Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Sometimes Even "Bubba" Gets it Right (Read 8317 times)
Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Sometimes Even "Bubba" Gets it Right
Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Sometimes Even "Bubba" Gets it Right
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Krag sporters definitely have their place in our Krag world... and that one is darned spiffy!

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:20pm:
Krag sporters definitely have their place in our Krag world... and that one is darned spiffy!

I've been working on this restoration for the last 3 years. My Dad bought that rifle for $12 in 1958. Except for the receiver sight it was similar to what you see here, albeit maybe not so well finished, but the over all lines were the same.

Several years ago I ran across a Bishop semi-inletted stock in the back room of a local rural gun shop. Even in the poor light, there was no mistaking that it was a Krag stock. It had a Monte Carlo comb/cheekpiece, a pistol grip and white line spacers under the buttplate & plastic grip cap. Straight out of the 1960s

Fortunately, there was a LOT of extra wood and I was able to cut down the comb & pistol grip on my belt sander with ample wood left for the original straight grip profile. The only evidence of the original shape is the very end of the grip cap screw hole that I filled with Accraglas.

When I restocked it I damaged the patine on the buttplate, trigger guard & tang. I had the rear sight holes welded up on the barrel so some finishing on the barrel was also needed. I finished the stock in 2014 and my son hunted with it. In 2015 he finally killed a buck with Grandpa's Krag so I was "allowed" to hunt with it. I killed a decent buck with it at 120 paces, taking him right through the windpipe facing head on. He dropped like a ton of bricks.

I load Hornady 160gr FTX bullets for the 308 Marlin Express at 2580 fps average Mv. Chamber pressure is just under 42K and recoil is mild.

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2017 at 1:55am by Dads Krag »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 12:19am
Print Post  
"DK" - You did a fine job on the family heirloom. It looks far nicer than 99 & 44/100 % of the Krags converted for 'Hunting' that one sees on GunBroker.

I like the matt blue finish on the metal and the re-shaping and satin finish of the gun stock.

It continues to add to your family's hunting saga!

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 12:41am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 24th, 2017 at 12:19am:
"DK" - You did a fine job on the family heirloom. It looks far nicer than 99 & 44/100 % of the Krags converted for 'Hunting' that one sees on GunBroker.

I like the matt blue finish on the metal and the re-shaping and satin finish of the gun stock.

It continues to add to your family's hunting saga!

Thank you for the compliments

It is without a doubt one of the best "carrying" woods rifles I've ever handled. The slender profile makes the 7 1/4# weight seem like far less and one handed carry is very comfortable.

What sets this one apart I think, is the addition of the threaded lug under the barrel that allows a fore-end screw making the splinter fore-end practical.

As for the matte blue? Thus is what it looked like several days ago.

The finish on the wood is Birchwood Casey water based stain. A mixture of "Walnut" & "Rusty Walnut" topped with several coats of full strength Minwax Antique Oil Finish wet sanded with turpentine & 320 grit to fill the grain. After that dries it is wiped across the pores and then allowed to harden. That is followed by several hand rubbed coats of 1 part Boiled Linseed oil and 2 parts Minwax Antique Oil Finish, hand rubbed vigorously, then wiped off after about 30  minutes. The final coat is rubbed with 0000 steel wool and then a thin coat of boiled linseed oil rubbed on & wiped off immediately.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 3:34am
Print Post  
I am glad you have a forearm 'anchor-screw'.

IMHO - Without a barrel-band or forearm screw, Krag barrels tend to rise up from the stock's barrel-channel, when fired.

Without the barrel being 'restrained', a lot of 'torque' is directed against the action bedding and Stocks will develop horizontal cracks in the area behind the action.

You addressed this. You are not "Bubba". Ya done good!

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 10:48am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 24th, 2017 at 3:34am:
I am glad you have a forearm 'anchor-screw'.

IMHO - Without a barrel-band or forearm screw, Krag barrels tend to rise up from the stock's barrel-channel, when fired.

Without the barrel being 'restrained', a lot of 'torque' is directed against the action bedding and Stocks will develop horizontal cracks in the area behind the action.

You addressed this. You are not "Bubba". Ya done good!

The addition of the fore-end screw was done at some time in the distant past prior to my Dad purchasing the rifle in 1958. Probably during the initial "sporterizing"  I merely replaced the old cut down military stock that was damaged, changed the rear sight for something more practical for huntuing and restored the metal finish.

Whomever did the original "sporterizing" knew what he was doing. I have yet to see another Krag done that way.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:56am
Print Post  
The Pacific K1 and K2 'No Drill' sights are a nice compact woods hunting sight for the Krag.

The attachment eliminates the magazine cut-off lever, while filling the opening to retain a smooth cartridge feed.

The only thing I don't like about the 'target knob version' (K2) is that the micrometer staff has to be totally 'un-screwed' for bolt removal. The K1 version can quickly be removed. They both look nice to me.

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:56am:
The Pacific K1 and K2 'No Drill' sights are a nice compact woods hunting sight for the Krag.

The attachment eliminates the magazine cut-off lever, while filling the opening to retain a smooth cartridge feed.

The only thing I don't like about the 'target knob version' (K2) is that the micrometer staff has to be totally 'un-screwed' for bolt removal. The K1 version can quickly be removed. They both look nice to me.

You can leave the micrometer adjustment alone. By backing the lock down screw out and loosening the set screw, the whole thing can be slid out of the rear. I make sure to re-install the sight as far forward as possible and it doesn't seem to change POI significantly.

I made the trap in the stock just deep enough to hold a small rolled up Zip-lock bag that contains a .063" aperture, Allen key and a Penny to break the lock down screw loose.

For hunting I use an .093" aperture.

I haven't put the new load with the FTX 308 ME bullet on paper as far as a serious effort on grouping. The FTX 30/30 bullet shot great but according to Hornady, I was pushing it beyond the design envelope and I had one disintegrate on a bone strike at 120 paces. I hate to think what would have happened at 20yds. With the 30/30 bullet, I could get the ogive just off the lands @ 3.097" OAL. The 308 ME bullet is "pointier" and at the maximum OAL that will feed reliably (3.145") there is still a small jump to the lands.

The 308 ME bullet has a better BC and sighted in 3" high @ 100yds puts it 3" low at 250. I should be able to hold center of vitals on any ethical (with metallic sights) shot  I am resented with.

This is the 30/30 FTX load.

I'm heading out to the range in a few minutes to check the zero and will be taking the old warhorse out to a stand on my property this afternoon. Our rifle deer season opened up this past Saturday. Smiley

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Looks good I did not see any Bubba there either. "you done good".

Bubba is seen when the guard screws are ground down because the bedding does not align from the receiver to the guard on a Krag. 
My 1917 Enfield had one of the sight protecting ears broken off and he brazed it back on, then ground off the bolt guide to lighten the receiver, same rifle had 3 broken off drills in the stock, when you see all that in one gun you know Bubba was there!
Oh, I forgot he drilled and tapped the sight mounting hole 10-32, GRR! I had to make a custom base to incorporate that as I did not want to drill anymore holes than necessary for the scope mount.

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
wow nice I would never have thought of cutting down a replacement stock .... nice bluing job i really like your rifle !!!!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Sounds like your stock started out much the same as mine too:  My 24" cutdown sporter is wearing a Bishop stock as furniture.  It's a big ole hunk 'O wood too with the cheek pad and all.  It could probably stand to be thinned down some too.  I converted the old girl into a Bench Rest Cast Bullet rig, so that big stock isn't a problem.  However, I did used to hunt with it back when I first got it in the early 1980s.  It was a bit cumbersome as compared to a carbine or rifle.

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
carbon outlaw wrote on Oct 24th, 2017 at 9:24pm:
wow nice I would never have thought of cutting down a replacement stock .... nice bluing job i really like your rifle !!!!

psteinmayer wrote on Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:23pm:
Sounds like your stock started out much the same as mine too:  My 24" cutdown sporter is wearing a Bishop stock as furniture.  It's a big ole hunk 'O wood too with the cheek pad and all.  It could probably stand to be thinned down some too.  I converted the old girl into a Bench Rest Cast Bullet rig, so that big stock isn't a problem.  However, I did used to hunt with it back when I first got it in the early 1980s.  It was a bit cumbersome as compared to a carbine or rifle. 

I paid $15 for the stock. The owner of the shop was a good guy and he was more interested in seeing something done with a hunk of wood that had been collection dust in the dark back room than making money.

After all, how many people come in looking for a Krag stock these days? It did have some minor checks in the butt, but I filled them with CA and they are stable and hardly noticeable. Besides, I think they add character to the 118 year old rifle.

The stock was a club. I know there was more wood on the shop  floor than was left on the rifle once I got done.

When I'm poking around on the ground or in an elevated stand that has sight distances of less than 100 yds, it is my weapon of choice. I even occasionally sit in my tri-pod stand with it and it has 1 long shooting lane of about 275yds. The buck I took in the  pictures above was from that tri-pod 120 paces away standing 20 yds inside the brush. It took me several minutes to figure out a sight picture using features in the foreground. When I finally made the shot it was far more satisfying than any I've made at more than 2x that distance with optics.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2017 at 1:28am by Dads Krag »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle Dads Krag!  Nice clean lines and wonderful finish make for a hansom shooting piece.

Did you do the bluing yourself or have someone else do it?

BTW: "Bubba Gets it Right" might be a fun name for a gun smith shop.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 4:05am
Print Post  
A matter of perspective:

We all like to see and enjoy well preserved Krags in their issued configuration. For approximately 35 years, (1894-1930), U.S. Krag-Jorgensen rifles and carbines saw use as military arms or continued on in military match shooting.

(Yes, I know, some may have lurked in lockers on U.S.N. ships in the 1930's and 40's. In recent years, there is a re-appearance of issue Krags in 'Vintage' and 'Roosevelt' matches).

But, for over 100 years, a significant part of the Krag Story has been the use across America of altered Krags as Family Hunting Rifles.

Some modified Krags would make a Gargoyle Wince.

It's nice to see a handsome one and the Hunting Tradition continue.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2017 at 1:27pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint