Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Fort Mackinac (Read 7434 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Fort Mackinac
Sep 24th, 2017 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I was on Mackinac Island earlier in the week. Of course, I spent some time at the Fort and was thinking about 'Trap-Door' Springfields and Dick Hosmer's ancestor & noted 'rifle shot', Captain William C. Manning, 23rd Infantry Regiment.

BTW - Mackinac Island was our second National Park (1875 to 1895) and became Michigan's first State Park, when the U.S. Army abandoned the post in 1895. One of the Army's last duties on Mackinac was administering the National Park.

The soldiers utilized two rifle ranges on the Island. A 600 yard range firing North, toward Ft. Holmes, and a 1,000 yard range (probably near where the air-strip now resides).

Use of the Ranges was seasonal, so as, not to "off" any wandering tourists, during July and August.

A few pictures I snapped at the Island:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Fort Mackinac
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
A few more pictures (note - The 'Display' 23rd Regt. insignia is too late for period at Ft. Mackinac):

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I've still never been to Mackinac Island, although when I was 13, we crossed the bridge to the UP and traveled up to Copper Harbor for a week!  One of these days, I'm going to go on a trip to the UP, with a day on the island too!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Oh Paul, you are soooo Troll! (Actually, We splurged for my Wife's Birthday).

Hey, let's borrow your Dad's Trap-Door carbine, go "Up North" to the Island, and excite the "Fudgies" with our 1,000 yard shooting.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Actually, I'd love to do that!  Dad won't let me touch the Trapdoors until he's gone... And he said I should never shoot em (although if he's gone... how's he gonna stop me, LOL).

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Thanks for the post! I believe that is WCM standing, rather stiffly, to the right.

Would be great if the three of us could make the trip. Sorta out of my orbit, but, you never know.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:50am
Print Post  
I'd be in for it! 

..... Now...  How to convince the wife????  Hmmmmmmm

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Easy Peasy - Buy her a pound of fudge, take her for a carriage ride, and put her up at the Grand Hotel. You'll be a Hero for months!
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2017 at 3:58pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Paul, do you think Shepler's Ferry staff would notice, if we brought fully equipped bikes to the Island?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
I don't see a problem with it.  Of course, I don't work for the ferry service... but hey - what if we have to defend the fort???

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Have you guys been to Fort Wilkins?  Been trying to get there for years now, but always seems to be made of unobtainium.  I know it's from the pre Krag era, but still, it's on my bucket list.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Ft. Wilkins, on Lake Fanny Hooe, is a Michigan State Park (and my first Fort!).

I was taken there as a baby on family picnics with relatives, who lived in the 'Copper Country'. I had ancestors, who lived there in 1865. I've been back there a few times, over the years, but, not in the last 20 years.

Located at Copper Harbor on the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, it is a 650 mile drive from Detroit. It is worth the drive, especially in the Fall, with tremendous colors and spectacular views of Lake Superior. (In July and August, probably the best time to see the Fort, the 'Blackflies' and Mosquitoes can be terrible).

The Ft. Wilkins post was built during the 1844 "Copper Rush", abandoned during the Mexican War, leased for time as a health 'retreat', and briefly utilized by an Army company in 1869-1870.

It is a neat 'back-water' military post, that was remote and beautifully situated. It does not appear breech-loaders ever made it there.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:38pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
The Park is still open for another couple of weeks, but the staff is mostly gone (back to school).  As I say this I'm reminded of why we haven't made it there yet…..Tourist Season.  The photos I've seen in the past seem to show the docents in Civil War era uniform and gear so you're probably right about no breechloaders.  Even though it was garrisoned in the late '60s and 1870, the presence off only one company and only 4800 rounds of ammunition as you've shown, would hardly warrant a fully equipped garrison with the latest rifles.  Still, it looks like there has been a lot of nice work done to preserve the facilities.  Thanks for the reference material.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
'olderthansome' - A lot of CCC and WPA work during the Depression preserved and stabilized some Keweenaw sites and created the Brockway Mountain Drive to Copper Harbor.

I hope you get there, soon. On a clear Fall day, you can see Isle Royale (National Park), about 65 miles away across Lake Superior.

The inspector's report in July, 1870, was very clear on the Arms. (I think the "stocks worn" refers to men's neck apparel).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  
My family spent more than a week in a cabin in Copper Harbor when I was 13 (as I said before, my only trip across the bridge).  We toured several of the abandoned copper mines, as well as the only working (at the time) mine, which was Central.  Some day, as me about the rock (almost a boulder) I carried up out of the Central Mine!  LOL Nearly gave Mom and Dad a heart attack!  One day, I'm going to make it back there too!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint