Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Banded Front Sight (Read 8996 times)
coaspen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Banded Front Sight
Aug 25th, 2017 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
During installation of a new front sight blade, I cracked a solder joint holding the front sight band together. After cleaning away the old solder, I see about a 1/4" split on the side of the band. The band was soldered together when installed on the barrel. I am ready to have the front sight band resoldered to the barrel, but thought I better stop and ask some questions. Was this old solder joint the correct installation of the band? Was it a repair at some later time? Any tips on resoldering that will keep from damaging the barrel? The Krag appears to be an 1896 Saddle Ring Carbine.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Banded Front Sight
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
I am not an expert on carbines but I do not think an original carbine has a banded sight. Some original carbines were modified by traders, maybe banded sights were part of the usual modifications. If you post a picture it may help those with more knowledge.

IP Logged

coaspen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Sorry, I should have sent the photos originally.

(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-25_18_49_12.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-25_18_50_40.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-25_18_51_05.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-25_18_53_12.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-25_18_53_41.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 2:41am
Print Post  
'coaspen': Welcome to the KCA forum.

Your model 1896 Krag, #57656, is most likely a model 1896 rifle that was 'cut-down' and possibly put into a model 1896 carbine stock. Your Krag's serial number is outside the range for model 1896 carbines. (I can not see enough of your stock to tell if it is an actual carbine stock).

Your bolt-sleeve is from a model 1892 Krag. Someone has removed the Magazine Cutoff from your Receiver and the Safety from your Bolt.

Springfield Armory never used 'banded front-sights' on U.S. Military Krags. Your front-sight is for a model 1903 Springfield. Someone slit the band, so it could fit on the larger diameter of the Krag barrel, and then filled the gap with solder. This was likely done by a hobbyist/hunter.

I think your rear-sight is a Krag 1902 (sight) leaf on an 1898 (sight) base. It has been placed on the barrel very far to the rear and is not armory work. Your Krag is missing itsĀ  wooden hand-guard.

It looks like a Krag someone put mixed parts together to make a 'Hunting Rifle'. It should be a fun shooter.

(IMHO - If your Stock is an unaltered model 1896 carbine Stock, it is worth at least $400 by itself).

IP Logged

coaspen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the great information. Is there a better option for the front sight, rather than soldering this one back on?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 4:29am
Print Post  
I'm a bit puzzled by the 'far to the rear' placement of your rear-sight.

Are there other tapped sight holes on the top of your barrel? (They might be filled).

It is possible you have some type of replacement barrel. A real Krag barrel will have a 'P' (proof) stamped on it near the bottom.

How long is your barrel from muzzle to 'closed' bolt face?

What is the Outside Diameter of your barrel, near the muzzle?

Can we see some pictures of the rest of your Stock, barrel-band, and the other side of your rear-sight base?

A replica Krag front-sight base is available from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y. It requires skill and silver soldering to install. This gets expensive fast. You end up with an expensive replica and not a 'correct' carbine.

A better idea of what exactly you have will allow better suggestions.

Some photos to help identify if your barrel is a Krag barrel.

(BTW - When Gunsmiths, professional and amateur, utilized the 'banded' 1903 Springfield sight on 'sportered' Krags, they usually machined a 'step' on the barrel. They reduced the diameter of the barrel, near the muzzle, so that the intact banded-sight base could be driven on and pinned into place).

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2017 at 2:43pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

coaspen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Here are pictures of the stock, barrel, and action. Thanks for the helpful information. The measurement from the muzzle to the closed bolt is 18 13/16". The diameter of the muzzle is 0.67". No step on the muzzle.

(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-27_12_48_19.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-27_12_29_23.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-27_12_11_49.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-27_12_22_39.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

coaspen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Now that you have pointed out the rear sight, it does indeed not look correct. See the gap between the barrel and the sight? Also, there is is a drilled and plugged hole forward on the barrel.

(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-27_12_24_13.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-27_12_22_07.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-27_12_22_15.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-27_12_23_44.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) 2017-08-27_12_25_42.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

coaspen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
It looks like there is a pin pushed into the magazine cutoff. Are the missing magazine cutoff and safety, just pushed into the holes? Is there a feature that retains them? If I found another magazine cutoff and safety, could I simply reinstall them? Sorry if these are novice questions.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
'coaspen' - Here is the good news:

1. You have a valuable and good looking model 1896 carbine stock with sling-bar & ring. (Don't mess with it, like sanding or refinishing).

2. You have a correct model 1902 carbine rear-sight. Only about 1,000 of these were made, so your rear-sight is worth at least about $200. (BTW - This sight was never intended to be matched with a model 1896 carbine stock).

The rest of the news is that your Krag is a mix-master of parts and the 18+ inch barrel is shorter than the 22" Krag carbine barrel. The markings show it is an original Krag barrel, probably a 30" rifle barrel, that has been cut-down. Your bolt handle appears to have been bent slightly to the rear.

If it were my Krag, I would clean out the 'plugged' sight hole (looks like lead) and reposition the rear-sight to the standard position. I would get another 1903 Springfield 'banded' front sight and have the barrel muzzle area 'stepped' for the '03 Springfield sight and re-crowned.

This would give you a nice shooter without too much expense.

(BTW - The 1896 carbine stock featured short forearm 'finger grooves' and a 'sight-protecting' barrel-band, that was positioned more rearward than on other Krag models. The '96 carbine stock utilized a peculiar short hand-guard. This carbine hand-guard can only work with model 1896 sights and the 1896 carbine barrel-band).

A couple of photos to show model 1896 stock and hand-guard:

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2017 at 11:49pm by butlersrangers »  
(You need to Login to view media files and links) GB_96_carb2_003.jpg (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) GB_96_carb4_003.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 1:16am
Print Post  
'coaspen' - Sorry, I missed your parts question. We don't mind beginner questions. Of course, most KCA members were born knowing all this stuff.

The answer to your 'Safety Question' is complicated a bit by your bolt mechanism having a model 1892 'bolt-sleeve', on it.

AFAIK - There are at least two variations of these early sleeves that have their 'Safety-Lever' retained by a cross-pin. There are at least two variations of pin retained 'Safety' levers. The correct Safety is determined by the placement of the cross-pin hole on the bolt-sleeve body.

Things did get simpler with model 1896 and model 1898 Krags.  Their bolt-sleeves and safety-levers interchange. The Safety is retained on the bolt-sleeve body by a 'captured' spring-loaded pin that is a part of the safety-lever.

Cutoffs are simpler. However, when I first read your question, I got the idea you were saying the shaft was still in the cutoff hole???

Anyways, the model 1896 and model 1898 cutoffs are retained by a spring loaded pin or spindle that is staked into place on the cutoff's lever.

There are two variations of model 1896 cutoffs. The operation of the cutoff was reversed, around 1897, so the position of the 'flat' on the shaft changed.

Don't worry, any of the U.S. Krag cutoff variations will work on your model 1896 action.

(FWIW - I recommend you watch ebay and buy a later type of U.S. bolt-sleeve, with extractor (riveted on) and safety attached).

Some attachments: schematic, cutoff dismount, various cutoffs - with model 1896 in middle, later type of bolt-sleeve assembly.

(You need to Login to view media files and links) krag-bolt1_005.JPG (Attachment deleted)
(You need to Login to view media files and links) krag-safety1.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 4:27am
Print Post  
'coaspen' - Upon further examination, your bolt-sleeve is a type of 1892 bolt-sleeve that was altered at the armory to use the later type of Krag safety.

IIRC - Your sleeve 'type' was used on model 1892 Krags that were updated in the early 1900s to 'model 1896 configuration'. Your sleeve accepts the later model 1896 and 1898 'Safety'. A groove has been machined on your bolt-sleeve, so that it retains the spring-loaded pin that is part of the later safety-levers.

photos:#1. Your bolt-sleeve contrasted with #2. an earlier model 1892 type. #3. Parts to look for that should work on your Krag.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2017 at 3:15pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

coaspen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 2:37am
Print Post  
'butlersrangers' - Thanks for all the outstanding help. I really appreciate it.

I will probably do much of what you are suggesting. To get the action "parts whole" I will purchase a 1896 or 1898 safety that simply pushes into place. I will purchase an 1896 cutoff assembly. (Yes there is a short pin pushed into the hole)

For the front sight I will likely purchase another 1903 Springfield banded front sight. I hate to remachine the barrel, but don't see another choice.

For the rear sight, I will clean out the front hole, reposition the 1902 sight, and fill the machined third hole. The diameter of the rear sight fits exactly on the barrel when it is pushed forward into it's proper position, suggesting that it was indeed a rifle barrel.

Any good ideas on where to get these parts?

Again, thanks for all the help.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
'coaspen' - To install a magazine-cutoff on your Krag, first you will have to remove the 'fragment' of shaft from the cutoff hole. This likely can be done by carefully driving it out from the front with a small punch. (Photo showing access to front of cutoff shaft).

BTW - All U.S. Krag barrels, (rifle & carbine), have the same taper and rear-sight hole location.

You can remove the 'plug' in the sight hole by center-punching it, carefully drilling a small diameter hole into its 'shank', lightly tapping a 'jeweler's' screw-driver into the hole for a friction fit, and simply unscrewing the plug. A little penetrating oil helps.

You may have to locate a Krag 1902 sight screw. (Original Krag sight screws have a .156" shank and 30 TPI). S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y. has replica Krag screws and some parts. Their Catalog is viewable online.

There are some parts vendors listed in the KCA classifieds. Parts show up on ebay. I can probably help you with parts if you get stuck.

IP Logged

coaspen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks again

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint