Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Bill Mook 'Time Capsule' (Read 2214 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Bill Mook 'Time Capsule'
Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Regrettably, I cannot claim the honor of having known the late, Lt. Colonel William R. Mook, USAF, ret.

I know his name is on the List of KCA Founding Members. He is credited in Franklin Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story". Joe Poyer dedicated "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine" to him.

I believe, I met and chatted with him, many years ago, at several Ohio Gun Collectors Shows. I recall a very distinguished Gentleman, of military bearing, dressed in a blue blazer and slacks, white dress shirt and necktie. He stood proudly at a table display of museum quality U.S. Krag-Jorgensen arms, supplemented with volumes on U.S. martial arms.

He was very polite and kindly answered 'rookie questions'. I was just starting to pay attention to Krags and not astute enough to appreciate the great opportunity!

Yesterday, I received a promised package from Alaskan KCA Member, Anthony M. - aka "Local Boy". Anthony has loaned me his eBay purchased copy of William Brophy's, "The Krag Rifle". This 1st edition copy was signed by Brophy, in March, 1989: "To Bill Mook - With the best wishes of the author".

A neat part is that, this volume was used to the point, the binding was repaired at Colorado Springs. (Was Lt. Col. Mook connected with Air Force Academy)?
More importantly, Bill Mook made occasional notes and corrections in the margins of the book.

I am going through the work and photographing these notes to post on this thread. (Fortunately, the 2nd edition, The Gun Room Press, and 1st edition, BEINFELD printing, pages coincide).

Please feel free to comment on these notes or share Bill Mook insights and experiences.

Since, many KCA Members probably own Brophy's 'Krag Book', I thought Mook's notes would be of interest.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:49pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Bill Mook 'Time Capsule'
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Some notations made in first two chapters:

(page 16 tables - corrections in math, possible Fiscal Year vs. Calendar year #s, 1896 carbine serial number ranges, and missing years in table).

(page 20 notations - top - includes infamous 'JLA cartouche error' and bottom - F.Y. dates).

(page 21 - low pin safety).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Bill Mook 'Time Capsule'
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Chapter 2 notations continued:

(page 27 - serial number range around time of machining change and some observed exceptions).

(page 30 - type II 1896 bolt).

(page 31 - magazine-gate caption error).

(page 32 - 'headless' cocking-piece carbine error. It is now accepted to have been used on rifles, as well as, carbines made during a specific time period).
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:43pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint