Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Barrel Markings on a Carbine? (Read 1754 times)
Kragster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Barrel Markings on a Carbine?
Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
I had a post on here a short time ago and I believe I deleted it by mistake. I know the 30/40 is a tough gun to authenticate, and I know those of you with knowledge on these get tired of answering the same questions. I have an Antique store so I know how that feels.  Smiley Anyway back to the topic. I really enjoy getting and learning military arms here in my store, and I have been a Krag Fan since I could hold one. (My Great Grandfathers) Here's the question. I have a 1898 receiver, I am familiar with BUBBA guns, but this barrel has me stumped. At approx.9 o'clock at the breech I have the P, at 3 o'clock I have the alignment mark, it's 22" exact and the front site is dovetailed and brazed. Under the barrel at 6 o'clock there is a small circle with two X's over top each other at different angles, making it look like a snowflake or sunburst/star. I know pictures would help and I am trying to get some on but I'm not too savvy on the computers. Any info. you could give me would be greatly appreciated. The serial number puts this gun with a build date of 1899. Thanks in advance for any help.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Barrel Markings on a Carbine?
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I know I'm inviting argument, since others have written in their books that star-gauged Krag barrels were not marked, only issued with their cards.  That makes no sense as guys would be selling service grade barrels with the cards and keeping their star-gauged barrels for themselves.  I have one barrel with a star on it, I have seen others.  The one I have is very tight for a Krag barrel, and I say that has something to do with the mark.  Whether or not that is true for your mark, I can't say.  This sounds like a job for 5MF to figure out!  Hey 5, I got a more folksy avatar for you!  Feel free to use it if you like.

IP Logged

Kragster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Barrel Markings on a Carbine?
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply. I read about the star mark on the muzzles of the 03A3 and this one looks exactly the same but at the breech of my barrel. The stock was sporterized, but I think this is an actual carbine barrel. Any way to tell if it was one of the 1898's reworked at Springfield Armory? Something I could look for?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint