Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Replacement Krag Barrels (Read 5527 times)
Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Replacement Krag Barrels
Dec 15th, 2017 at 1:36am
Print Post  
I noticed a replacement Krag rifle barrel offered by Gun Parts Corp.
Does anyone have any experience with the product in terms of quality and or have any specific knowledge of problems with fitting the barrel or other concerns that may affect performance once it has been installed.
Thanks, Brian

IP Logged

JChannum
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Replacement Krag Barrels
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Numrich has always been a crapshoot for me. I see Krag barrels on their site listed as used reproductions. I don't know if that is what you are looking at.

The CMP is selling brand new Criterion barrels, threaded and short chambered, drilled & tapped for rear sight and front sight dovetail cut for $209.00. This is hard to beat for a brand new barrel of known quality.

While not a Krag, I fitted one of their Criterion barrels for a 1903 with excellent results.

Jim H.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:16am
Print Post  
I'm spreading second hand information.  One of the fellows on the 30-40 KRAG The Great American Rifle facebook page, who rebuilds Krags has used them and reported they worked well.  The man's name is Richard Ling.  He is using both Numrich and the Criterion barrels available from the CMP.  IRC he said the barrels from Numrich come with the front sight stud installed.  If you use the search function on the left the FB page, you can find Richard's post.  CMP sells both full length and carbine barrels.  However the sight stud is not installed like the Numrich barrels.  Numrich barrels come already blued, Criterions in the white.  To finish fitting either one, you'll need a chamber reamer too.  Those can be rented if the rental folks have one, or bought off ebay.

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 4:37am
Print Post  
Saw that post earlier today.  He posted pics of the
criterion barrel and gave some very good reasons to choose them.  Barrel looked first rate.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Just type Numrich in the search box and his post about the Numrich barrels will show too.  When Criterion first started with their Krag barrels, a lot of shooters were unhappy.  Guys were looking for .308 barrels and sometimes got .310 barrels.  Criterion tightened up quality control after that.  Numrich I don't know about.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 10:51am
Print Post  
From what I've heard and read lately, Criterion is about as good as it gets nowadays.  Their Krag barrels are deadly accurate!

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Thanks for the information, I noticed the GPC barrels were finished with the front site post in place.
The last CBI barrel I installed was for a P14, the milled slot for the front sight key was a few degrees off from the index mark. Luckily the milled slot for the extractor was generous enough that there was no interference when final rotation was met.
I was concerned that with the gpc offering, there would be more than a few problems during and after fitting.
I think I'll stick with the CBI, all the other barrels I have sourced from them have worked very well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint