Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Krag Value on American Pickers (Read 4290 times)
Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Value on American Pickers
Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Repost from CMP forum.  Also another said it had a commercial rear sight.  Just a FYI:

"I just saw the best of American Pickers whose theme is militaria.
One guy inherited from his dad a Krag carbine sn 13 or 15XXX which puts it at the time period of the Rough Riders or close to it.

The stock was reworked a little for hunting purposes.
Mike Wolfe sent photos to his military expert for an appraisal.

I estimated the value to be $1200 tops with an unaltered stock. His expert says the rifle in its altered state would bring $2K.
Mike bought the rifle for $1200 and is asking $2000 for it.
Without pics to see the rifle, as I described it, is $2K about market price for a Krag carbine?"

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Krag Value on American Pickers
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Well, for starters (which no one [yet] here - or there, with many "experts" - has mentioned) that s/n is not, and never was, a carbine, period. So, it is a Bannerman POS, except to a shooter/hunter, worth no more than $300-$400.

I kinda like the show, and would never dream of challenging them on their knowledge of old oil cans, but they very clearly have little to no interest or expertise in guns, or else it is a bias of their producers. I keep waiting for guns to appear on the show, but they virtually NEVER do. Consider the areas they visit - you think a LOT of those hoarders don't have large stashes of guns?

My wife actually called them and wanted to set up a visit on their California swing a few years back, and was going to surprise me with it. Thank my lucky stars I found out about it in time and squelched the deal.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Way long ago, some wanna be Civil War collector who didn't know his subject at all commissioned them to find and procure a Civil War gun. A guy with a lot of Civil War collectibles in his shop sold them an old 1816 type flintlock musket that had been converted to percussion. They paid $1,200.00 for it with his money that he'd given them. Upon presenting it to him, the new owner was pleased. What nobody including the seller knew was that the musket had been converted to percussion in a Confederate arsenal. It had a unique type of what I call a Snail type bolster that was only produced at a Confederate arsenal during the War Of Northern Agression. Unmistakable. Had they been aware of that fact, they and the buyer would've been tickled pink. Nobody knew of course.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 2:22pm:
Well, for starters (which no one [yet] here - or there, with many "experts" - has mentioned) that s/n is not, and never was, a carbine, period. So, it is a Bannerman POS, except to a shooter/hunter, worth no more than $300-$400.

I kinda like the show, and would never dream of challenging them on their knowledge of old oil cans, but they very clearly have little to no interest or expertise in guns, or else it is a bias of their producers. I keep waiting for guns to appear on the show, but they virtually NEVER do. Consider the areas they visit - you think a LOT of those hoarders don't have large stashes of guns?....

You the man! No surprise to me.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I think I saw that episode... or maybe another.  The one I saw was a sporterized Krag, with an obvious 1903 front sight.  I told my wife that it was worth between $300 and $400 tops.  I about fell out of my chair when their "Expert" told them it was worth $2000+!!! 

I like the show too.  They did an entire episode with my cousin in Wisconsin (episode was about Beer and Oktoberfest, and they were picking Frank's Oktoberfest buddy - my cousin).  I remember he was showing pictures from WWII where his father (My grandfather's brother) was a surgeon.  Seeing my Great Uncle in those pictures what a bit of a thrill for me!!!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Expert's last name must've been Merz!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
A:  It is a TV show, with all the PC baggage that goes with it. 

B: However much of their business is real would run a lot smoother without dabbling into FFL record keeping & all the laws that change from state to state.  If I ran their store, I would say NO to post-1898 guns or anything that came close, like most 1898 Krags.

C:  If you were the guy that had all the junk, and if you had a room full of old guns, would you want them on TV?  It is not that hard to figure out where some of the places are.

D:  It is a TV show (again). If you had anything to do with it, would you want to give an opportunity to some crusading troublemaker to cause you legal trouble?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
The Pickers show, like Pawns Stars, are all staged and often run afoul of common sense to real collectors of certain items like firearms. Neither of these two shows have FFLs and can only deal in antique firearms, of course.

I also watch these shows and laugh at the things I know more about than they do that are mis-valued. But, they are entertaining and I do learn about lots of different things I don't collect. Whether they make a great deal, or not, is irrelevant, though. They are getting paid a lot for having a hit TV show.

IP Logged

sds1861
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
I also enjoy these shows for their entertainment value, but have been informed, by various participants, that little to none of it is real.  This also includes the storage locker shows.

My opinion is that there is only one reality show that is "now" correctly policed and controlled by the producers and is truly real.  It's name "Antiques Road Show".

Steve Stevens

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
What!!! How about "The Curse of Oak Island"??!! Grin

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:12pm:
What!!! How about "The Curse of Oak Island"??!! Grin

Let's take Oak Island to Chit-Chat.

That said, I have 2 comments:

First, I know 2 guys who are/were on another long-running reality TV show.  Both have told me that they got paid $4,000 per episode, with no residuals from re-runs.  As "non-scripted" parts, they do not qualify for Screen Actors Guild contract provisions.  Their show has expired and they are both looking for work in the real world.

Second, cherry picking some guy's well-kept collection of stuff might work, but climbing over boards in several sheds piled with all sorts of low-end junk won't yield enough to pay the motel bill and only leaves the owner with picked-over junk worth less than it was before.  My wife has bought 2 such accumulations.  She paid a lump sum to the owner, showed up with 4 responsible workers, a semi-trailer to hold the good stuff, and 2 dump trucks to take the rest to the landfill or to a salvage yard.  In both cases, she made a small profit.  It is a lot of work.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:19am
Print Post  
I could just imagine picking through my favorite pack rat's stuff.  In his case the biggest worry would be copperheads!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint