10 Short(er) ammo? (Read 7926 times)
Ed Green
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Short(er) ammo?
Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Back in the 70s my dad converted a Krag to a 2+1 shot sporting rifle. He found an old American Rifleman series of articles about how to cut off the side magazine box and replace it with a flush metal plate. With the spring in there, that left room for 2 rounds in the magazine (plus one in the chamber).

But those 2 rounds have to be loaded from the top; I don't think the Krag was ever designed for that -- it was made to load either single rounds at a time straight into the chamber, or to feed from the box magazine, which was loaded through the door on the right side.

I bought a box of my standard hunting rounds -- Remington Core-lokt (the pointy ones) -- and they seem about 1/16th too long. After a half hour of fiddling and cursing, I managed to coax 2 rounds into the magazine (at the cost of feeling in my fingertips for two days). This can't be right.

Is there another brand of good .30-40 ammo that is shorter? I see at least Hornady and Winchester make it. Has anyone tried loading a Krag magazine from the top? Any tips or ideas?

Thanks!
Ed Green

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Short(er) ammo?
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
THat's odd - most (all?) of the old AR articles I recall provided for a hinged cover of some sort, to avoid the problem you have encountered.

A flash thought - are you fighting the cut-off as well as the spring? You could even remove it entirely. Modern sporting rifles don't use one.

Also, could the spring be lightened by thinning it? It no longer has to do double-duty in keepeing the door closed.

What about handloading? I'd suspect the manufacturers all work to the same OAL.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:20pm by Dick Hosmer »  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Ed Green - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Over the years, there were several methods devised to make the military Krag into a thinner action for sporting use.

One method was to remove the Magazine Gate & Follower Arm, remove part of the right-side of the Receiver, and cover the new opening with a hinged Flat Door with a substitute Follower Spring. A clever Catch was required to hold the door closed.

A different approach was to dispense with the 'Door' entirely. The Door was replace with a Fixed Plate & Spring or simply covered by the Stock with a captured Spring. This approach required the cartridges to be 'Backed Into' the cartridge opening on the interior of the left receiver wall.

Your description sounds like your father used the Fixed Plate approach. Rather than, "pushed in from the top", the cartridges should be "slid in from the front", rimmed end first.

The projectile (bullet) may possibly have to be inserted part way into the Chamber to allow the base to be backed into the opening in the left wall.

Another issue could be caused by the presence or absence of the Magazine Cut-off Switch.

If the Cut-off was simply removed, it leaves a machined groove exposed in the cartridge-feed opening. The cartridge rim can hang-up a bit on this groove.

If the Cut-off switch or lever is still on your Krag, it could be in the wrong position. It could be blocking the cartridge-feed path and preventing cartridges from being fully inserted or 'backed in'.

If you have a Cut-off lever, on most Krags, the 'Up' position allows free movement of cartridges.

If your Krag is a model 1892 or model 1896 action, you could have an earlier type of Magazine Cut-off, which had to be 'Down' to allow the flow of cartridges.

(The attached photo shows the Krag Cut-off lever in the 'Down' position. On most U.S. Krags, this would Block the magazine feed and cause problems loading. The lever should be 'Up'. However, early Cut-offs were the reverse).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I don't have a picture of an altered Krag with part of the magazine removed and replaced with a simple 'screwed on plate', but, I know I've seen such a thing.

Attached are photos of a "Rifleman" How-To-Article, that shows how to make a 'thin' magazine-gate.

Also, attached is a photo showing a KCA Member's Krag, where the receiver was thinned and the magazine opening was covered by the replacement stock. This conversion required the cartridges to be 'backed into' the feed opening.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks Chuck, for the far more complete explanation! While 'top-loading' is not ideal, it certainly should NOT be anywhere near as difficult to accomplish, as was explained by the OP, and the cutoff (in one way or another) could well be the culprit.

IP Logged

Ed Green
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers, thanks for your reply (and the welcome note).

It is definitely a flat side plate, without the door -- the stock Dad carved from a chunk of Maple covers it.

I'm pretty sure there's no issue with a magazine cut-off switch, but I'll double check.

Wow, do I feel dumb now! I think "sliding in from the front" rather than "pushing down from the top" is the key. The tips of my "too long" cartridges were catching at the front of the receiver, after I had partially inserted the rim as far back as it would go. Putting one nose-first partially into the chamber and backing it into the magazine is the obvious (now that you point it out) solution. After all, they fed from the magazine into the chamber smooth as butter once I got them in there and cycled the bolt.

Thanks, man!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Wow, I'd just ASSUMED you were (already) simply reversing the loading path, and that the cartridge was hanging up elsewhere - which I did not really think was likely, but didn't want to say so. Often the simplest solution turns out to be the correct one. Enjoy your rifle!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Ed Green - Please post some pictures of you Dad's Krag. We like Krag pictures!

Dick, you didn't call me "simple", did you?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:55am
Print Post  
I have always thought that the hinged floor-plate from a 1903 could be grafted on and should work well. But, evidently, there are some pitfalls in that process that just won't fly, else they'd probably be seen once in awhile - as am sure I'm not the only person with that idea.

IP Logged

Ed Green
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Bingo!

Here's how I was trying to load the cartridges (just like every Springfield .30-06 or 8mm Mauser):

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Sliding them in from the front took some fiddling, but I figured it out.

Here are some more pics of the Krag. It's an 1898; side magazine replaced with a flat plate, which is completely covered by a birds-eye maple stock. Dad (an architect and sculptor) designed the stock -- note how the curves forward of the action match those above the trigger and below the cheek pad (also defined by the hand checkering). He went a little overboard on the engraving, but the project sort of left "serviceable rifle" and became "artistic statement" at some point.  Smiley 

There are some nice features you can't see -- the end of the stock is offset from the sight line, to get your eye in place quicker, and the toe is offset more than the heel, to follow the natural angle of your shoulder. The right side of the grip has a "ball" protrusion to fit right in the palm of your hand. The barrel and action are glass bedded.

The weakest point is the rear sight. That peep sight is not a particularly good one - it doesn't have "click" adjustments, you just loosen screws, move the aperture, and tighten them back down. Also, due to the way the bolt is removed from these guns requires moving the sight up (and loosing zero). I'm mulling over a better solution... but that's a topic for a future post!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
A lot of nice work there.  I notice the cocking piece is dovetailed, probably had a cocking piece sight at one time.  I see it has a Pacific receiver sight now.  That's why you don't have, or need, a magazine cutoff, the Pacific has a stud that goes where the stud of the cutoff would.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Wowsers, I was not expecting that! I did a short stint at the airport in Kerrville many years ago. I saw men get out of biz jets with no luggage just a guncase. They would be picked up and driven to the hunting ranch. I can imagine they had fancy guns like yours and did not take them out of the case till they were in the blind. Yours is just too nice to be carrying through the brush and banging around in a pickup.

Normally when using only the 2 trigger guard screws to hold the action down accuracy can suffer and the stock sometimes breaks when the action tries to lift out of the stock when fired. The glass bedding may lessen or completely alleviate that tendency. Maybe there is a forward hold down screw that we can not see on the underside of the forearm.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Nice piece of Bird's Eye Maple. That's a very tough wood that they used to make Bowling Pins out of! Possibly, the front sling-swivel screw anchors the barrel to the stock?

Ed's Dad was quite the Craftsman. This Krag Sporting Rifle is soooo early 1960's!

It is fun to look at. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I like the simplicity of the Pacific K-1 sight. When properly adjusted, it really holds its settings.

You adjust elevation by turning the vertical 'Guide Pin', (which is the main support of the elevation slide). The 'Elevation Lock-Screw' should be slightly loose to allow the slide freedom to move.

While "sighting-in", you have to press the slide downward to make sure the Guide Pin always 'bottoms' in its 'blind hole' in the base.

Once adjusted, you can easily remove the slide from the Pacific base, by removing the 'Elevation Lock Screw'. When you put the slide back on, it will return to its "sighted-in" setting, when the 'guide pin' bottoms.

The original 'Elevation Lock Screw' was designed to utilize a Coin, as a screwdriver.

The factory 'Elevation Lock Screw' is a large knurled head affair, that nicely binds and helps support the elevation slide. It appears Ed's sight has a replacement screw.

Attached are some photos of Pacific descriptions, Pacific K1 sights, and the Lyman 'cocking-piece sight' that Madsenshooter mentioned.

IP Logged

Ed Green
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Wow. I had no idea that was a Krag-specific sight. I love the idea of someone making a sight that uses an existing hole. Also nice to be able to remove the bolt and not have to re-sight it.

Thanks for all the info; I will keep this one on there and try to dial it in.

But if I come across a cocking piece sight I'll try it... just for the quirky factor!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
There are a couple of the Lyman 'cocking-piece sights' for sale on ebay right now.

IMHO way too expensive and a basically bad idea.

I once had a 1903 Springfield that was fitted with one. 'Scary Close' to the eye and when it jumped forward it defeated good follow through.

A cheaper route is buying an extra unaltered Krag cocking-piece for better cosmetics.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint