Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag SRC (Read 4120 times)
siderail
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag SRC
Oct 7th, 2017 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Good Morning  Just added my first "96 carbine. #75364 What do you think? Forgot to ask on information about serial number.  Thanks   Freddie
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2017 at 5:54pm by siderail »  

IP Logged

1911Ron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag SRC
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Welcome Siderail!  Do you have any pictures?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
No 'SRS Hit' on U.S. model 1896 carbine, #75364. Closest carbines are #75302 and #75439, both issued in 1899, to Troop A, 1st Nev. Vol. Cav.

Your number not being listed pretty much guarantees it did not go to 1st Nev.

IP Logged

siderail
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Hi Thanks for the response. I don't know how to post pictures yet. I suppose i have to get with the program. (Just an old horse) It is a nice carbine. Little original finish but clean and strong with strong cartouches dated 1897. One thing it does need is a front sight base screw with thin head so sight slide will clear it. thanks again 

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Here is what the 1896 sight screws look like.

You could check with the vendors listed in KCA classifieds.

Possibly "Granpa's Gunparts" has one.

IP Logged

siderail
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Will do.Thanks

IP Logged

siderail
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Hi All Thanks so much for the responses. I took another screw form a "96 rifle and the head would not allow the sight slide to extend its lenght smoothly' Refering to both Brophy'S  and Poyer's books  the front rear sight screw for the "96 carbine is a fraction of an inch thinner. if theres one for sale please let me know. Any comments more than welcome.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Hi siderail,

Try the S&S Firearms website.

They may have what your looking for.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Upon further review, photographs of some model 1896 carbines appear to have a thicker screw-head on their front (rear-sight base) mounting-screw.

Also note, Brophy, (on page 111) in "The Krag Rifle", appears to have incorrectly labeled the front and rear screws (for the m-1892 & m-1896 rear-sight base). From my experience and observation, the front base-screw has to be the longer one and the rear screw is the short one.

(IIRC - Several authorities have noted that it is possible and likely some rear-sight screws were 'mixed-up' over the years. There are some combinations that work with m-1892, m-1896, m-1898, and model-1902 sights. In the course of repair and rebuilding, if a screw could work, a mix-up may have occurred).

Today, I took m-1892, m-1896 carbine, and model 1896 rifle sights and placed a 'thick' head Krag sight-screw in the front base hole. I ran the elevation slide to the forward position on the leaf. In all three cases, the slide cleared the 'thick' screw-head with no interference.

I am left to conclude that the OP has a non-Krag screw or one with very unusual dimensions.

Another possibility is that, there is debris in the forward sight-hole and the screw is not fully 'bottomed' into position.

(The tapped sight-holes are easily cleaned out by soaking with a couple of drops of "Hoppes #9". A Wood Match or Cleaning Patch 'screwed' into the wet hole will clean the hole and threads of any debris).

Attached photos show: 1. Clearance of three slides over thick screw-head 1892, '96 carbine, & '96 rifle. 2. 1896 carbine sight with screws that can work. 3. Thick head screw in place on '96 sight.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2017 at 12:58am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

siderail
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Hi I agree with all of your comments. Brophy's reference mistake,the possibility of mixed screws and didn't wan't to fool with the screw from. a '92. I'll re-check the hole for debris. I'll let you know!  The pictures are great! Thank You

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint