Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Fake Cartouches? (Read 1523 times)
bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Fake Cartouches?
Jan 18th, 2018 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
A vendor at a recent gun show had several Krags with what appeared to be fake cartouches.  They were too sharp and just didn't look right.  Also, they all looked the same.  I may be wrong but I've examined hundreds of Krag stocks.  I'm aware of fake later cartouches but have never seen the early "date" cartouches faked (that I was aware of).  Am I just ignorant?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Fake Cartouches?
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I'm a bit confused. ALL Krag stocks (unlike the preceding 'trapdoors') originally had dated cartouches, so do not understand your apparent differentiation between "early" and "late" ones. Fake dies have definitely been made, but I do not know whether ALL of the various dates [SWP/1894] and [JSA/1895] through [JSA/1903] have been covered.

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Sorry for my lack of clarity.  I forget people can't read my mind.  There are lots and lots of fake cartouches on the Garands, carbines and 1903s.  I'd never seen fakes of the type on trapdoors and Krags.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 3:18am
Print Post  
I've noted the fake cartouches on some Krags, and I saw the stamps on ebay.  One guy I know often posts about his 96 carbine on another board.  His cartouche is an obvious fake, JSA isn't right at all, especially not the A.  Of course it's one that according to him was with the Rough Riders.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint