Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Good drawings/dimensions on a handguard? (Read 1403 times)
timmholt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Good drawings/dimensions on a handguard?
Dec 18th, 2017 at 1:54am
Print Post  
I've got enough woodworking skills (and enough walnut) that I'm kind of tempted to make my own handguard (m1898 w/1902 sight).

Has anyone ever done a good set of dimensional drawings and such for the wood and clips that could be used as a pattern?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Good drawings/dimensions on a handguard?
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Beyond what was certainly done 125 years ago at SA, I'm not aware of any. I'm sure that the current repro makers have something they work from, which, in a lot of cases has not been very good. The main issue seems to involve location, size, shape, and orientation of the sight cutout.

Many of the dimensions should be easy to capture, but some of the radii, and the humps for the carbine sights will be tricky. My apologies - I'm ASSUMING here that you would not go to the trouble of making just one, but would perhaps offer a range of QUALITY items?

IP Logged

timmholt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Good drawings/dimensions on a handguard?
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Yea they must exist somewhere. 

My motivation really is that I would like to have one to put on my Krag (which has none), and it's a little painful to fork out the $ for a reproduction (or original) when I theorize I could make one myself.  I could I guess buy one to measure it but then it becomes kind of a chicken and egg thing really.

I mostly work with antique hand tools so there's basically no way I'd be interested in making more than 1 or 2.  So make multiples?  No TBH.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint