Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
I hope the Iconoclasm stops. (Read 1474 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

I hope the Iconoclasm stops.
Aug 24th, 2017 at 5:39am
Print Post  
The short-sighted, rabid, ignorant destroyers of our memorials & monuments and the media & unprincipled officials that accept and condone it, have started us on a very slippery slope.

Most Americans see the beauty of honoring our past and accept that even great people, causes and leaders have been flawed. They visit monuments and sites significant to our History.

The PC crap and trying to placate the lowest common denominator just reduces the quality of life.

I heard some 'loud intellect' tonight on TV, advocating that statues of Washington, Jefferson, and the Jefferson Memorial should be gone.

I spent last weekend on a couple of beautiful historic battle sites in Tennessee (Franklin and Stones River). The experience was inspirational and moving.

I had at least one ancestor, Anton Gipp, who served in the 27th Michigan Regiment. He was a 52 year old Prussian immigrant, when he enlisted (and lied about his age). He rose to the rank of Sergeant and was wounded three times, (Vicksburg, Spotsylvania and Petersburg).

My family lived in the North and Canada. They never owned slaves and were opposed to Slavery.

No family member ever voiced being offended by a Confederate Monument. Being immigrants, with many Catholics in the family, no one had any liking for the KKK or Segregation.

Earlier Generations of Americans had to forgive each other for us to have a country.

It would be nice to put the focus on building a healthy future instead of 'window dressing' and revising our past.

"Reparations"? - No!

Those Who Repeatedly Condemn The Past - Will Not Be Remembered! ... (sorry Mr. Santayana)  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2017 at 3:55pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: I hope the Iconoclasm stops.
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 10:03am
Print Post  
IMHO, Destroying the past does NOT erase or undo it... nor does it make it go away!!!

We need the past, ugly as it is, to remind us what NOT to do in the future!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint