10 Stock refinishing (Read 6042 times)
MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Stock refinishing
Nov 12th, 2017 at 1:30am
Print Post  
I am getting close on my BoOF tribute rifle.

Question for all you woodworking guru's out there.  How far should I take the sanding before finishing?  220?, 600? 0000 steel wool?

Also I would appreciate any thoughts on stain/oil process to get it to look close to the rest of my collection.  It is unfinished walnut.

thanks in advance.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Stock refinishing
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 4:05am
Print Post  
I cannot speak with any certainty on original Krag stocks, but most military stocks in the 20th century were sanded to somewhere between 150-220 grit "as issued", but smoothed out pretty quickly as they were handled/used.

Stocks were not stained, but finished with raw linseed oil.  The fatty acids in the raw oil oxidize and darken to a rich reddish brown color over time - it can take years.  You can give the oxidation a jump start by putting the oiled stock in the hot sun.

Best source for raw linseed oil I am aware of is health food stores.  They sell it as "cold pressed flaxseed oil".

Pure tung oil produces a similar finish.

Raw linseed oil and pure tung oil cure very slowly.  It can take a few weeks for the finish to fully cure.

"Boiled Linseed Oil" has most of the fatty acids removed, and has chemical dryers added to speed up cure time.  It produces a decent finish, but does not have the rich colors that raw linseed or pure tung oil produce IMO.

To apply it, working in a small area, put a few drops on the stock and rub it in with you bare hand/fingers.  Rub it in until it gets hot, then move on to the next area.

If you have an attractive grain pattern and you do not want the stock to get any darker, you can "freeze" the color by using MinWax Tung Oil Finish, which contains both tung oil and a varnish.  One or two coats of that over the oil finish will seal the wood and prevent the oil finish from oxidizing further.

Attached a few photos of a Czech Vz 52 rifle with a walnut stock that I finished with raw linseed oil

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:23am
Print Post  
I may be disbelieved and vilified, but, U.S. military stocks were at one time stained.

This included model 1873, Krag, and early 1903 Springfield, and most earlier ML and breech-loading rifles.

Logwood stain was used to give stocks a reddish brown coloring. The practice was discontinued at Springfield in the 1920's, as an economy move.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Which method did you choose to arrive at the shortened stock?

I have two genuine BoOFs, but neither has the "correct" stock. One is in a carbine stock (as is the example at Springfield) and the other has the (presumably original) stock chopped 1/8" ahead of the band.

I guess the total forend swap with joint under band is the easiest, though I've also toyed with the idea of various ways to modify an original full-length stock, which assures a perfect match of color, grain, and patina - and the inside feature (omitted cut) is never going to be right no matter how the stock is faked. My butt joint would be under the front band, which preserves the factory tip appearance. Just whacking the stock and doing a "school-gun" filler would look terrible.

As to finishing the wood, I've read a lot of articles but never actually done it. Depending on what you have to start with, staing may be required, followed by oil rubbing, as described elsewhere in this thread.

Are you in the north or south Bay Area - or have I asked that question before?

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:23am:
I may be disbelieved and vilified, but, U.S. military stocks were at one time stained.

This included model 1873, Krag, and early 1903 Springfield, and most earlier ML and breech-loading rifles.

Logwood stain was used to give stocks a reddish brown coloring. The practice was discontinued at Springfield in the 1920's, as an economy move.

Did not know that.

Could you please tell me your source for this information?  Not because I am challenging it, but I would like to get a copy of it for my own records. Smiley

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
'AFJuvat' - William S. Brophy noted the discontinuing of Logwood Stain in his work, "The Springfield 1903 Rifles", on page 57.

FWIW - This makes sense to me and explains U.S. gunstock coloring I have observed from different eras.

(I have not personally verified Brophy's research).

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 10:09pm:
'AFJuvat' - William S. Brophy noted the discontinuing of Logwood Stain in his work, "The Springfield 1903 Rifles", on page 57.

FWIW - This makes sense to me and explains U.S. gunstock coloring I have observed from different eras.

(I have not personally verified Brophy's research).

Thank you!

That would explain why many of the older stocks had a richer shade of reddish brown than the WWII era stocks.  Most contemporary sources, and even the CMP do not mention the use of a stain.

I am going to have to do some research and see if that stain is still available.

EDIT:  Found a source for logwood extract.  It looks like it was a rather involved process to make the stain.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
AFJuvat,

Don't know if you've been to this sight?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Interesting discussion, I wonder if Haematoxylin stains, used by histology for specimen slide staining, would work?

I guess I'll have to talk with our Pathology folks and see if I can acquire some.

Otherwise, I just use Birchwood Casey's walnut stain and apply till I reach the shade desired.  Not always fool proof but it applies well and is very forgiving.

Maybe I'm not a purist but I do get the results that appeal to my taste while trying to stay true to the original look.

IP Logged

craigster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Alkanet root based stain will also give a nice reddish/brown tone.

IP Logged

MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
To answer Mr. Hosmer's questions, and share this sorted tale with the group:

A little over a year ago I shared some pictures of a sporterized '98 with a carved stock.  I bought it for $400 strictly because it had a '96 carbine rear sight.  At that time the group pointed out that the barrel length was very close to a BoOF rifle and might make a good project.  I started acquiring the metal pieces as all I got with the rifle was the trigger guard.

To Dick's question, I bough the reproduction  stock off eBay for about $100.  It had been shortened a few inches, but not to carbine length,  including the removal of the reduced area under the front barrel band.  When I laid the action in the wood it was immediately apparent that the blank had not been positioned correctly prior to machine carving.  It was off, not enough to be unusable, but enough to not seat correctly.  Knowing my woodworking skills I should have pitched it and started with a new stock.  But I decided to use it as a learning experience and started with files, dremel, sandpaper etc to make the action seat.  I got it as close as I could and left it at that.  I measured my rifles to determine how much farther the stock had to be shortened, cut it and started fashioning the area for the front barrel band.  Since the barrel is tapered I was trying to reduct that area slightly to compensate for the barrel.  In the process I took off more material than I should.  After I finished insulting myself I ordered a new forestock, cut off the end and grafted it onto my stock.  It is not perfect, but once I get it stained/oiled it should be fairly invisible.  Because of the barrel taper the front barrel band is a VERY tight fit.
I am not really North or South bay.  I live in Dublin.

IP Logged

MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Specifically on my '98 rifle the stock end is 3.15" from the barrel end.  With the action in the stock I measured back to that point, leaving a little extra to take off when finishing and cut it there.

FYI the barrel end will not accept a bayonet, Sad.. Almost but not quite.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a BoOF rilfe?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
The initials stand for Board of Ordnance & Fortifications.

Some experimental Krag rifles were built in 1902 with barrels shortened to 26 inches, new made short stocks, and 1901 style rear sights with unique range graduations. These short rifles were fitted with bayonets.

IIRC - The "BoOF" rifles performed very well, but, the idea came too late. Prototypes of the 1903 Springfield were already underway.

Around 100 BoOF rifles were made and very few survive. Bits and pieces of them, may be around, hiding in plain view.

Dick Hosmer is very astute and knowledgeable on this rare Krag variant.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply.

Special bayonets were made for the 26" barrels, by slightly reaming out the hole, and marking a "26" on the cross-guard. I almost hate to say that for fear that someone (I do not mean from our group here) might get "creative". I have never actually seen one, so cannot provide any details of font, size, placement, etc.

The rifles occur in the 387-389K range. Both of mine were acquired as "sporters", so keep your eyes open for such guns - look for the proper Krag front sight - don't waste your time looking at anything with an '03 band, no matter what the length. The special 1901 sights are graduated to 2100 yards.

IP Logged

MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Funny thing is my s/n is 388,396.  But the barrel is not correct.  It was cut down and I will be reinstalling a 1903 front sight when finished.  Here is a shot

Here is a quick pic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint