Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Krag ammunition and Head spaces (Read 12326 times)
Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag ammunition and Head spaces
Reply #15 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
I ordered a few samples casings from each size today and once I receive them I will post what I found. Thanks  for all of the help!!!!

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Got my casings in today. What should I be looking for? They both chamber easily.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
If the thicker goes, that's the one I'd use.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Just curious.  Do the rims appear to be visibly thicker on the .070 cases?  Can you measure the difference?

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
I don't have something to measure them with but they visually look different.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
The difference between .060 and .070 inches is more the 10% so it is easily seen. If this were mine I would pull the firing pin and chamber ALL the .070 samples and check for ease of closing, any binding while closing the bolt will be a problem. Ideally you should feel a little fore and aft play in the bolt when closed. Any cases will have a tolerance on the rim thickness probably plus or minus .002 inches (you probably will not be able to see this).  You do not want to order a bunch of cases and find the bolt does not close or closes with a resistance on a big percentage of the cases when you make a volume purchase.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Robert,
If you do not know how to remove the firing pin ask. The more experienced here can probably do it with their eyes closed. I do not play with my Krags that often. I can take them down but I have to look at them and think about it for a minute before starting.

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Okay I got busy now bak to my fun stuff. To understand what does removing the firing pin do for me? I only have casings at this point. Like I had said both casings appeareaed to,fit in the gun fine. If removing the fire on will help me then I will need some instructions.  Thanks

IP Logged

KWK
KCA Forum Member

Reply #23 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Robert wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 1:04am:
To understand what does removing the firing pin do for me?

I'm curious, too. Cocked, the mainspring tension will (on my son's bolt action) shove the bolt rearward making it difficult to detect any play. With the striker in the fired position on an empty case (no primer), I'd expect you could test for play--unless the firing pin bottoms on the primer pocket, in which case you could sacrifice a case and drill out the pocket. Perhaps it's easier to just remove the firing pin. Removing the pin on my .30-40 rolling block is easy enough. Cheesy

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
I am attempting to attach a page out of the NRA guide to Rifles and Shotguns. I have done it several times myself with no written guide but not enough times to describe it in step by step. The attached page is a PDF upside down, print it and you can see it right side up.
There may be some info on the introductory pages to this site.

(You need to Login to view media files and links) ( 547 KB | 6 Downloads )

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the diagram. I will try this over the weekend. So removing the firing allows me to fire it to see if the headspace has any effect on it?

IP Logged

KWK
KCA Forum Member

Reply #26 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 2:08am
Print Post  
FredC wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 1:22pm:
... I would pull the firing pin... Ideally you should feel a little fore and aft play in the bolt when closed.

With the pin out, the mainspring will not be pushing on the bolt, and you will be able to detect the play he mentioned earlier.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
I just checked my original Krag from my dad and the bolt is free after the firing pin is released. Not sure if it safe to dry fire your Krag or not. But if you do not want to disassemble the bolt you could let the firing pin down on each UNPRIMED cartridge you check you check. On mine holding the trigger as I closed the bolt seemed to work.
The only reason to even check this is case rim thicknesses do have a tolerance. Plus or minus .002 inches  total maybe with the most variation within a particular batch being plus or minus .001.
If you can detect a little play with 10 or so cases you should be good to go. You just do not want to find out that 50% of the plus .010 cases do not let the bolt close or are difficult to close as this would cause undo stress and wear on the gun.

IP Logged

Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Okay I removed the firing pin and tried it. There was very little play with the .6 and none with .7. So I should go with the .6?

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
The ones with the .07 heads do they bind closing the bolt with any effort? If not they probably have a little play that you can not feel. Every thing has a tolerance, I would not want you to get a batch that 50% was unusable because they were too tight or you use some that were marginal and caused undo wear to the locking lugs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint