Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 Books! (Read 10082 times)
ABolt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Books!
Jul 8th, 2017 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Hey guys, what are some good books to look for on the Krag rifles? I've heard about the Joe Poyer book but that seems like it's hard to find and pricey. Any other good ones out there for a beginner? Thanks!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Books!
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Right here by Joe Farmer

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Money well spent.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 4:21am
Print Post  
'ABolt' - Well, I'll be d.....

Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", by North Cape Publications, must suddenly be out of print and out of stock!

Until, literally days ago, it could be found on ebay, new, for $22.95, or less. Now, I see one listed for $175!

North Cape Publications only has it listed in "Kindle" version, for $19.95.

I personally like the Poyer book, but, it is not a $175 to $225 publication!

I think you just have to be patient and North Cape Publications will probably do another printing at a reasonable price.

Frank Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", is out of print. Used copies sell for around $200. The 2nd Edition has more content than the 1st Edition. It is an enjoyable and valued reference.

William Brophy's, "The Krag Rifle", has good content and shows up "used", for around $125.

I have not seen a copy of Joe Farmers, self-published work. I believe it is structured for advanced Krag students and likely avoids repeating basic 'beginner' material.

I guess it would be wise to be patient and look for copies of Mallory's, Brophy's, and Poyer's books at gun shows.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2017 at 1:10pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Hmmmm......

North Cape is tapering down. That is why I had to do my second book myself. Perhaps they are at the end of their supply of the Krag book? If so, I'd not expect another printing - but I could be dead wrong, since once a book is set up, changing it is relatively easy. Maybe he is going to go to POD (print on demand) as well. One of the reasons given for said tapering was to no longer have the hassle and expense of handling, and paying for storage of, inventory.

I bought his remaining stock of my first book and am now the sole supplier, or will be when the wells run dry.

Also, have received the proof copies of my new book - turn around will not take long - it will be for sale on Amazon by the end of this month. Finally!!
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2017 at 2:57pm by Dick Hosmer »  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
FWIW - I purchased (online) an extra copy of Poyer's, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", today.

It is listed at Buymilsurp.com for $22.95, plus $8.80 postage - total $31.75.

(p.s. - Buy Dick Hosmer's fine books)!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Poyer's book is out of stock on Amazon as well. I've always wondered what algorithm produces those absurd prices (sometimes exceeding $1000) for a damn paperback. No human in their right mind would ask that. Somebody 'splain it to me, please.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Dick - Would you please post the order details on your new book (and the 'old and new package deal') on the KCA Forum.

(Culver's Pages is temporarily out of service).

p.s. - The sudden 10 fold increase in the "Price" of the 'Poyer Book' is just pure GREED on the part of some 'operators'. They should be shunned!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
The new book should be on sale, on Amazon, before the end of the  month. It will be priced at $24.95 plus postage, and will, of course, be unsigned.

I should have a modest stock for signing and local gun shows, etc. by the latter part of August. Price will be $29.95 but that will include postage (thus eliminating the need for coordination). I will sign (and include custom wording if requested).

Persons wishing to obtain a (signed - that will be the default, so advise if not wanted) copy of the first book at the same time - in the same mailing - should add a flat $15.00.

This is NOT the same offer I posted on Culver (which will be corrected as soon as it is possible) but it is what I want to go with, at least at present.

IP Logged

ABolt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information guys. I will keep an eye out for these to pop up for sale.

IP Logged

ABolt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Anyone seen the Poyer book available at a decent price lately? Can't find it in stock anywhere unless I want to spend $200 for it. And that's just cutting way too much into my gun money!!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
No, I have not. Joe is scaling back his operation, which is why I had to go to CreateSpace/Amazon to do my second book.

I do have another question though. What algorithm or circumstance produces the absurdly    wild prices seen (ocasionally in four figures) on Amazon for some recent paperbacks?

In the case of the SRS books (which never show up at a reasonable price) I believe it is legit, but some of the others are ridiculous.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
It is probably a bad time to try and buy the 'Poyer Krag Book'.

It is probably a good time to buy Brophy's: 'The Krag Rifle'.

I have seen several, gently used ones, lately on ebay, listed for under $100.

IP Logged

Philngruvy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Amazon has it now, Poyer "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". 3rd edition.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."
Al Swearengen, from "Deadwood"

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Good price and good time to buy! 

(Last month, 'Buymilsurps.com' failed to deliver book and failed to return communications on purchase I attempted with them. I had to contact my credit card company and protest being charged).

Saturday, I paid $34 for a new copy (with postage) on ebay. I felt lucky to find a spare copy for a 'travel reference'. I guess, I should have been more patient!

IP Logged

1911Ron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I just ordered mine! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint