Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
More Non-Krag ammo questions (Read 3567 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

More Non-Krag ammo questions
Nov 8th, 2017 at 1:10am
Print Post  
My brother-in-law came by again on Sunday and gave me a box of various ammo.  In it was a full box of 38 S&W, several boxes of 22 long and short, various 16 and 410 ga shells, and a few other odds and ends.  What interested me however, was the 174 rounds of .30 Carbine ammo.

94 of them are ball rounds (47 WRA-45, 33 PC-43, 8 RA-52, 3 LC-43, and 3 WCC-42).  The condition is mostly dark or tarnished... however a few have severe corrosion in which case I would never shoot them.  I'm going to try and clean up some of them to see how they look.

The remaining are reloads.  most with soft-point jacketed bullets but some with lead nosed bullets (jacketed section is pressed into the case and a smaller lead portion is exposed).   The majority of them are in military brass (mostly LC-51 and RA-52).  Now here is the really interesting thing about these reloads: About a third of them still have the crimped and sealed military primers in the case, which means that someone pulled the bullets and replaced them with different bullets (mostly the SPs, but 4 of them have the lead nose bullets). 

Oh yeah... and one of those reloads had the primer installed backwards (anvil facing the rear)!

Ok, now here comes the question:  What should I do with all of these carbine rounds?  I'm not sure I'd shoot the reloads because I just don't trust other peoples reloading practices (especially after finding one with the primer installed backwards).  I'd consider keeping the military ball rounds, but doubt I'd shoot them either (I don't have a M1 Carbine anyway). 

Suggestions?

I also have four original strippers too.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: More Non-Krag ammo questions
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 2:55am
Print Post  
Well, back in 1937, Sharpe wrote about using .32 caliber pistol bullets in the Krag & '06.  There is no reason why the Carbine bullets would not work for you. 

GI Carbine ammo was loaded with non-corrosive primers from the very start, so no worries there.  The GI ammo was supposed to be loaded with ball powder.  When you pull the bullets, you can salvage the powder.  But check every load you pull.  The powders & charges may be different, but may well work as a minimal load in a Krag. 

Give the carbine cases away.  Some pilgrim will want them.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Somebody Roll Eyes would really like the .38 S&W for his M1894 revolver if he was not sitting in Kenya.  And somebody Cheesy would really like the 16 gauge shells too.  Are the 410 shells all brass or paper or plastic?  Somebody has been meaning to buy a 410 shotgun. Sad

As for the carbine ammo.  Pull the bullets on the reloads and dump the powder.  Melt them down if they are lead.  Then punch that one prmer out and then go to your shooting club and sell the kit and kaboodle for 10 cents each, loaded or not.  Never trust anyones reloads.  Heck.  I don't even trust mine. Shocked

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Ok Paul...  I'll put the 38 S&W away for you.  The 16 ga are all modern plastic hull.  The 410s are all paper hull.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 4:20am
Print Post  
The carbine ammo that had the pulled bullets **may** have originally been tracers and had the bullet replace so it could be shot on a range.

I have a WWII Inland M1 Carbine and a late 1945 (post war) Inland M1 carbine with a registered disconnector, so I am always looking for carbine ammo.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks much.  I'll take the 16 gauge stuff too if you can not find a home for the 16 gauge stuff.  But do try try to find it a home first.

We'll settle up next summer..

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Paul...  I'll hang onto the 16 ga shells too for ya.  One condition:  Ya gotta show up at Perry for the Roosevelt again next summer! 

Mike...  I'll hang onto the carbine stuff for you if you want.  I don't have a carbine, and unless the gods smile on me financially in the next few months, I won't have one anytime soon... so I really have no need for it.  I can give it to you at Perry too next summer.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Wish I could make it next year but the timing is a week and a half off if I were to stay here for my 365 day performance bonus.  A few weeks longer if I take any kind of vacation between now and August 5th.

It was enough that I rolled the dice and made it this year.  So what that I came in dead last of the Krag shooters. Angry  Cheesy   I had a blast and met a bunch of fine gentlemen.

Hey all you lurkers out there.  Come on in and join the forum.  I can see you through your screens all the way from Kenya.   You with the geezer hair!  Don't point to yourself and say "who me?".  Yeah You!   Bring that grandson of your's too.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Well, Hows about you just come to good ole Michigan and regale me with stories of your amazing bravado?

Anyway, I'll hang on to the 38 S&W and 16 ga stuff until you can make an appearance!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
bravado?  Here. Let me correct the spelling for you. 

windbagishness.

But yes, I will swing by next summer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint