Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
I found J.S. Adams's machinist ruler. (Read 1717 times)
bumpkis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

I found J.S. Adams's machinist ruler.
Dec 4th, 2017 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Hello I come from the land of tool collecting.  I don't know if you'll find this interesting or not. But I'll post in case someone does.

I bought this rule a couple months ago.  I got curious and started researching who J.S.Adams was. After a couple false starts I have landed here.  I am now almost certain is J.Sumner Adams's machinist ruler.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

The front of the rule. The D&B Stamp refers to Darling and Bailey   Samuel Darling and Edward Bailey partnered making engine graduated machinist rulers from 1852-1853 in Bangor Maine. Of course we know that J.S. Adams was living in Seco Maine at the time.  Young J.S. Adams would of been 14 years old, the common age of an apprentice at this time.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

The back is very interesting.  We have the stamp J.S.Adams!  Either very nicely done or a custom stamp.  Both a sign of an skilled or accomplished machinist. If it was custom, surely it must of been used else ware. Anyone see it?  Moving to the center another small "J.S.A." stamp.  Looks to be double struck.  On the right.  Just "SA". No J. The S is faint. the A looks like its been triple struck. Looks like work of an young apprentice.  For whatever reason J.S.A. didn't like his first name.  He is even listed in the 1850 census as Sumner J Adams. So,  I think he would of had the ruler since he was an apprentice.

Thanks AFJuvat and butlersrangers for the posts on J.S.A.  Without the posts and pictures, I may of never figured out who J.S. Adams was!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: I found J.S. Adams's machinist ruler.
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 1:39am
Print Post  
'bumpkis' - That is a very interesting machinist ruler. Maybe it was marked "S.A" to identify that its owner worked at Springfield Armory?

I like the scale that has 1/10th of an inch increments.

J.S.A. marked his rule at least three times, in different size fonts.

IP Logged

kragluver
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 2:33am
Print Post  
What a find! I wonder if anyone outside his family knew what they had before you discovered it?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Springfield Armory photo with uncertain identity of workers.

It is believed the man at rear bench may be Conrad Nelson. I think the man at front bench is Joseph Sumner Adams.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint