Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 What do you guys think about a Postal Match? (Read 13637 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What do you guys think about a Postal Match?
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
(You knew it was coming).

Some Quirky rule ideas:

Rule #1. - NO BACK POSITION!

Rule #2. - Slings to be pre-1907 types, (leather or canvas 'tropical'). Must be present on rifle, but, can be used Only in prone position.

Rule #3. - Model 1892, 1896, and 1898 rifles to be used with 30 inch barrels and original types of sights.

Rule #3A. - Sight notches, apertures, and front-sight blade-width may be altered to accommodate visual problems. Sight equipment should be 'in the spirit' of the original Armory design. "1903 Springfield-type" banded front-sight bases, with a simple blade, may be used on Krags with cut-down or shortened barrels for the Carbine or Short Rifle Matches.

Rule #4. - Carbines, (originals or 'inexact replicas', made from cut-down rifles), may be used without sling in a separate 'Carbine Match'.

Rule #5. -'School Rifles', 'V.F.W.' and 'B.of O.F.' rifles, (originals or 'inexact replicas', made from cut-down rifles), can be used in a separate 'Short Rifle Match'. ('Sling Rule' #2 applies).

Rule #6. - No 'Glass Bedding', Free-Floating Barrels, or 'Pillar-Bedding' of Stocks is allowed. Epoxy, pins, screws, and dowels are allowed for repair of cracked, broken, patched, and spliced stocks and hand-guards. Standard barrel-bands are to be utilized.

Rule #7. - An Original 'two-stage' Krag trigger must be utilized. Parts may be lubricated, stoned and polished, but, 'let-off' should be 3 pounds or more.

Rule #8. - Ammunition should be loaded with .30 caliber jacketed bullets, weighing 140 to 230 grains, and moving at a velocity of over 1,700 fps.

Rule #9. A separate Match category should exist for Danish and Norwegian Krags.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:31pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Not for me for sure!  I can just imagine a bunch of guys scouring the range looking for my blown off toe.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Yeah... I would avoid the back position too.  As much as I like the idea of laying around being lazy in the sun...  I can only imagine my torn shoulders screaming in pain (I'm already having a hell of a time just shooting prone)!  Oh... and I don't wanna look for Bob's toe either!!!

I don't have a pre 1907 sling.  How about a piece of rope ala Jethro Bodine? 

Otherwise... sounds great!!!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
No free floated barrels would eliminate one of my rifles.  That's the way it was when I got it.  I've spotted a few others while surfing around.  They got played with a lot back in the days of Krag.

IP Logged

mr.tickle
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 1:46am
Print Post  
I hate to be difficult but I say we allow 1907 slings. Krag's were still floating around that time frame right? Not all of us own M1903 or M1887 slings.

I'm just here for the food...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:57am
Print Post  
I was just floating some ideas that respect the Krag and its era.

I think the goal should be to allow friendly and inexpensive competition, easily open to many KCA members.

A spinoff benefit might be preparation, added interest, and participation in CMP Matches that allow Krag rifles and carbines.

I think it desireable to avoid turning Krags into highly gun-smithed "Match" rifles.

Also, I think there are already ample opportunities for Bench Rest and Cast Bullet Matches for shooters pursuing those interests.

I don't have strong feelings regarding 'banning' model 1907 Slings, Sling use, Course of Fire and positions. I would just note that the Krag was used at a point in U.S. Shooting History when the use of the Sling was just beginning in competitive shooting.

IMHO - A Krag Postal Match may appeal to more KCA members, if it utilizes the techniques and technology of the pre-1903 Springfield era and not become a technology & equipment contest.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2017 at 1:41pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I agree:  let the shooter show his or her stuff... not how much money they can spend on high tech equipment!!!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I guess the sole question that remains is how many shots qualify as an "official" score?  Ten?  Twenty?  Pi?

I lean towards twenty hits but the reality of ammo availablity push me over to ten hits on paper.  (Hopefully all in the X ring)

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
I'll probably be a little more interested after today's eye appointment.  I hate to waste money on glasses, cause I know my right eye is going to get better in time.  I'll just go with the cheapest for now.  Danged onchocerca!

VA optometrist had to have surgery!  No new glasses for Camp Perry!  Back next month to try again.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2017 at 10:39pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
In reviewing my 1904 "Firing Regulations" book and a 1920 era "score book", nothing wonderful popped out for match ideas, course of fire, or targets.

'Back in the Day', everything seems to have been shot at 200, 300, and 600 yards. 'Rapid Fire' and 'Skirmish' targets were Human 'head and shoulder' silhouettes. Slings were not used as shooting aids in the 1904 shooting position photos. Shooting attire was military in styling.

My thoughts, at this point of time:

Shooting to be done at 100 yards (SR-1 target), or optionally, if available, at 200 yards (SR-200 target). In the event of 'Tie Scores', the longer distance is the winner.

The U.S. Model 1907 sling, earlier styles of Krag leather slings, or the 'Tropical' canvass sling, may be utilized on rifles. Slings can be accurate reproductions.

Ammunition to be 'kind of military': 140 to 230 grain, jacketed .30 caliber projectiles, moving at over 1700 fps.

Two suggested courses of fire, (both can be utilized during season):

(35 rounds) - 5 sighters, 10 rounds Prone - Slow Fire with sling, 10 rounds Sitting or Kneeling - Slow Fire with sling, 10 rounds Standing - Slow Fire.

(35 rounds) - 5 sighters, 10 rounds Prone - Slow Fire with sling, 10 rounds Prone - Rapid Fire {fired in under 2 minutes, on 'kitchen timer'} with sling, 10 rounds Standing - Slow Fire.

(No Hi-Tech shooting coats or modern shooting apparel): A basic 'loose' USMC style 'shooting jacket' or a sweatshirt with elbow and shoulder padding is allowed. Earlier & Period 'military style' shooting clothing is encouraged. Safety/Shooting Glasses and Hearing Protection are required. 

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
FWIW - I am a bit of an 'Idealist' and Traditional. I am not disparaging other shooting disciplines. I like all types of Shooting.

But, IMHO, Krag shooting will be a lot more fun, if we aspire to pictures #1 & #2, rather than #3 & #4.

(Feel free to tell me, if I am out of touch with reality).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I agree!  As much as I love shooting in the NM, and I do use a coat and other stuff...  I think in this case, we should aspire to be like our Krag forefathers!!!

Let's get loading and shooting!!!

IP Logged

TexTenn59
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
We could use SR-1 targets to simulate 200 yd (standing slow fire and sitting rapid), then SR-21 to simulate 300 (rapid prone) and then MR-31 to simulate 600 yd (prone slow fire).  These reduced targets would get us close to historical matches.  We use these targets at our local 100 yd range for our monthly High Power matches.

I'll pony up for targets if anyone does not have access to targets.

Or, shoot everything on SR-1 targets to simulate CMP Games.

IP Logged

musketjon
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I just shot a 600 yard match yesterday. Each string had a possible of 200-20. Keep in mind that I was shooting along with the modern crap and F class shooters. I had the only vintage rifle on the line. I wish I had a buck for every "What is that boat oar you're shooting?"  First string I shot a 104-1. Second string was a 127-0. Not too bad for a tired rifle, tired shooter (62 yo eyes) and 1901 sights. Any way, I'm in for the postal match once you get it all hammered out.
Jon
Btw my rifle is an unaltered '98 rifle.

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Did the Postal Match ever happen, and will we have one in the Spring?

Rich
@(:^]#:::

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint