Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 Krag any help please (Read 1907 times)
Tinknocker
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Krag any help please
Sep 4th, 2017 at 4:29am
Print Post  
Hi,
My father Recently purchased this Krag from an Auction we collect ww2 rifles but this was a clean rifle and in too good to pass up.  I would like to know any history if possible and what is not original about it and possibly where to track down parts to correct it!  I have done some research and I believe it is missing the wood on top but I have seen them with and without.  Also it appears to me that the rear sight may be off a later rifle. 
Any way it is a Springfield Armory 1896 82033
Any help is appreciated
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Krag any help please
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Howdy Tinknocker.  Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Krags!!!  Careful, they're addicting!

Well, it looks like you have a Model 1896 rifle that has been cutdown and sporterized.  It has a 1901 rear sight that is installed backwards.  The handguard is obviously missing.  The stock has been shortened to make it appear more like a carbine stock, and sanded to remove any dings, blemishes and dark finish.  Likewise, the barrel has also been shortened and an aftermarket banded front sight installed.  This was a popular modification to make the krag into a more handy hunting rifle.  Some of the other members with access to SRS records can look up the serial number and see if it's listed.

Fear not...  It should prove to be a very good, and fun shooter.  What is the barrel length as measured from the muzzle to the closed bolt face?  Does any markings remain on the stock in the wrist area and behind the trigger guard?  A closeup of the front sight will help identify the brand.  If you don't mind my asking, what did he pay for it? 

Have you fired it yet?  Krags have the slickest bolt of any rifle manufactured, and they're wonderful to shoot!!!

I hope this helps
Paul

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
'Tinknocker' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your U.S. model 1896 Krag, #82033, was likely built around November or December, 1897, as a 30 inch barrel, infantry rifle. The serial number is not listed in SRS data, (Springfield Research Services - list of serial numbers found in official records).

The rifle's stock and barrel have been shortened, after it was sold to the 'Public', probably for hunting convenience.

Your front-sight is a modified 1903 Springfield sight.

Your rear-sight is the Krag 1901 sight. It is on backwards. (Rear-sights were updated, during service, on many Krags).

Your stock wood appears patched in front of the bolt handle and refinished. (All U.S. Krag models had a wooden hand-guard, so yours is missing).

Some of your metal parts appear refinished or painted.

IMHO - Your Krag is a utility gun, to be enjoyed and used "as is". Shoot it and use it.

It would be unwise to put more money into it. It is a poor candidate for restoration.

IP Logged

Tinknocker
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the information and your quick responses!  I look forward to shooting it!  The action is extremely tight with some of the nicest rifling i have seen for a rifle of its age.  I think my father only paid 150 dollars for it so shooting it for fun doesn't sound like a bad idea.

IP Logged

1911Ron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Nice handy looking carbine.  Congrats and enjoy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint