Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Help Please. Mismatched Safety ??? (Read 5653 times)
Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Help Please. Mismatched Safety ???
Nov 9th, 2017 at 3:59am
Print Post  
Hello all,

First off let me say ow much I have enjoyed poking around the site off and on for a few years.  (Thanks Madsenshooter)

I have a problem that I'm sure has been encountered before, but I am unable to find anything by search.

I bought my sporter from an out of state friend a few months ago.  At the time I didn't have time to really play with it, it went in the case, drove home after the visit, and in the safe it went.

Pulled it out today to start prepping for reloading and encountered problems raising the bolt handle.  Flipped the safety all the way to the right  then back to the left and no go, as if the safety was in the right hand locked position.

Eventually I put a bit more pressure trying to raise the bolt and ended up with the safety pooped out in my hand.  Hmmmmm,,,,.

Took the bolt apart and reinserted the safety.  Upon trying to reassemble the bolt the bolt handle would not rotate  the bolt to finish assembly.

Long story short, after futzing with it for a bit it became clear the the safety appears to incorrect as the half moon shaft of the safety is incorrectly timed to allow the bolt handle to rotate the bolt with the safety in the "Off" position.

To rotate the half moon shaft of the safety to allow the bolt handle to rotate, the safety must be set halfway between the "Off" position and "Up" (cocker locked) at approximately a 45* angle.

To open the rifle the safety is put in the "Off" position, the cocking piece is pulled, the safety is rotated 45*, and then you can lift the bolt handle.  To fire, close the bolt, rotate the safety down to the left to "Off", and then you may pull the trigger.

As I say, it appears to be an incorrect safety due to the timing of the position of the cutout on the shaft.

Anyone have a clue?  (I think I may have time to take a couple pics tomorrow afternoon)

Rich

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2017 at 5:16am by Hamish »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Help Please. Mismatched Safety ???
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 5:17am
Print Post  
'Hamish' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. A photograph of your problem safety would allow an easier and better analysis of what is amiss.

I assume you have a U.S. model 1896 or model 1898 Krag.

The likely problem is either:

1. Somehow the shaft on your safety-lever has rotated in relation to the lever. (Out of 'time', as you say). I don't know if that is possible. I've never seen it happen.

2. The part has been altered or someone has rigged up a 'non-Krag' replacement safety-lever.

It is easiest to assess the problem by disassembling the bolt and viewing the alignment of the tip, of the safety-lever shaft, as it is rotated in its place on the bolt-collar.

Photos: 1. Safety-Lever showing orientation of shaft. 2. Bolt-collar with safety in 'off' or 'Fire' position. (Tip is recessed in a niche). 3. Bolt-collar with safety in 'On' or 'Safe' position. (Tip is visible and would lock into a notch on bolt-body, to prevent bolt from being opened). 
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:43pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 10:22am
Print Post  
My apologies, serial number 38669X,  unsure if '96 or '98.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
'Hamish' - In that serial number range, your altered Krag started out as a U.S. model 1898 rifle.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
I've seen Krag rifles with different safeties.  I even paid Numrich over $20 for one once, they sent something else.  It would go in the right place, but the buddy that I got it for quickly found out it didn't put the rifle on safe.  I finally got him a correct one, not from Numrich.  Don't buy from them!  They're darned liberal with their "substitutes"!

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers,

Well, I sat down to drink my coffe and see if I was going to have to call off work again with this creeping crud, looking over your post and it finally bit me.

The shaft of the safety has spun out of position and the cut out is now incorrectly timed.

Apparently it is possible.  I will post up pics this afternoon.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
'Hamish' - Wow!

1. Somebody must have taken your Safety-Lever apart and reassembled it incorrectly.

Or:

2. Somebody put tremendous force on the lever and stripped the corners off the 'pentagon' shaped end of the shaft. (Unlikely)

As you can see, the lever was fitted on to a 'pentagon' shaped shaft, the shaft-end was 'peened' to lock the parts together, and the parts were 'dressed' to hide the connection.

This sub-assembly (Safety-Lever) was not intended to be taken apart.

(p.s. - You can shoot your Krag at the Range without the Safety. I would advise simply replacing your 'messed up' Safety. The part shows up on ebay or you can try the vendors in the KCA 'Classifieds').

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
If someone pushed that apart and reassembled wrong, it may be possible to push it apart one more time and get it correct according to Butler's Rangers photo. I agree it is unlikely from too much force with that pentagon connection.
If someone really pried hard to get it off the bolt they may have pulled the safety apart in the process. If so one of the 2 detents may have damage.

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 2:28am
Print Post  
What I started with:

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Bubba's handiwork "creating" a new way to open the rifle:

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 2:43am
Print Post  
The shaft was spun in the safety and it didn't take much to rotate it back around ,,,,,, Roll Eyes

I have (crudely) "staked" and peened it back in place.  I may have it tig welded if it doesn't hold.  Part of the "problem" is that the ball detention stops have enough slop in them that care must be taken to actuate the safety when it is in in correct position.  (Not a "problem" as I see it, the poor thing is well over a century old and has been done dirty by the bad, bad, man)

I now have a fully functional rifle that I now know quite a bit better.  Thanks very much butlersrangers (br?), Fred, and Mad for your input!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 3:44am
Print Post  
That Bubba guy sure got around doing his stuff! I am thinking the pentagon shape does not go all the way through and only catches on the outside. Maybe the rest of the shaft is round?
There has been some discussion on how available and cheep Krag parts are today. Movieman evidentially has a large hoard of new (unused) bolts and other parts. A temporary fix will get you going for now and a new or used part for looks later, might be a plan.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:54am
Print Post  
'Hamish' - I have a hunch that 'bubba', or his little brother, tried to alter the function of your Safety-Lever.

If a Rifle-Scope is mounted on a Krag, the scope 'Eye-Piece Housing' interferes with the function and movement of the Safety-Lever.

Some commercial Safety-Levers were made by companies like Buehler and Paul Jaeger, (I think), that changed the Safety's rotation and had a Lever shaped to clear the Scope's eye-piece.

Changes to your Safety-Lever and Striker-Rod suggest to me, that is what was being attempted, with your parts.

I would suggest you keep an eye open for another Striker-Rod, as well as, a Safety-Lever. I have edited and marked two of your photos to show where your parts have been altered.

FWIW- Sometimes an entire Striker/Bolt-Collar/Extractor/Safety-Assembly will show up on ebay and sell for less money than you might pay for just a Safety-Lever

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Yah! Problem solved.  Looks like you got you a nice one Rich, a candidate for back to military trim.  Have fun with it!

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 1:53pm:
Yah! Problem solved.  Looks like you got you a nice one Rich, a candidate for back to military trim.  Have fun with it!

Thanks Bob.  I need to do a show and tell, pretty sure I've got a Frankenrifle,,,,,,,,, Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint