Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 New Member_New 1896 Model-1897 Manufacture Krag (Read 4526 times)
OBXJER
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Member_New 1896 Model-1897 Manufacture Krag
Oct 27th, 2017 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
New to this Forum but not new to MilSurps.
Just purchased an 1896 Model, 1897 Manufactured (Serial # Records Search) Springfield Krag. Very nice condition. Only things missing are Front Sight Blade which I have already ordered from Numrich, Sling, and Cleaning Rod/Kit.
It is covered in Cosmoline and the metal is splotchy but looks like it will clean up nicely. I am very happy with it.
Now to clean it up, start loading for and shooting it.
One question: Any info on the Cartouche photo. It is on the botton of the stock behind the trigger?

IP Logged

OBXJER
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Member_New 1896 Model-1897 Manufacture Krag
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
More Photos:

IP Logged

OBXJER
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
And More:

IP Logged

OBXJER
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Last Photos:
This batch shows the only problem with the stock - a small chip-out at the base of the receiver.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Welcome! Nice rifle!

It is, however, a Model 1898, not 1896, and was made in mid 1899, not 1897. Would be interesting to know where you did your "research"? The changeover occured around 109000, and the receivers and stocks are signifcantly different in the bolt area.

The circled (P) is the stamp which signifies that a five-round firing (functioning, not strength) test had been successfully completed. It was applied just before the arm was struck with the main [JSA/1899] stamp and accepted into ordnance stores.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
'OBXJER' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You have a nice looking model 1898 Krag.

Dick Hosmer has given you correct information on model and original manufacture time frame of your Krag.

Go slow and conservative with the cleaning. A lot of enthusiasts, new to U.S. Krags, are unfamiliar with how Krags were finished and should appear.

Case-Hardened receiver colors and patina on metal parts has been lost on many Krags by aggressive cleaning and lack of knowledge as to what is correct. Light surface rust and crud can be removed with small patches of #0000 steel wool saturated with Hoppes #9 solvent. A light touch will avoid harming metal finish and patina. Wipe solvent and loosened crud with paper towels as you move along the metal.

Initial wood cleaning should be done with soft rags and mineral spirits. Follow up with a wipe of Linseed Oil. (It appears to me you may have an American walnut stock and an Italian walnut hand-guard. Their colors may not match perfectly. That is 'OK' it happened).

To avoid cracking the hand-guard, it should be removed by sliding it toward the muzzle, after first removing the Stock and rear-sight. If 'snapped' over the barrel, hand-guards will crack. Take advantage of the barrel taper for easy hand-guard removal.

The pin that holds the front-sight blade in its base has a slight taper. To remove the pin, it should be driven 'left to right'.

"Grandpa's Gun parts" in the KCA Classifieds is a good source for original Krag parts and accessories.

If your Stock does not have a 'cartouche' (initials J.S.A. and a date) on the left-side in front of the wrist, it is likely the stock was replaced during an Armory refurbishment. Many Krags were repaired and refurbished between 1903 and 1918.

There is a minor chip/crack in your stock in the area behind the side-plate. A little wood glue, while the wood is dry, should repair that.

Your rear-sight is the model 1902 type that has probably been Armory rebuilt. The serrations look like a 1903 leaf.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
I don't recall seeing this on a sight before:

The elevation 'slide' on 'OBXJER's Krag appears to have a small  'bushing' (on the left side). Maybe, its just tool or vise marks. It looks like the old CBS 'eye' logo!

The small hole, on the left side of the slide, guides a 'spring-loaded' pin with a flange. This well concealed 'pin with flange' is tensioned against the serrations and groove that runs along the left-side of the leaf. This allows the slide to move 'smooth and controlled' along the leaf when the 'locking-screw' is loosened.

(p.s. - I learn something new everyday. I went and looked at six model 1902 sights that I have, on guns and loose. None of them have the 'projecting bushing' of the OP's sight. However, at least three of the slides, although perfectly smooth in that area, have a faint change of shading in the 'browning'/blue. This suggests the slide hole was bored across the piece and then the left side received a 'bushing' of a slightly different steel. On my sight slides, the margins of the bushing are revealed by change in finish color. The OP's slide has the 'eye' shape because the round bushing was ground to the slide's radius).
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2017 at 8:03pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

OBXJER
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone for the info.
I misread the chart on this Serial # site ( (You need to Login to view media files and links)). Thank you for correcting me. As you pointed out, I have an 1898 Model Manufactured in 1899.
I dismantled the rifle today and completely agree. This is almost assuredly an arsenal rebuild. The stock is too perfect, and (as was pointed out) the hand-guard doesn't match the stock, most of the screws haven't been bunged up, and it was still covered in cosmoline. The barrel only has some very minor pits along the stock line and is in very good condition.
I have restored 2 Martini Henrys, a 1906 M96 Mannlicher Dutch Rifle, a Yugo 24/47, and a 303 SMLE and of all of them, this rifle is in the nicest condition. A little cleaning and oiling and it will be ready to shoot. Now to make the cartridges.
Thank you again for your input.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Krags!  Careful, they are quite addictive...

Everything Dick and Butlersrangers said is spot on.  I'll add one thing though: Once you've removed your hand guard, install a quarter and a nickel in the two spring clips.  The clips have pretty tight tension, and this will prevent the clips from pulling the handguard closed and cracking, while maintaining spring clip tension while the handguard is removed.  The quarter and nickel are about the same size as the barrel diameter where the clips sit.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 2:15am
Print Post  
I saw that on the slide right off.  I also noticed the cross hatching of the leaf, that makes for very fine adjustment, though it's very hard to feel when you've moved only one notch.  From the 1903 sight perhaps?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I wish the 1902 on my Vintage Match 98 had the finer serrations.  I'd like to have a little tighter control over elevation.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Did they ever make a sight micrometer for that model? If not, I wonder if you could jury-rig something?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
I have never seen a micrometer rig for fine tuning the elevation settings on a Krag 1902 rear-sight.

p.s. Once I started looking for it, the outline of a 'bushing' on the left-side of 1902 sight 'slides', is visible in proper lighting. Also note, photos show two variations in 'leaf serrations'.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Oct 28th, 2017 at 3:08pm:
Did they ever make a sight micrometer for that model? If not, I wonder if you could jury-rig something?

It seems unlikely anyone bothered with fine adjusters for the 1898, 1902 or 1903 sights since serious competitors of that era wanted a Buffington - and they (eventually) got the 1901 and 1905 sights to satisfy the need.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint