Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 New member (Read 6837 times)
Charles Gibson
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Dec 23rd, 2017 at 2:48am
Print Post  
I just bought a Model 1898 Krag for $ 1,000.00 and hope I didn't pay too much. It has a 22" barrel and the serial # is 195018
Here are some pictures . The bore is like a mirror.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: New member
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum!  You have chosen well, grasshopper.  Snatch the bowling ball from my hand.  Oops.  Wrong show.

The looks from this distance.  Does the rear sight have the letter C and the number twenty on it?  That would be a true carbine sight. and congruent with your gun.

Wait.  No.  you over paid by 950 bucks.  Tell you what I'm gonna do.  I'll give you a hundred bucks to salve your feelings for getting slickered.  Yeah.  That's the ticket.

Oh shoot.  You're not Steinmayer.  I think you did okay with the price.  The smarter guys will be along in a bit to give you a better assessment.  I think you did okey dokey if the rear sight is a C marked carbine sight.  Rifle sights only go to 18 and have no C marking.

Merry Christmas!

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 5:09am
Print Post  
Charles - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You have a very attractive looking Krag. It has the latter type of 'long forearm' carbine stock and hand-guard, that came in with the model 1899 carbine. This stock type was put on some model 1898 carbines, as replacements, to make them more like the 1899 carbine.

Model 1898 carbines are a problem area in that they are often faked. Only 5,000 were made. They are generally found in the #117536 to #133791 serial number range. Collectors prefer the model 1898 carbine with the earlier 'short forearm' stock configuration.

'Culpeper' has described the model 1896 carbine sight - (worth about $500-$600, by itself). The similar, Model 1896 rifle sight, is graduated to 1800 yards and sells for about $65, by itself.

It is not likely that Krag #195018 was originally a Springfield built carbine. You do have a carbine stock, hand-guard, and apparently a carbine barrel.

It is likely someone has put carbine parts on a rifle receiver. The value of this 'parts carbine' would be greatly influenced by the type of rear sight it has.

Attached photo shows a model 1896 carbine sight:

IP Logged

Charles Gibson
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2017 at 6:16am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info.No C on the rear sight.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2017 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum. That is a very nice-looking piece, but, as Chuck (B/R) has stated, it is highly unlikely that it is an original Springfield-assembled piece, though it does appear to have a number of proper parts. If it had a carbine sight, some hope could be held out that it was some sort of "rebuild" back in the day when such arms were tools to be used and not collector's items to be (sometimes overly) scrutinized. However, the presence of the rifle sight only compounds the far-out-of-range number.

What I find sad - at 80 years of age, and a Krag collector for nearly 50 of those years - is that here is ANOTHER manifestation of a situation that I do NOT understand, which is not unique to guns:

"I just bought a whangdoodle for (often far too much). I don't know anything about whangdoodles, how did I do?"

The answer is that you overpaid, probably by close to 50%. The situation can be fixed by obtaining an 1899-stamped receiver, a more common carbine sight (the 1901) and its' associated handguard. Your parts will have some trade value of course, especially the handguard. I'd think the swap(s) could be accomplished for well under $200, even less if you get lucky.

Again, welcome - but next time, ask (or better yet, buy a book - $20 for Poyer's - would have saved you at LEAST ten times over) BEFORE you buy! Just some good advice from a old guy who is now stepping down from his soapbox . . . . .

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2017 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Charles: It would be 'instructional' to see a close-up picture of your Krag's front sight and muzzle area.

This would help identify if your barrel is a real Krag cabine barrel.

BTW - A Krag carbine barrel measures exactly 22 inches from muzzle to closed bolt-face. (Best measured by inserting and marking a cleaning-rod, from the muzzle with the bolt closed).

I would guess your Krag's re-sale value at around $750, based on parts value.

As a 'fun shooter' with its excellent bore, you will find it priceless!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Dick's sage advice is great!  I wish I had asked before I made a fool out of myself many years ago.  I have a sporter that I purchased from a Mississippi Pawn Shop and was told (and believed) was a true 1898 carbine.  It is way out of range, has a 24 inch cutoff barrel and was pretty bubba'd up too!  If I had asked and done a little research, I would have known it was exactly what it is - a bubba cutoff sporter!  Instead, I started proclaiming to have a true 98 carbine, and was promptly told I was dead wrong!!!

Since then, I've steeped myself in a Krag education and listened to guys like Dick Hosmer, Butlersrangers, 5MF, and Madsenshooter, and many others!  Before I make any further Krag decisions, I'll always ask and do my research first!

BTW, Dick was also extremely helpful with my Trapdoors too!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Don't feel too bad.  I was just on a site operated by a fellow last name of Merz.  He's asking $2395 for a cutdown 92/96, saying it's some sort of carbine!  I was there to get a feeling for the value of a 1885 Wichester and stumbled upon the Krag "carbine".

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Wholy Schmoly Bob... that's insane!!!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Speaking from experience in collecting milsurps myself, this is a valuable lesson that may pay for itself many times over if the right things are done, now. I have a big collection of books about all of the types of firearms I like to collect. I search numerous forums and blogs to learn good and bad about collecting. A few "expensive" mistakes go a long way to assure they are not made again.

But, I have many wonderful collectible and valuable military firearms, including numerous Krags, that I've acquired since I first started. They are out there if you are patient.

So, don't get discouraged. Use your resources wisely like this website.

Happy New Year fellow Krag collectors!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
I just took Mr. Merz, politely, to task on a badly described trapdoor. His response was immediate, courteous, and seemingly quite concerned, and he changed the ad and lowered the price.

I'd suggest contacting him for a correction - you might be surprised. Remember that his is an OLD firm, from the "Charles Edward Chapel days" when Winchesters and Colts were the only arms being collected by the socially-accepted crowd, and that he is a Winchester collector.

Times have changed. There ARE some scumbags (for example, the late Keith Rush of Trapdoors Galore) but I think Mr. Merz is honest, if sometimes ignorant in our field.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
I tried emailing him, wondering what he would value the Niedner barreled 1885 at, but got no response.  My email may have hit his spam box.  Totally off subject, but I just found a guy that has a Norwegian Krag wedged into a US 96 carbine stock!  I'm trying to get across to him the value of the 96 stock!  A little help?  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I'm confused - after looking at all the pics in that thread, I do not see one as you describe? I'm not sure that US stock is real. FWIW, bands pring is crudely done and the tip profile is close but not right. ?????

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Sorry Dick, the poster who said he had a 1912 Norwegian in a US 1896 saddle ring stock hasn't posted pics.  Now that I think about it, that'd take some modification behind the magazine of the stock, so it's not such a big deal.

IP Logged

Charles Gibson
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Here are some more photos Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint