Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Very Early 1896 Carbine Questions (Read 2778 times)
35Whelen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Very Early 1896 Carbine Questions
Oct 1st, 2017 at 2:53am
Print Post  
Hello Everyone!  This is my first post on these boards.
I have had sitting in my closet an old rifle that I aquired years ago from a Gentleman in Maryland.

It is a 1896 Krag Carbine Dates 1895. The Serial Number is 25601. It appears to me to an honest carbine, but with some changes.  I do not think the rear sight is correct, etc...
I have taken some pictures.

Perhaps you experts can help me out and give me an idea of what exactly I have.

Thanks Everyone.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Very Early 1896 Carbine Questions
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Welcome!

I have no reason to believe it is not a genuine carbine, and from the pictures provided, the only thing I see wrong is the presence of a rifle rear sight, an 1898 front sight blade, and the use of non-SA rear sight screws. The carbine version is graduated to 2000 yds. and has a slightly different slide. The screws should be recessed into the base.

There are other features to be considered, such as the extractor profile where it joins the sleeve, the gas hole location, thickness of stock wrist, and the butt trap configuration.

A view of the right side of the action, a view of the wrist, and advising how many rod holes are drilled into the butt would answer the remaining questions.

What I have always wondered is how something like this (an apparently totally proper carbine but with uniquely wrong bits) comes about. How did it lose its' parts? Was it possibly cannibalized to provide a rear sight for a gun with more finish? Did it run through Bannermans? If only they could talk.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
'35 Whelen' - welcome to the KCA Forum. I'm glad your early model 1896 carbine 'came out of the closet'. Thanks for sharing!

It looks like Dick Hosmer has covered things well.

(Note - Because of the 'too high' front sight blade, on your '96 carbine, it probably shot low. Someone has filed extra grooves on the rifle leaf & slide, and altered the sight 'notches', in order to function with the tall blade).

The model 1896 carbine front sight blade (when out of its base) should measure about .266" high and have a small "C", stamped on the left-side near the pin-hole.

Correct 1896 sight screws show up on Ebay and nice repro ones can be bought at S&S Firearms (Glendale, N.Y.).

The model 1896 carbine rear-sight is hard to find 'loose' and can sell for around $500. (Of Course, there have to be at least three variations)! Research the subject and beware of fakes!

p.s. I like your carbine and I'm jealous. Its flaws are correctable with patience, study, and some money. (I'm not an Expert, just a Krag student).

Pictures of correct '96 sight screws, '96 sight-blade, and one variation of a '96 carbine sight:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Here is a picture of a model 1896 carbine front-sight blade:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint