Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Black Powder Questions (Read 6823 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Black Powder Questions
Nov 4th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I realize that black powder is not really Krag related, but I also know how smart everyone is on this site.

My brother-in-law found an old pound of Dupont FFFFg powder in his mother's house buried in a closet, and brought it to me because he knew that I would know what to do with it.  My guess is that the can is 40 years old or more.  As far as I could tell, it was unopened.  I opened it and checked it for any signs of degradation... and found one tiny clump at the top that broke up as soon as I touched it.  I poured a small amount (about 50 grains) into a pan and did a burn test... and got a nice POOF out of it. 

My questions are this:  Is this still viable powder?  What could this be used for?  I'm planning on loading some 45/70 in the near future.  Can FFFFg be used for 45/70?  I also have an older replica 1858 Remington ball & cap revolver, can this powder be used for that? (I used to use FFFg, and now I use Pyrodex P).  If this powder is not safe, then I'll destroy it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

HeyJoe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Black Powder Questions
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I shoot a lot of BP and believe 4f is to fine for loading 45/70 or a cap and ball revolver.  Should use Swiss 1 1/2f or Goex 2f in the 45/70 and 3f in the revolver.  4f is normally used in the flash pan of flintlocks.  BP also needs to be packed tightly in the case or cylinder behind the bullet, no air gap.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I've read the same warning about 4Fg as a flash pan only powder.  Check black powder reloading books for safe loads

Don't do it!  Danger city Will Robinson!  Use coarser grained powder for your main load in your 45-70.

We don't need a P. Steinmayer Memorial Krag Trophy floating around or a P. Steinmayer Missing hand and half his brain  Memorial Krag Trophy floating around.

« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:31pm by Culpeper »  

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 1:09am
Print Post  
HeyJoe wrote on Nov 4th, 2017 at 7:59pm:
. . . 4f is to fine for loading 45/70 or a cap and ball revolver. . . 4f is normally used in the flash pan of flintlocks. . .

I think he meant "too fine".

Agree, 4F is strictly for priming flintlocks. Quick stuff!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 4:01am
Print Post  
Black Powder has an extremely long 'shelf-life', if kept in a relatively dry environment. It is a mechanical mix of sulphur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate, so it is not subject to the chemical deterioration that happens with time in smokeless powders.

The 4F granulation is intended for priming the pans of flint-locks. I guess Life is telling Paul to get a Flint-lock!

FWIW - In my silly years, I had several pounds of 4F Curtiss & Harvey powder, which I used up in 45 grain 'Skirmish/Target-Loads' in my reproduction .58 cal. 'Zouave' percussion ML rifle. I also fired 4F in a brass frame replica percussion revolver. Nothing unusual happened and function and accuracy seemed normal. Maybe, Angels were looking over me.

I wouldn't do it now. I am certainly not recommending anyone test fate. Back then, I did not know any better.

IP Logged

HeyJoe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I did indeed mean too fine as in too fast.  Should enjoy a peaceful day at the range, not a significant emotional event.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks one and all.  I just wanted to make sure of what I was dealing with, since I've never encountered 4F before (I've used 2F and 3F before).  I'll tuck it away in the back of the safe for future days.  I do hope to get a flintlock one day just for some fun shooting!

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 1:03am
Print Post  
I've been shooting flintlocks since 1989. A can of ffffg powder lasts a long time for priming powder as you only use a few grains. Never heard this fine of a powder used for anything else besides maybe a few grains in a parlor gun.

Once you go flintlock you may never go back. But when I'm too lazy and want to shoot I'll get my Krag out or other such newer ignition type gun since the clean up is easier.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Nobody needs to own fixed ammo firearms, Steinmayer.  Quill pens and screw presses are good enough for writers and printers then, by gum, flintlocks are good enough for...  Oh, wait.  I guess writers and printers have embraced newer technology. 

Ohhhhh and those are fully automatic presses too.  One button and they can print 800 sheets a minute.  Some one point me in the direction of the statute creating the Federal Printer License.  Would that be with the Bureau of Printing?

Roll Eyes

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
That automatic stuff is just a "flash in the pan".

Of course y'all know where that phrase came from, right? It comes from ffffg powder poured into the pan of the flintlock, which is ignited from sparks as the flint hits the frizzen. When it starts to burn and flashes it ignites the main powder charge thru a hole drilled thru the barrel adjacent to the pan. If the powder in the pan burns and the main charge in the barrel doesn't, it is referred to as "just a flash in the pan".

Sorry if I bored anybody on this. I don't know if the above is common knowledge or not.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Well, I sort of "Half knew that!"  I knew it came from flintlocks, but I didn't know it referred to a mis-fire where the main charge failed to fire.  And no... you didn't bore me!!!

Culpeper, on the other hand.......

Heehee, Love ya Paul!

By the way Paul, you need to start planning so you can be back stateside for the Roosevelt Match next summer!  Just sayin!!!

IP Logged

HeyJoe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Priming quills for the 6 pdr uses 4f a bit faster

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:42am
Print Post  
I took my Charleville to a Boy Scout campout, explained things like "lock, stock & barrel" and "flash in the pan".  Then I let them load it & shoot it, with very close, one on one supervision. 

We shot it at a Redcoat painted on a refrigerator carton.  The first shot hit the Redcoat in the groin. 

Two of the parents called me a terrorist, took their kids out of Boy Scouts.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 4:25am
Print Post  
Maybe they were Loyalists? You insufferable brigand!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
reincarnated wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:42am:
I took my Charleville to a Boy Scout campout, explained things like "lock, stock & barrel" and "flash in the pan".  Then I let them load it & shoot it, with very close, one on one supervision. 

We shot it at a Redcoat painted on a refrigerator carton.  The first shot hit the Redcoat in the groin. 

Two of the parents called me a terrorist, took their kids out of Boy Scouts.

It's saddening that some people are so shallow minded that they don't see the benefits of education... and associate a centuries old musket and revolutionary war references with modern AR style weapons and terroristic tactics.  I guess anyone with a single shot flintlock can go on a shooting rampage and kill more than one every ten minutes! 

It boggles my mind!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint