Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Krag ammunition and Head spaces (Read 12398 times)
Robert
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag ammunition and Head spaces
Reply #30 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
I wanted to thank evryine for their help. I was able to take gun out yesterday and shoot it with my dad. Talking to him about it he had didn't think that my grandfather had ever shot tbat gun. He couldn't afford the ammo. So that gun might not have been fired since WWII. My dad also told me my grandfather picked that gun out of a pile of guns that were surrender after the battle of the bulge.

As a side note I bought my ammo from buffalo arms and about a third of the rounds we fired the casings split on them. I took them to a gun smith to find out if it was the ammo or the gun. He showed me it was the ammo. It had not been loaded correctly and showed me visible lines on the ammo tbat shouldn't be there and that that was were they we're splitting.  So with my experience I wouldn't recommend buying ammo from there.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #31 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Kind of ironic, after all their focus on 'headspace', maybe some of the cases are splitting because Brass Cases have flaw or scratch caused by Buffalo Arms' 'Forming Die'.

I wonder how 'hot' the Buffalo Arms ammo is? This seems to be a cartridge with a lot of conflicting information on the internet.

Is it really that difficult a cartridge to make safe loads for?
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2017 at 10:42pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #32 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I'm curious who else has used the Buffalo Arms ammo, and if THEY had problems also.  Might not be a bad idea to avoid using the Buffalo Arms ammo if safety is questionable!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #33 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:59am
Print Post  
I bought two batches of a certain type of ammo that was reformed from .25-06 brass.  The earlier 2004 batch had about 60 percent neck splits after firing.  Some had fine cracks before firing and they were culled before shooting.  I discovered them by running my thumb nail around the necks.  The second batch a couple years later is still unfired but no discernable cracking or splitting.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint