Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
 25 1898 Krag Missing Serial # Question (Read 26084 times)
Marksc
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Krag Missing Serial # Question
Reply #45 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Is the reveal 100% that it is not some sort of prototype or maybe a early receiver design that was change for improvement? Would hate to erase a piece of history. This is it before I broke it down to take pictures to answer everyone's questions.

IP Logged

Marksc
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #46 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Does anyone have input on the small number 50 in stock behind trigger guard.

IP Logged

Marksc
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #47 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Stock

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #48 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Wow, this has been a great topic and, as usual, educational.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #49 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Stock sub-inspector's mark. Various numbers are known - had nothing to do with the odd receiver.

FWIW, my paperweight suggestion is not destructive, nor irreversible should other facts emerge over time. Nor would it 'lose' anything, because - in my opinion - there is nothing to be "lost". Look upon it more as righting a wrong. Is it "interesting"? Yes. Should it be "legitimatized" as part of a rifle? No.

One of the key features of military arms is interchangeable parts. That receiver would be useless in the field, since it could not be put into another stock. NO final inspector at SA would ever have passed that as part of a finished rifle.

As has been mentioned, there is also the royalty issue - that is why it was not numbered. As for being an "experimental", the trigger design had been long settled at that point, plus, the work is not "finished" appearance-wise. I believe that it was simply discarded near the end of fabrication, for failing some gauging test, was scrapped, and acquired later by a surplus dealer.

Again, just my opinion - YMMV.

IP Logged

Marksc
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #50 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
So it is a one of a kind! "Screw up". LOL. Again, appreciate all the great information that's pouring in.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #51 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I tend to agree with the idea that the receiver had a error and discarded into the reject pile, however, does the following picture look familiar?:

Taken from "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd Edition, Subcaliber Attachments, page 96.

You know in U.S. coin collecting there's an "Coin Error" classification.  Wonder if there is one for Springfield Krag errors made by the Springfield Armory?  Not including modifications made post production.

IP Logged

Marksc
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #52 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Can it be explained a little better to me what a subcaliber attachment is or pictures. Picture is identical to what I have the best I can see.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #53 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
As a cost saving measure, military units would sometimes use rifle caliber rounds (sub caliber) for artillery practice.  A specialized receiver would be attached to the artillery piece for that purpose.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #54 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Wow - GOOD catch!!!! Makes me feel like I have egg on my face.

I'd have to think that is what it was. Of course finding any of the associated linkage is likely to be a long cold trail.

I'm even more inclined now though to suggest leaving it loose - if you want to make a shooter, receivers are not hard to find.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #55 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Dick, why you go ahead and wipe that egg off your face because you and other Krag Gurus are a premier source of Krag knowledge and information.  I have truly benefited from you and other's input/insight.

BTW: Did someone say they needed a Krag receiver???

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #56 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 1:59am
Print Post  
'Local Boy' - Great job of spotting that picture of an identical receiver in Mallory's "KRS".

Frank Mallory may have been correct about this 'non-serial numbered' receiver being a component of a 'Sub-caliber Attachment' for Artillery practice. However, I think there are some inconsistencies and errors (which I will explain). 

Both the Army and Navy had sub-caliber devices. The Navy had a device that could be externally attached to deck guns. The Army device was inserted into the bore of artillery pieces. Both systems allowed practice by firing specially prepared .30 caliber cartridges.

Mallory reports Subcaliber Attachments were made at Watervliet Arsenal, using some rifle components supplied by Springfield Armory. Apparently 200 devices were prepared, between 1901 to 1909, for artillery ranging from 3.2" Field Gun to 7" Siege Howitzer.

William Brophy, in the "The Krag Rifle", (pages 206-207), shows detailed pictures of the 'Navy Sub-Caliber Rifle' ("Mark I Mod. 1 Sub-Caliber Rifle"). The device could be solenoid or manually fired, and was attached externally to Deck Guns. The pictures show a regularly machined Krag receiver, with serial number, and a regular trigger which the solenoid plunger strikes. Also, three holes are described as being drilled into the receiver ring to allow the action to be held in the device by lock-screws. The pictured device was made in 1919 by the Boston Scale and Machine Company

Brophy also shows the 'Army Sub-Caliber Rifle', which is clamped into a large bronze collar with interrupted threads, that allow it to be 'screwed' into an open cannon breech. The Krag action is fired with its conventional trigger. The left-side of the Krag action is not shown so I cannot tell if there is a serial number or complete machining.

The picture posted by 'Local Boy' shows a Linkage that I believe to be totally unrelated to the Artillery Sub-Caliber Devices. The Linkage is for a "Cummings Sub-Target Gun Machine". But that's another Story

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #57 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 3:21am
Print Post  
The linkage in the Mallory, "Krag Rifle Story", photo (that 'Local Boy' matched up with the OP's receiver) I believe is an error. It has nothing to do with Firing the mechanism.

The Linkage seems to be the type that was used on Krag and 1903 Springfield rifles adapted for use on U.S. produced "Cummings Sub-Target Gun (or rifle) Machines".

IMHO - It is not a part of the artillery sub-caliber devices. I think the pairing with the 'not quite finished/no serial number' Krag action is a mistake. Sub-Target Gun Machines and Sub-Caliber Devices are different animals. Someone combined parts of unrelated devices.

The "Sub-Target Gun Machine" was a 'rifle shooting simulator'-'training aid' that saw use in the U.S. and British Army & Navy, Military academies, military and public schools, from the early 1900s to around 1920.

It worked on the principle of the pantograph. A rifle attached to the Cumming's machine was aimed at a distant target. A needle mechanism moved in alignment with the rifle's bore, poised to strike a miniature target that was aligned with the distant target.

When the rifle was 'dry fired', a linkage was moved by the rifle's Cocking-Piece. This action pulled a cable that caused the needle to move forward and pierce the miniature target ("sub-target").

If everything was properly adjusted and aligned, the pin hole on the miniature target would correspond to the sight picture through the rifle sights, when the trigger was squeezed. (Yes, we all want one for our Game Room)!

Attached: Said Linkage on a Krag, Linkage on 1903 Springfield, Post Card that is also a miniature target with pin holes.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #58 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 4:03am
Print Post  
IMHO - It is possible and quite intriguing that 'Marksc' may have a Krag receiver, that was made purposely, for use on one of the Watervliet type sub-caliber artillery training devices.

Attached is a photo of one such device that was excavated on Bannerman's Island (in the Hudson River far north of NYC).

Unfortunately, none of the pictures I can find of the Watervliet sub-caliber artillery devices show the left-side of the receiver.

It seems clear to me that the Krags, used with the artillery sub-caliber devices, had conventional triggers.

That Linkage Mechanism, in the picture supplied by 'Local Boy', is actuated by a small rod joined to the Cocking-Piece. It is not a 'triggering' mechanism. It is designed to pull a small cable a short distance.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #59 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
This all, while fascinating, still leaves the mystery of how this receiver wound up in a finished working rifle, with a legitimate carbine stock and barrel.  Again, me thinks it to be a Bannerman... especially since an Army Artillery example was excavated on the island.  Perhaps ole Bannerman was disassembling the artillery sub-caliber devices and assembling the receivers into full rifles and carbines!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint