Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag 26 tpi x .180 screws (Read 1466 times)
carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Krag 26 tpi x .180 screws
Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Here is a easy way to make very precision 26 x .180 screws ... You need a drill press a file and a 26TPI die ... You start with 5/16 inch rod anything from brass to titanium Im using 5/16 C360 brass rod today .. Cut in 2 inch length put it in your drill press and turn it down with a file to make screw blanks ... Then you just need to run it through your die to thread it and cut it off to desired length ... most of my tap and die set I purchased on EBAY ....

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag 26 tpi x .180 screws
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I have had a lathe at home for the past 40 years, never thought of making a screw on a drill press. Nicely done.

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Yes I wish I had a jewelers lathe It would be so easy to make screw blanks ... You have to to have special talent to thread screws and have them come out right I would still prefer a die to thread them my real secret is these nice butterfield dies you can thread anywhere from .100 to .315 thanks for your nice comment .... I think some of them might be a 100 years old ....

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I can see where that type die would be a little easier staring the threads straight. The normal die sold today it is difficult to get them started straight.
the 2 most important things with a lathe are #1 a rigid tool holder, and #2 a sharp tool with the correct angles. The first thing I did when I got my first lathe was ditch the lantern tool holders that came with it and build a solid tool holder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint