Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 and this is why i reload (Read 10450 times)
Todd Doyka
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

and this is why i reload
Sep 19th, 2017 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
wow!!!!

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: and this is why i reload
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
@ nigh $50/box, they can keep them!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
The link takes me to a page that has been removed.

IP Logged

Todd Doyka
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

prices for krag ammo:
Ventura Heritage 30-40 Krag 220gr RN New Ammo - 20 Rounds $46.38

Ventura Heritage 30-40 Krag 180gr SP Ammo - 20 Rounds $45.83

Remington 30-40 KRAG 180gr Express Core-Lokt PSP Ammo - 20 Rounds $42.52

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 10:11am
Print Post  
My guess is that they are marking up the Remington as a handling charge.  The 220 gr rounds appear to be using Hornady bullets... and I'm guessing Remington brass.  The 180 gr also appear to be using Hornady bullets.  I'd hazard a guess that they are pricing based on their cost of brass and bullets!

I can reload for pennies as compared to this ammo... but I'm sure there are shooters out there who don't reload, and would just assume buy loaded ammo, regardless of the cost!

IP Logged

RichWIS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Checked the Ammoseek web site and there is a lot of 30/40 listed.  Prices ranged from just over $30 a box and up.  These guys were the highest listed prices.

IP Logged

Todd Doyka
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
i feel sorry for the factory loads guys. i still have 30-40 cases that date back to '50-60's. i still load them up.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:02am
Print Post  
You may have paid for your brass as loaded ammo way back when unless you got it as a bag of unprimed brass.  Nothing is diiferent for the new guys.  They pay the going rate for their initial feed stock the same as you did then and I did twelve years ago.  The only difference is the inflation of the money supply causing perceived higher prices.  At some point, the decision will be made by them to reload or continue to pay up.

I preach the gospel of Saving Brass by <fill in the blank with your favorite reloader> to every Krag shooter.  Heck, I tell everyone to save their brass even if they are not reloading at the moment because they might at some time in the future.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Just_Joe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I want to start to learn how to reload 30-40. I have an RCBS progressive loader. What advice do you for people like me just starting out? I have been saving my brass and have 120 cases to start with.

IP Logged

Hoot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
No offense intended, but I do not recommend progressive presses for beginners. It's much easier to keep track of things when one has only a single station/operation to watch. That, and for rifle cartridges such as the Krag, speed and quantity aren't factors.

All that said, read, several times, the sections in your reloading manuals on the process. I kept a copy of the Lyman manual in the reading...err, bathroom, for a couple of months before I touched my first case.

I can't think of any 'traps' awaiting you specific to the Krag. It is very much like other bottle neck cartridges. You'll need to lube the cases for sizing (neck sizing is preferred for a single rifle) and I strongly recommend a Lyman M-Die for loading cast bullets.

A friend close by who knows his way around loading can be very useful. Ask here if you run into specific issues. I, and I'm sure many others, will be glad to help.

Good luck, have fun and report back.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I partially agree with 'Hoot'. I like doing one operation on my batch of cartridge cases at a time (and then changing to the next operation).

If you can deactivate your press from advancing or progressing, you have an advantage.

You can set-up and preserve the adjustment on each of your Dies on the removable 'Die Plate'.

You then can manually rotate and index the plate to a specific station or Die. Since nothing is advancing, you can perform just one operation on all your cases, as if, it was a single stage press.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:02am:
I tell everyone to save their brass even if they are not reloading at the moment because they might at some time in the future.

I've been saying the same thing to people shooting Krags for years.  Anytime someone gets their first Krag... I stress "Save Your Brass!" with any other advice.

As far as people new to reloading, although you CAN start with a progressive... but if you've never loaded rifle brass, I agree that a single stage press is far easier to learn with.  I also think that someone starting out need not buy the most expensive equipment out there!!!  I've been reloading for more than 30 years with a beat up old LEE Challenger press, and I do just fine and dandy... and I load several rifle and several pistol calibers with it too!  LEE Pacesetter dies are inexpensive, and work just as well as RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Dillon, and other brands that will cost up to twice as much as the LEE... or more.

IP Logged

Just_Joe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. I should have started out by saying my RCBS is only set up for 45 cal. I have never reloaded for a riffle caliber.
What is the first book you recommend buying. I looked at reloading books and there is a lot of information out there.

I guess the next question is what dies to buy. I have had people that reload 5.56 tell me to stay away from Lee products. I don't want to start a brand name flame war just looking for a general consensus.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
The Lee Dies work fine for most of us. The .30-40 cartridge is not finicky and is easy to reload. (FWIW - I have RCBS and Lee .30-40 Dies).

BTW - Many of us back off the Die one turn in the Press so that we are just 'Neck Sizing' part of the very long case neck.

(Hint - Keep your Brass separated by the Krag it was fired in).

IP Logged

Todd Doyka
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
i used to have a lyman t-mag turret press but i've got a  lee classic cast press (  (You need to Login to view media files and links) ). i've had the t-mag press for about 25 years or so, but i like the lee single stage more.

30-40 krag dies are in lee. but i have many that are rcbs, redding, hornady ... Cheesy dies. if you do cast boolits, use a lyman m die.

also use a hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Scale and Dispenser ( (You need to Login to view media files and links) ) you will luv it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint