Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Value of 1896 Krag Serial 35548 (Read 2398 times)
FrozenShorts
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Value of 1896 Krag Serial 35548
Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:17am
Print Post  
We have an 1896 model Krag that was my great great grandpa's.  I am trying to figure out the value of the gun. It's in really good condition and does not appear to be modified. I know there are a few Rough Riders that were issued guns in the 35... It has a unique rear peep site at the back of the bolt.  Strap even looks original.  Would appreciate any help! 

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Value of 1896 Krag Serial 35548
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum, FrozenShorts

The smarter guys will be along in a bit.  First, The odds of having a RR carbine is very small.  I looked in Frank Mallory's book The Krag Rifle Story and there are only two 35K carbines listed.

I can not tell too much from the tiny picture.  You could have a bubba'd carbine stock or you could have a bubba'd rifle stock,

Could you provide a few larger photos of the left side full length, right side full length and a close up of the left side of the receiver only?

While you are at it close the bolt and run a cleaning rod down the barrel to measure the length from the bolt face to the muzzle.  Twenty-two inches is a carbine barrel.  Twenty-three is not.

Best regards

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Howdy... and welcome to the forum!

First of all, if it IS a carbine, then someone added the sling and swivels.  Without seeing the S/N and better pictures, my guess is that it's a cutdown rifle stock.  Also, the receiver Peep sight is not original.  As Culpeper said, better pictures will tell a lot!  Post pictures showing the follow:  Left side of the receiver showing the markings and especially the S/N, good clear picture of the front sight post as it's mounted to the barrel.  a picture of the muzzle crown, and an overall picture showing the right side of the stock.  Like Culpeper said, run a cleaning rod down against the closed bolt, mark and measure.  22 inches exactly may be a carbine barrel, but does not guarantee it (the sight post could have been reattached to a cutoff barrel).  Anything other than 22 inches is definitely a cutdown.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Tiny little picture, but that looks like a 1903 lower band to me???? If so, definitely a bad sign.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint