Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Books! (Read 10012 times)
ABolt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Books!
Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered 2. One for me one for my dad. He ordered me a book on Enfields a few days ago, figured I repay the favor.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Yelp, ordered mine also.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
I received my eBay purchased, 'spare copy', of Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", today.

It is a new 3rd Edition and was just printed in 
Middletown, Delaware, August 14, 2017.

Quickly comparing it with my 2nd Edition, there are several additional pages probably due to a few new photographs.

I am glad it is in print and relatively inexpensive, again.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:25pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Just received a 1st edition copy of Brophy's "The Krag Rifle".  I purchased the book from Ebay for $79.95.  Turns out it's autographed by the author to a Bill Mook.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Wonderful find!

Bill Mook was a collector, great researcher and Giant Authority on Krags.

He is long deceased, but, his insights and influence on the Krag knowledge base continues.

Mallory credits his great assistance in the Introduction of the "KRS".

Poyer dedicated his book: "For Lt. Colonel William R. Mook, USAF, ret., preeminent Kragologist!"

Some KCA members knew him well. I briefly chatted with him, while admiring his display, years ago, at some Ohio Gun Collectors Shows.

I'm glad his "The Krag Rifle" copy went to a good home! 
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2017 at 12:58am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Love the book butlersrangers!

Especially the many notes, corrections and commentary's left by the previous owner.  Many of which begin with BS.

BS must be an editor's proof reading mark I guess?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
'Local Boy' - I'm sure "BS" stands for Best of Springfield, Basement of Springfield, Brain Storming, or something like that. - LOL

Actually, I am jealous. I view your copy with notes and commentary, likely made by William Mook, as a great resource with valuable insights and factual corrections. You probably have the most valuable copy of Brophy's "Krag Rifle", out there!

What a neat 'Time Capsule'. It would be very interesting if you could photograph some of these notations and post them periodically on the KCA forum!
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:00am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Brokegunner
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:27pm:
No, I have not. Joe is scaling back his operation, which is why I had to go to CreateSpace/Amazon to do my second book.

I do have another question though. What algorithm or circumstance produces the absurdly    wild prices seen (ocasionally in four figures) on Amazon for some recent paperbacks?

In the case of the SRS books (which never show up at a reasonable price) I believe it is legit, but some of the others are ridiculous.

I'm a noob when it comes to Krags so I am excited that there is a question here I can answer!!!

The reason you have seen books listed on Amazon for OUTRAGEOUS prices is very simple... they are actually out of stock.

The way these book dealers are handling their sales and inventory is the key to the problem.  When a seller lists a book on Amazon, they get charged when they sell the book and mark it out of stock... regardless of where they sell it.  To prevent having to pay to relist it (and get charged a commission upon selling) these sellers simply adjust the price to some humongous amount whenever they are out of stock.  When they get a copy back on their shelf, they put the price back down to what it should be.

It ends up being a really failed system, because people who have a copy of an old book will look on Amazon to see what it is worth and they think they are RICH!!  Then they spend 6 months trying to sell a cheap book for 30 times it's true value with no success.  It amazes me that Amazon has not changed the process to compensate for this, but until they do, we will see all kinds of low demand books listed at expensive prices and all are secretly out of stock, although they show them as available Wink 

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Thanks Brokegunner for your insight!

Every time I see those crazy prices I think of your response (and I've seen many of them lately).

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #24 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Amazon also has some odd practices about pricing books that they sell directly. On my first book (2006) they kept the price at the original set level for nearly ten years. On my latest book, released in August, they discounted it heavily from the start, though it is gradually rising again.

At first I was furious as there had been no explanantion, but was informed upon complaining, that they pay the royalty based on my chosen list price, no matter what they sell it for. Sort of priming the pump, I guess.

My first book covered guns which had been neglected in print and thus sold fairly well. The second book - which I should have completed much sooner - deals with exotica which most people do not own. Add to that, the collecting population has aged. I do not expect a high volume of sales, but am grateful for the print-on-demand process, as number two would never have seen the light of day under traditional publishing.

For anyone wanting to write a book, I cannot speak too highly of CreateSpace. Since I did my own photography, layout and design, my out-of-pocket costs to get it on sale were basically ZERO! My ONLY cost was purchasing a few proof copies ($5.87 delivered) as I went along.

IP Logged

kragluver
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I will second Dick's experience with Amazon and Create Space. I ended up using the new Amazon author kit that basically does what Create Space does. Out of pocket expenses s were zero. I was happy with the quality.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint