Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 New owner with sporter krag (Read 3755 times)
imnotwithreal
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New owner with sporter krag
Nov 20th, 2017 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Hiya! I'm a new first time krag owner! I bought a nicely done sporter at a local shop about a week ago. Unfortunately the barrel was cut down to 24in so i won't be able to return this one to military spec, but it should be a good shoter. It is very clean and was well taken care of. It has a Bishop stock, a company I can't find a lot of info on and the rifling is strong. It is missing the magazine cutoff and the safety though. It's an 1894 rilfe with the serial number 20220. The bolt seems to be from an 1896, but thats just judging from pictures that i've compared it to. I was hoping someone could tell me which safety and magazine cutoff i should get to replace them. When looking online, i've noticed there's a couple different ones it could be. It also has what seems to be an aftermarket front sight if anyone has any info on what that is, i would appretiate it. And Finally, the rear sight is missing, in it's place looks to be a single screw and a filled in dovetail. Could this be repaired in such a way to accept an original rear sight?

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: New owner with sporter krag
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum!  The smart guys will be along in a bit.

I don't think getting a mag cutoff will be too much of a problem. 

Whatever you do don't drill any more holes in the poor thing.  Seems like someone had a scope mounted on it at some point.  Jeez I hate that but the times were what they were.

Check to see if you can discern a filled in hole between the dovetail and the forward screw.  You may have to roll the barrel in bright light just right to see it.  I have a barrel with plugged screw holes and that is how I have to find them.

there may be after market rear sights that that can be pushed into the dovetail.

I'm just spitballing here.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 12:37am
Print Post  
Bishop stocks are very common to Krag sporters (my sporter has one too).  24 inch barrels likewise are a common cutoff length (again, my sporter is also 24 inches).  My guess is that the dovetail was cut where the other rear sight screw was.  You might consider a Redfield No-Drill 102K rear sight.  They are common, reasonably priced, easily installed, and quite accurate.  You can usually find them on Ebay, Gunbroker, and other sites.  ButlersRangers can talk more about the Redfield sights.

IP Logged

imnotwithreal
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Thanks for the welcome! I don't plan on drilling any new holes, but I was planning on going ahead and putting a scope on it since it's already drilled and tapped. The damage is already done. However, I would really much prefer an iron sight.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 4:49am
Print Post  
'imnotwithreal' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I do not recognize your after-market front-sight ramp. Sometimes gunsmiths made their own.

The 'filled' barrel dovetail eliminated the original Krag (forward) rear-sight screw hole. You can always remove the 'filler blank' and put an adjustable rear sporting sight in the dovetail.

Your receiver appears drilled and tapped for a Weaver mount, which is off-set slightly to the left for ejection clearance.

Since you have the holes, you may as well use them. Weaver #2 Side Mount Base (#48402) is still made, inexpensive, and comes with screws. The #2 Base shows up often on ebay for $12 or less.

Weaver 1" Detachable Side Mount, #49350, is also needed. It attaches to #2 Base. IIRC- The Mount comes with Weaver Rings.

The Safety was likely taken off your Bolt, because the standard Krag Safety Lever will not clear the Scope's 'Eye-Piece', if you attempt to rotate the Lever to 'Safe' position. (This is not a big issue, if you are only shooting your Krag at a Rifle Range).

Your model 1892 Krag action will accept and function with any of the U.S. Krag 'Cut-off Levers'. Your Bolt uses the later style of Safety-Lever with a spring-loaded detent pin.

(Parts pictured will work with your Krag).

IP Logged

imnotwithreal
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Wow! Thanks for the information. Now I know what I need to get. Is there any particular special way to remove the dovetail? I don't just want to start hammering on my barrel. Should I have a gunsmith do it instead? Also what scope is that in the picture you posted? It looks like one I have in the closet but with a larger tube. Thanks again for the help!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
'Imnotwithreal' - The Scope is a Weaver K-3 from the 1960's. It is 3 power
and has a 1 inch tube.

The Filler Blank is probably held in the barrel Dovetail by fit and friction. It can probably be driven out to the right with a brass punch and plastic mallet.

If you have a old time Gunsmith around,  he would knock the blank out and  install a leaf sight while you wait for a modest price. (But, I may be delusional)!

IP Logged

imnotwithreal
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks again! I think I might try to drive it out and install a sight myself if it's that simple. I like working with my hands so I prefer to do as much as I can on my own.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 3:46am
Print Post  
The magazine cut off needed would be the longer one.  A short one might work ok, or it might leave a spot for the rim to snag.

IP Logged

imnotwithreal
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Longer one? is that the early cutoff?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
The top and middle cutoffs in my picture are both long shaft ones. The middle one is for the model 1896, will work on your rifle, and is common and inexpensive. FWIW - I think the short model 1898 would also work trouble free on your action.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint