Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
What Ammo Is This? (Read 1647 times)
White_Collar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

What Ammo Is This?
Oct 21st, 2017 at 12:55am
Print Post  
A lady's husband passed away and she was selling 6 boxes of ammo, 4 boxes contained 54 rounds each and 2 contained 65 rounds each.  The headstamp of each round has "VI46" at the top, a "4" on the left and an "8" on the right, with "HA" at the bottom.  The "8" has the imprint of a triangle on top of it.  The bullet appears to have a "silver" coloring and from the mouth of the cartridge to the tip is 1" long.  Only one box has any markings and tape covers some of that.  It has "65 stk" showing.  Under that is "6,5 mm patroner m. 1946 ru."  Under that is the stamped date, "21 SEP 1950."  I am hopefully attaching a picture of two rounds I photographed.  Any information would be appreciated.

IP Logged

kerry49
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What Ammo Is This?
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 1:31am
Print Post  
I believe you have 6.5x55 ammo , for the Swedish Mauser primarily. Mfg by Haerens ammunition Arsenal, Denmark. This from picture 517, page 228 of Crown Jewels, The Mauser in Sweden by Dana Jones. It's reported there to cause dangerous barrel fouling and therefore dangerous to shoot. Hopefully some others will be able to add to this.
Kerry
Ps. The 6.5x55 was also used in Norway in their Krag rifles

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: What Ammo Is This?
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 4:52am
Print Post  
Here's a picture including the headstamp. And yes, this is the stuff reputed to generate hazardous amounts of cupronickel bore fouling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint