Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Really close serial numbers (Read 2518 times)
Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Really close serial numbers
Dec 21st, 2017 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
A pal of mine has two 1898 Krag rifles whose serial numbers are within Five numbers of each other. Both are identical in appearance and in excellent, near minty condition. They must've been kept in a rack during their military service because all their edges and surfaces are Sharp and defined, as are all stampings.

Has anyone an opinion as to how much premium if any the near serial numbers might add to a price?
Thank you!

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: Really close serial numbers
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Thanks.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I'll disagree - while the bump might be minimal, I'm sure there are people out there for whom that would be an inducement, if only as a curiousity.

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I agree with Dick.  The actual dollar value may be on the small side, but the numbers will add to the perceived value of any sale.  The immediate effect makes a one-of-a-kind presentation and the leverage for a potential buyer will be weakened.  On the down side, the rifles can't be sold individually unless the condition is so stunning as to make each one unique.  The combined value of the two gun sale will be slightly greater than the total value of the two if sold separately.  Finding the right buyer will be more difficult and a combined sale will likely attract dealers before individuals with the funds to buy two.  If the condition of the rifles is as you described, that adds to the difficulty of finding a single collector with the urge and the funds, too.  Since the rifles are only 5 numbers apart, that might make any situation more challenging.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Thank you BOTH Dick and Olderthansome.
Mybuddy wants $2,000.00 for the pair. The slings, brass muzzle covers, oilers and three piece cleaning rods will be extra.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Here's an old photo from long ago of the two rifles, which are the two Bottom Krags on this wall.
The 3rd Krag up from the bottom is my old 1896 Krag that I bought back from him for $1,000.00.
It seems everything is going for $1,000.00. He's probably going to want $4oo.oo or $500.00 for the acutrements of both rifles... slings, cleaning rods, oilers, brass front sight covers. Man it really adds up. I'm saving up My money for another 1st generation Single Action Army. I've already got a sharp looking 1896 Krag and so I'm satisfied as far as Krags go, except for wanting to get an early carbine.
So, if anybody wants his phone number to talk to him, I'll let you have it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint