Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New Member (Read 2019 times)
Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Nov 21st, 2017 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
New member and first post here. Ive become interested in Krag rifles and look forward to learning from the information that can be garnered here and possibly sharing from my own experience as well.
Thanks, Brian

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Member
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Krags!  You'll find a great bunch of very knowledgeable people here, with no end of help!  Be advised... Krags are very addicting!

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Thank you. I agree, I own two of them now that I picked up with some time in between them sometime ago and I'm waiting on another to arrive.

It will need extensive work to become presentable but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Its a parade rifle and complete minus the stacking swivel but it was abandoned at some point.

I want to make it serviceable again and enjoy doing things of that nature.
Thanks again.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:43am
Print Post  
If you are interested, one thing that has the Krag in mind is the annual Theodore Roosevelt Commemorative Rifle Match, which is part of the National Rifle Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio.  This match only allows "As Issued" Krag and 1903 rifles (no 03A1 or 03A3).  As Issued refers to the rifle being in full military configuration... basically as it was originally issued to the military.

Anyway, please post some pictures so we can all enjoy your Krags!

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Its been quite a while since I shot a match and only ever competed at the local level outside of going to Butner once. Going to Perry does however sound like something I would like to do but it would take some getting back into the game on my behalf. But if I did I would more than likely bring a Krag and walk on just to do it.(plus learn how to load for the rapids)
Anyway I tried to attach an image of a rifle that was cut down at some point. Whoever did it modified it some time ago and it was done very well. It has a o3 band fitted to it, a JFC stamp and a RIA stamp in front of the proof at the bottom of the wrist.
Whats even better is that it will drop them right on the dot even with a neglected and frosted bore at 100yds from prone. Its the only non issued US martial arm I own. I cant bring myself to change it. Not a detailed pic but lets see if it it attached.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 4:05am
Print Post  
'Doco Overboard' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your 'shortened' Krag would not be legal in the Vintage and Roosevelt Matches at Camp Perry, but, it sure looks like a Fun Krag to shoot.

My favorite Krag for shooting at the Range is a fake carbine that would not meet Match Rules. I am sure that is true for a lot of KCA members.

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
I just had a picture of this one handy, I have another that has not been altered.
The shortened one in the picture I use for woods deer hunting and plinking. The sight radius is pretty short but it carries and handles like a dream. Shame someone cut it down though.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Well, if you do decide to shoot at Perry in the Roosevelt... there is a group of us that shoot together (sort of like a team) and you'd be welcome to join us.  Don't worry about loading for the rapids.  We'll get you fixed up!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint