Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Unmolested 1896 Sporter (Read 2383 times)
condorjohn
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Unmolested 1896 Sporter
Nov 6th, 2017 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I found an unmolested 1896 that was put in a sporter stock. 1897
manufacture date with 1898 rear sight. Don't know if this is the proper place for this but, what I have in mind is if there is anyone that would consider trading a sporterized '96 for this one.
That is, we just trade barreled actions. More pics and detailed description on request.

So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Unmolested 1896 Sporter
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 1:19am
Print Post  
'condorjohn' - A minor point, but, the rear sight, shown in your good photos, is actually a model 1902 rifle sight.

(IIRC - It is not likely model 1898 rear-sights were ever put on model 1896 Krags).

IP Logged

condorjohn
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 4:17am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. I knew it wasn't an original for this model. When I searched the different Krag sights I only got more confused. There are so many different variations.
"So much to learn, so little time".

So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 6:57am
Print Post  
The model 1898 sight had three sight notches, sharp square corners,  a low curvature on its base, and a different style of spring for the leaf, plus other differences.

Both the 1898 and 1902 sights were developed by Lt. Dickson and bear similarities.

The 1898 sight was for a short lived higher velocity .30-40 cartridge, (that propelled the 220 grain bullet to 2,200fps). The cartridge was abandoned, when Krag bolts started to develop cracks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
'condorjohn' - FYI - A model 1898 Krag barreled-action will also fit into your sporter stock. It just leaves a bit more gap in the bolt handle area, but, it is not terribly noticeable.

(BTW - a model 1896 barreled-action will not fit into a model 1898 stock, without altering the wood in the bolt-handle area and ruining the value of the stock).

What is the condition of the bore on your model 1896? It looks like it is begging for restoration. That has become an expensive process, especially the wood!

(p.s. - I do not have a sportered model 1896 to swap. I may have a sportered model 1898).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint