Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 new brass (Read 4717 times)
Jaybird
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

new brass
Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:03am
Print Post  
I just picked up 50 cases from Graf & sons. Have not checked the measurements on it yet but it looks  great and the service was ausome.

Is there anything i need to know??

Thanks!!

Jay

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: new brass
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Yeah...  Load em up and hit the range!  GRAF brass is good to go!

IP Logged

Philngruvy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Can anyone give an endorsement to JBA brass?

"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."
Al Swearengen, from "Deadwood"

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Jamison (JBA) makes the "Graf" headstamped brass.  You can do a search here and find some info.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

BCB
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I’m still using the 1st fifty pieces of Graf brass I purchased several months ago.  Some of it has been reloaded a dozen times.  I am using cast boolits with full charges of WC-872, a super slow burner.  This is producing pressures in the neighborhood of 23000 psi according to QL.  So, that is not brutal…

I have trimmed them several times and they just keep going.  Only sizing about ¾ of the neck though…

I have measure H₂O capacity and it is a tad (not too scientific, but I don’t have my records in front of me) less capacity than the R-P cases.  I did chronograph both cases with equal charges of powder and the Graf produced 30-40 fps more velocity…

I like it and I purchased another bag of 50 pieces…

Good-luck…BCB

IP Logged

RomeoJim
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Hi All,
I just purchased a few boxes of this new Hornady brass for reloading for my 2 Krags. I also use Hornady brass for use with my 250 Savage. Seems like the old Krag is stirring up new interest (with Hornady at least).

Jim

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Money (profit) is a powerful motivator!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Hornady is also coming out with loaded 30-40 Krag ammo too!  Should hit the stores after the new year!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
It would be wise of Hornady to develop a bullet similar to the Nosler 220gr RN Ballistic Tip.  If they try to go with a spitzer load, not all Krags will feed them.

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 2:53pm:
It would be wise of Hornady to develop a bullet similar to the Nosler 220gr RN Ballistic Tip.  If they try to go with a spitzer load, not all Krags will feed them.

Excellent idea.  Now, if we could get younger folks to understand that the RN is not the fuddy duddy, old fashioned, out of date projectile they've been lead to believe,,,,,,,

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 2:21am
Print Post  
For many decades, the record Elk kill was with a Krag, and it was with a RN bullet!  The 180 gr SP spitzer that is now the norm for factory hunting loads has only been around for Krags since the mid 20th century.

IP Logged

RomeoJim
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Back in 1979 (Before I had started reloading) I took a bear in Michigan's U.P. with my grandfather's model 1898 (back then it had an old Redfield receiver sight) using Remington's 180 grain round nose ammo. It was very effective. Still have a few boxes of that same Remington Factory ammo with RN bullets. In reloading for it I discovered that it functions flawlessly with Speer's 150 grain Mag tip bullets over IMR4350, seated not too deeply. Those Chronograph around 2500 fps and the accuracy with that old antique still amazes me That rifle now has an S&K scope mount and variable power scope and now my youngest son's favorite deer rifle is his great Grandad's old sporterized Krag.. This past firearm deer season (and using his rangefinder while in a climber tree stand ) he took an 8 point at 100 yards and 2 days later a nice 6 point bucks at 160 yards using those 150 gr Mag Tip loads while in the same area where my grandfather used to hunt. His older brother and I got zip this year and he claims that it's because he's using his great Grandpa's old Krag. Now I'm thinking of working up some loads for my Dad's old Model 1899 Krag for next deer season....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint