Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Remington-Peters brass question (Read 1883 times)
Brian Wise
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Remington-Peters brass question
Aug 14th, 2017 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Hello,

I just posted up a "hello" and photo of my rifle in the "U.S. Military Krags" area.  Today, I picked up 53 rounds of cleaned, de-primed, once-fired brass from a seller at a gun show.  The head stamp on the brass says "R-P 30-40 Krag" so I deduced that this is Remington-Peters brass.  I also picked up a full box of Peters "High Velocity" ammo (that I will display only), so when I got home, I googled to learn about the Peters brand.  One of the hits that popped up was a forum post where it was stated that Remington-Peters ammo is "fire once."  Subsequent reloading will result in the neck splitting.  Is this bogus information, or...?  I only paid $8 for the brass so it's no skin off my teeth if I can't reload and shoot this brass (more than once, anyway).  I'd be interested to hear what experiences others may have had with this ammo.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Remington-Peters brass question
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Howdy... and welcome!

Any brass marked R-P 30-40 Krag is modern Remington brass and safe for reloading.  I have reloaded some of my Remington brass well into double digits and it's still going!  Yes, I do get neck splits occasionally, but you can extend this greatly by annealing the case necks.  It's a very simple process of heating the necks until they change color down the shoulder (but NOT glow), and then allow them to cool.  Do it every few loadings, and it will pay dividends in saved brass.

Also, neck size only to save on wear of the case.  Keep the brass with the gun (in other words, don't neck size and then fire in a different Krag, as the brass is fire-formed to the chamber). 

If you want new brass, Graf & Sons now sells 30-40 brass with a GRAF headstamp on their site.

Just go easy... keep the pressures light, and your brass will serve you well for a while!

IP Logged

Brian Wise
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Remington-Peters brass question
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Thank you for your reply!  That's great information!

Brian

psteinmayer wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:06am:
Howdy... and welcome!

Any brass marked R-P 30-40 Krag is modern Remington brass and safe for reloading.  I have reloaded some of my Remington brass well into double digits and it's still going!  Yes, I do get neck splits occasionally, but you can extend this greatly by annealing the case necks.  It's a very simple process of heating the necks until they change color down the shoulder (but NOT glow), and then allow them to cool.  Do it every few loadings, and it will pay dividends in saved brass.

Also, neck size only to save on wear of the case.  Keep the brass with the gun (in other words, don't neck size and then fire in a different Krag, as the brass is fire-formed to the chamber). 

If you want new brass, Graf & Sons now sells 30-40 brass with a GRAF headstamp on their site.

Just go easy... keep the pressures light, and your brass will serve you well for a while!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint