Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 New member and new 1896 carbine (Read 5622 times)
spooby504
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New member and new 1896 carbine
Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Greetings! New member, and new Krag owner. I found this 1896 no model saddle ring carbine at a pawn shop, and at price I couldn't walk away from. It appears to be all correct, but at the moment I do not have any reference material yet. There are several places on the stock that are damaged, or cracked, such as the upper hand guard. Would it hurt the value if I had them professionally repaired?

IP Logged

spooby504
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member and new 1896 carbine
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:01am
Print Post  
Another photo

IP Logged

spooby504
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Cracked handguard

IP Logged

spooby504
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Carbine

IP Logged

spooby504
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:04am
Print Post  
C on the sight leaf, and a C on the sight base,

IP Logged

spooby504
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:05am
Print Post  
The circled part is somehow attached to the receiver. What would be the best way to repair it? Or, was this a ordnance repair, and I should leave it alone? I'm afraid it may pop off, and I'll lose it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:34am
Print Post  
'spooby504' - Congratulations, it looks like you found a correct early model 1896 carbine.

IMHO - The Stock and Hand-Guard cracks and damage are serious blemishes. Competent wood repairs would make this carbine more eye appealing. An excellent repair would be preferable to an eyesore blemish.

However, doing nothing is better than a crude repair. It is hard to find people who do competent and affordable stock repairs.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Having the correct rear sight is one of the highlights of your new Krag. If nothing else was good, that alone is worth around $500. I have searched for them and know how hard an authentic 1896 Carbine sight costs. The shadow on the screw in the front of the rear sight makes it look like it doesn't fit. It should screw down flush.

Would you mind sharing what you paid for this?

I agree that it might be best to leave it as it is unless you find someone competent to glue the cracks. I have unglued a few that were done poorly.

Nice find, though!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
'Whig' - I believe the front screw, on Krag model 1892 and model 1896 rear-sights, normally stands rather 'proud'. This is the case with the examples I have and what I see in published pictures. The OP's sight mounting looks correct to me.

The 'countersink' for the front screw is not very deep on the model 1896 sight-base. (By contrast, correct model 1898 and model 1902 sight screws are nicely flush when in place).

Attached photo of 1896 carbine sight shows why a lot of the front screw-head would be visible.

IP Logged

spooby504
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:24am
Print Post  
I apologize for not getting back sooner. I got laid off from my job Monday, and have been dealing with that.

'Whig', I paid $459.03 for it after the 20% discount. Believe me, I was not going to leave it there, even if I had to eat ramen noodles for a month! Haha! I also checked the front screw, and it was tight. Yes, it is a little proud, but it is secure. I'm definitely going to find a professional who will fix the hand guard and stock. It's to nice of a rifle to half-arse a repair job like that.

I'm trying to remember if I read correctly about the magazine cutoff. I checked mine, and when the cutoff is down, the bolt will pick up a cartridge, but in the up position it blocks the rounds. I thought it was the other way around in the 1896 model. Unless, it was one piece that was updated. Anyhow, thanks guys. I'm excited about this carbine, and am looking forward to shooting it some.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:09am
Print Post  
'spooby504' - I'm sorry you got laid off, especially, this time of the year. Hope you get a better job fast.

Great deal on your model 1896 Krag!

BTW - It has its original type of magazine cut-off. Late in the manufacture of model 1896 rifles and carbines, the cut-off function was reversed, so 'down' was blocked and 'up' was feed.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
spooby- Good luck with the job issue. You can take some of your "down" time t learn about and play with your nice new toy! The price you paid is great. Any of us would have jumped on that deal like you did.

Let us know how things are going as you learn more about your Krag. I've learned a ton from others who know more than I do.

IP Logged

spooby504
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. I'm looking for another job. Getting laid off stinks, and this time of the year really stinks.

'butlersrangers', thank you for the info about the magazine cutoff! I was thinking it looked like it was original, and never replaced.

I'm definitely trying to learn more about the carbine, 'Whig'! It is such an interesting rifle, and good looking to. Where would be a good place to check out the s/n, and see if there was any info on it? I did just add an original cleaning rod set and oiler to the buttstock. After I get another job, I'd like to get a correct cartridge belt for it, even if it's a repro.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
There are sites on the internet that discuss serial numbers but the best place is right here! Most of the collectors here know the ins and outs of the Krag serial numbers than most sites do!

Serial Number 30932 was most likely made in 1896.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 6:58am
Print Post  
I could be wrong, but, 'spooby504s' serial number appears to be 30982, to me.

It is not listed in SRS data. It is bracketed by model 1896 carbines #30937, (Trp G. 1st Cav. 5/27/1901 - turned in) and #30983, (1st. Cav. 9/22/1900 - turned in).

Close, but not listed, means it is unlikely the OP's carbine went to the 1st. Cav.

Carbine, #30982, was likely built around April or May, 1896.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint