Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 A Question about helping people (Read 3885 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

A Question about helping people
Jul 6th, 2017 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Ok... so someone check me on this... am I really being a jerk?

Someone posted a picture of a 1902 sight on FB with the caption that read he finally received his 1901 rear sight, and thanking the guy who sold it to him.  I responded saying "Ummmm, that's actually a 1902 rear sight." 

I then got told by the guy who sold it to him an he was restoring his 1898 and installing the "Army Upgraded sight"... and basically called me an azz... asking me if I was the kind of person who likes to "Piss in People's Cheerios!"  The guy also posted a separate comment that he's just trying to help people source parts and people (like me) with "BS Superior Egos should get lost.

I then responded saying that I meant no offense, and that I was just pointing out that it was an 02 sight and not an 01, which are (as we all know) vastly different.  I stated that the Army preferred the 1901 and the NG used the 1902 sight.  I also stated that Krags went through many sight changes and so there really are several "Correct" variations so long as the proper hand guard is used.

Ok... so, am I really being an Azz when I just pointed out a minor fact?  I may have made an assumption that he thought he was looking at a 1901, when in fact it was a 1902 and he may have not known the difference... but did I really come across as offensive?  Maybe I should just have butted out, but most of the guys on the FB Krag page know me, and I really do try to help... not piss in cheerios!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: A Question about helping people
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
"...asking me if I was the kind of person who likes to "Piss in People's Cheerios!" ...

Your reply should have been "No.  But I know of a couple guys who do!".  Then give me a shout.

Oh.  That was my inner voice, wasn't it.

As one of your father confessors I here by absolve you of your supposed sin of whizzing in people's cheerios.  Now go forth and sin for real this time.

Geez.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
I would have thanked your for educating me. I guess some people want to live in the dark.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 2:33am
Print Post  
IMHO and experience, when someone attacks the character and motivation of a fellow knowledgeable enthusiast, (and general all around nice guy), the 'attacker' has very base, self-interest motives.

Someone should pee in his Cheerios!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Something I didn't mention in that comment was how the slider was installed with the binding knob on the wrong side (same side as the elevation knob).  Madsenshooter went ahead and posted that nugget, LOL.  This guy also gave away a (very suspicious) 1896C rear sight - sans elevation slide.  Said he wanted to help out fellow Krag enthusiasts by providing a rare part to someone who needed it for free.  Madsenshooter also told me that the guy claims to possess a RR carbine, although it does not have the correct cartouche. 

My suspicion is that he sold an unsuspecting... and unknowledgeable person the sight by claiming it to be a 1901 sight knowing it was wrong.  When I said something, his ruse might have been revealed which prompted his responses.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Don't think you did anything wrong....

Next time, take a dump in their corn flakes.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Ok... I'm convinced the guy is a night crawler!  Further close examination of the photo of that 1896C rear sight that he supposedly"Gifted" someone reveals a rifle ladder!!!  A rifle ladder with no slide on a (suspicious) carbine base spells parts piece... And a jerk trying to profit by misleading others in my book!!!

IP Logged

MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I think there are two kinds of posts along these lines.

-People who are genuinely trying to point out an error or correct misinformation.
-People who like to correct others "on account of they are so smart."

Sometime I think the initial posters jump to the latter conclusion out of embarrassment of their error.  Not much you can do about it.

Now, I am going to hide my Cheerios before my next post.

Have a great weekend everyone!  I will be leveling and bolting my new safe to the garage floor.

IP Logged

1911Ron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
To me if someone attacks a person for providing a correction is trying to hide something or upset that they are not as smart as they thought (ego) i just let it slide as it just isn't important to me.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Hey Paul
You just can't help some people and this dude exemplifies the situation!  Rest assured, if this guy was any kinda person at all he would have appreciated the comments and thanked you.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks Vic... 

By the way... nice new Krag!  Funny about the sight though, LOL

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Yeah, kinda funny having the sight on backwards.  Hell, it might work that way! Grin

The seller did point this out and provided a price reduction to compensate.  It does look like a really nice Krag. 
I'm checking with a guy in Florida on a 1901 sight.

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint