Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Originality of the rear sight. (Read 2041 times)
SharpsShtr
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Originality of the rear sight.
Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Gents,

I think that I know the answer, but is there any way to tell if the rear sight is the one originally installed or if it's been swapped out at some point?  Thanks,

Matt

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Originality of the rear sight.
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
'SharpsShtr' - Welcome to the KCA forum!

U.S. Krags were basically in service from 1894 to 1920, either as a primary arm, in the regular military and national guard, or as a secondary and 'training arm'.

The rear-sights evolved, from model 1892, model 1896, model 1898, model 1901, and model 1902. Krags were built sometimes awaiting sights, Krags were updated, Krags were repaired and refurbished. Some Krags had their sights changed multiple times.

Much of this was done officially at armories, arsenals, and in the field. Some of this was done unofficially with surplus parts by dealers, collector/restorers, and whoever.

IMHO - It becomes an educated guess. The overall condition of the Krag, consistency of wear and patina, correctness of sight and hand-guard, match-up of stock and hand-guard wood, condition of screw-heads, all give clues and might instill confidence. However, we can not totally know things were not changed.

A lot of Krags (and M1 carbines) have been changed from their real 'last issued configuration' by "Parts Swappers" to make them 'more correct' (and valuable?)!

IP Logged

SharpsShtr
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Yep, that's about what I thought.  The patina seems to match between the rifle & sight and stock & handguard.  But I kinda figured it'd be a long shot.

I was just curious because I was browsing through Brophy's book.  Surprisingly it shows that they only made one Krag rifle in 1904 with a 1901 sight, which is what mine has.  Wishful thinking.

Matt

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 1:52am
Print Post  
What leads you to believe your model 1898 Krag was built in1904? Serial number? Photographs of your Krag will allow better feedback.

IP Logged

SharpsShtr
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Yes. It has a serial number of 480,xxx.  I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Matt

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Model 1898 Krag rifles in the 480K range were being manufactured during the 1903 calendar year.

It is likely the first rear-sight on your Krag was the 1902 rifle sight.

The experimental .30-03 caliber Springfield rifles and the Ramrod Bayonet, model 1903 Springfield rifles, had a rear-sight leaf and slide that was very similar to the Krag 1902 sight.

The Krag continued to be used by most of the U.S. Army, Navy and Marines, at least, until 1908-09.

There is some reason to believe, that before 1905, the preferred Krag sight for regular U.S. Troops was the model 1902, since that sight was similar, to the one on the New Rifle.

However, in 1905, the 1903 Springfield was significantly changed, with a new model 1905 rear-sight and an 18" knife bayonet.

The new Springfield sight had a lot in common with the Krag model 1901 sight. This may have resulted in Krag rifles with the 1901 sight being preferred for the Army and 1902 sights being relegated to the National Guard.

It is conceivable to me that there could have been some sight and hand-guard switching in this era.
There seem to be a lot of Krags with model 1902 sights that were arsenal rebuilt using the surplus knobs and leafs originally intended for the Rod-bayonet 1903 Springfield.

So much of the 'literature' on Krag maintainance and rebuilding (1903 - 1918) seems  based on conjecture. Maybe some of this is documented in Joe Farmers work?

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2017 at 1:04pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint