carbine sight (Read 2890 times)
Philngruvy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

carbine sight
Nov 23rd, 2017 at 2:23am
Print Post  
I won this on Gunbroker today.  Smiley

"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."
Al Swearengen, from "Deadwood"

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: carbine sight
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Cool $200 sight. Good Eye!

IP Logged

Philngruvy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 3:54am
Print Post  
I thought it was an unusual combination putting a 1901 Krag carbine sight on a H&R 45-70 with a 32" barrel.  I really wanted the rifle and the sight came as a bonus.  However, I was hoping the value of the sight was more based on the buy now price ($550) that Movieman630 has on the same sight on Ebay.

"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 4:48am
Print Post  
'Philngruvy' - The $200 gestimate is simply my conservative estimate, based on observation over time, a bit of knowledge, and opinion.

Your desirable model 1901 carbine sight is the most common of the U.S. Krag carbine sights. I have seen nice specimens of the rarer model 1898 and 1902 carbine sights available for around $200.

Strangely, the model 1896 Krag carbine sight, which should not be all that rare, is in high demand and when available will bring $500 to $600.

In the end, it is all about demand and what someone is willing to pay.

I have no wish to rain on anyone's parade. Maybe $200 is too low a value for your carbine sight, but, $550 seems too high a price for the 1901 carbine sight.

I am glad you were successful in a gun auction. That .45-70 should be a lot of fun. Getting a valuable carbine sight is a great bonus! Enjoy!

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Philingruvy,

Any way you look at it, you've not been hurt on the cost.  I've seen the Buffalo Classic go as high as $600 in straight factory configuration.  Whatever the Krag sight is worth, is a bonus . Smiley

Love to hear a range report on your impression of shooting the BC with it.

Recently bought a BC myself from a friend but haven't cast for it yet, looking forward to it.

IP Logged

Philngruvy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Thank you all for the positive comments.  I agree that I did OK on this deal.  I have been wanting the Buffalo Classic for a long time, and I have a saved search for it.  When I was scrolling through the pics for this and the Krag sight popped up, I was like OMG!!  I feel very lucky in so many of my gun purchases and this is another one that I am very happy with.

IP Logged

Fiddler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I'm glad others have used an antique sight on a modern rifle. I purchased a 1902/3 sight with the intention of mounting on a   High Wall. Just have to figure out how to modify the base so that each notch equals 1 minute.
The 1902/3 is a composed of the 1902 and 1903 sights....or so the ad said.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Whether or not the sight was a good buy depends on what's been done to the radius of the base.  But, an original base could be found to fix it, if you wanted, if it has been modified.  Looks like a nice rifle, one that would now be legal for deer hunting here in Ohio.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint