do you have any fired ammo with the gun?  That will tell much about the chamber.  Barring that, clean the rifle up and put a round through it and see what you got.  Then post a pic here of the spent round.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
It had no ammo with it. I am not sure what rounds it uses. I was under the impression that is used 8-58R rounds not the 30-40 but I do not actually know or know exactly how to tell. I have been doing some reading but I am still don't know much.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Can you post a photo or 2 of the rifle?

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Here are some pics.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Alllllllllrighty.

First, until you post pictures, what does it read on the left side of the receiver?  All military guns as originally made have only one round chambered for it.  In US Krags it has only been the .30-40 round.  However some of these have been rebarreled in different cartridges. Possibly Danger City depending who did it.

So please post photos.  We are here to assist you in learning and shooting the Krag.

ADDED:  Looks like our posts crossed in the ether.

You have a European Krag.  Lucky guy!  The smarter guys will be along shortly.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Robert - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You have a Model 1889 Danish Krag Infantry Rifle and it is in the 8 mm (rimmed) Danish caliber.

If the numbers on your bolt match the serial number on your receiver, I would not worry about head-space.

I will let others tell you about the cartridge and reloading. The Danes were the first country to adopt the Krag. The rifles were beautifully made and quite collectable.

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
When looking to buy ammo for it it mentioned ammo by the head space. Why would you not worry about the head space? The ammo was listed at .60 and .70 and they made it sound like I needed the know which one to use.

Plus any info that anyone can give me on the year of the gun or anything. Even the value. I won't be selling it but that info is always nice to know.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Is this what prompted your initial question?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Yes that is what prompted my original question.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I believe Danish Model 1889 Army Rifle, #78,041, was built in 1911. (It was likely built at Haerrens Tojhus - Army Arsenal - "HT with crown").

WAG on value would be $800, if parts match, with '041' on bolt and small parts.

I will let others comment on 8X58mmR Danish Krag cartridge and Buffalo Arms 'warning' and loads.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I found this sticky over on Gunboards' Krag rifles of Norway, Denmark & U.S.A. forum.

And this is one of the links in it.

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the links. The first link has lots of info that is back and forth on information. I did see a comment that no one disputed that after 1902 they were made for the .70. But does anyone have any comments about the buffalo arms. That post was 10 years old and most comments weren't good.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
It is funny that the Wikipedia article shows .063 as the rim thickness and no mention of a change in 1905 as indicated on that forum. My inclination is the softer steel of the old Krags sets back the lugs and the headspace changes over the decades. I have seen it in the 2 US Krags in my family. I would expect the same in a Danish Krag as the better steels did not come on the scene till later.
If Buffalo arms will still sell you a box of .070 thick cases on trial do that. They will either chamber easily or not. If they almost chamber or chamber with difficulty trade for the .060 thick rims. Forcing the bolt to close on oversize rims would not be good for the long term health of the action.
One could check the free play in the bolt with it closed and the firing pin removed with a dial indicator.  .001 is the least I would want to see the thickest rim you can find, up to .010 play in the bolt would be acceptable.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Somewhere along the line of links, someone mentioned that Buffalo Arms would sell individual (or a few) unfired empty cases for the 8x58R Danish.  I know that they do sell samples of empty, unprimed cases because I have purchased them in another caliber.  So buy a few of each .060 and .070 and see which fits best. 

Once you learn the answer, please share it with us.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint