Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
 25 Krag with a Kraghaus mount-- opinions? (Read 15337 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag with a Kraghaus mount-- opinions?
Jan 22nd, 2018 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
While I love my Constabulary Krag I'm not impressed with my ersatz NRA Krag. I would never drill up the receiver to mount a scope even on this carbine but lately I've been thinking about scout rifles. The Kraghaus 6 inch scout scope mount looks very interesting. Just one extra hole which would be hidden under the upper handguard if you removed the mount and put the handguard back. Neat idea. Has anyone on the forum used one? Are they a good compromise?

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag with a Kraghaus mount-- opinions?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Neat and interesting idea!... Wonder if you can get by with just using two holes instead of three?  Would make for an easy install unless it wouldn't be secure enough or cause some kinda scientific, harmonic, way above my comprehension, accuracy issue?... Blah! blah! blah!

Link to Kraghaus:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Post from Milsurps gun board:

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Whether or not you can get away with two depends on some factors.  Weight of the scope, how much red locktite you use, how hot you get the barrel during a shooting session.  I've successfully used the short mount without modification when using a 1901 handguard, but had to take a bit off the bottom to get it to fit an 1896 handguard.  Can't recall if I've tried it with a 98 or 02 handguard, probably have. The screws only came loose on me once after the barrel got warm enough to soften the Loctite.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
How do you like it? Do you hunt with the rifle as a scout rifle? As slick as a Krag naturally is I would think it would be a fast woods gun. And with a low power or red dot scope would be even slicker.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I use the scope more for load development work.  They're 3x7 intermediate eye relief, cheap enough to be disposable.  One sometimes encounters problems with them, but the ebay seller is good at accepting returns.  The eye relief of most pistol scopes is set to be way out there, but these scopes are about right.  I found old Bushnell rings that got me lower and further forward than what's shown, this was when I first got the mount.  It seems to me like a red dot would be just fine for hunting.  I have another of the short mounts, a red dot, and a variety of short rifles I could try it on, but they've not gotten together yet!  Oh, the reticle on these scopes is further to the rear, closer to the ocular lens, than most scope designs.  Any flex in the ocular bell moves the poi!  The bell and lock ring have to be tight.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
My plan is to use my Nikon 2X EER scope. I originally bought the scope to use on a model 41 .22 but the scope is actually more of an intermediate eye relief scope and was no good at arms length. I think that it will work for a scout rifle project.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Baltimoreed wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 8:00pm:
How do you like it? Do you hunt with the rifle as a scout rifle? As slick as a Krag naturally is I would think it would be a fast woods gun. And with a low power or red dot scope would be even slicker.

A red dot reflex sight mounted on a KragHaus 2 screw mount would indeed be a happy combination. With no alterations needed to the rifle or carbine would make it fast easy and restoration to original would be very easy 5 minute project.
I think I have attached 2 images, the first is a shop made Weaver mount with a Doctor reflex sight adapter and a Burris Fastfire3  manual. The other foto is a Doctor sight on a custom mount on a Ruger SA 45Colt. I killed 2 pigs that were running while I was chasing them with the Ruger, a 3rd pig was chasing me and died less than 5 paces from my feet. The reflex sight on a pistol is a little slow getting the red dot lined up. On a rifle there will be nothing faster.
I still have not fired the 35/40 with the red dot reflex sight in anger, I have heard pigs at night on the neighboring places but still have had none on my place since finishing the rifle.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Here's a couple pictures of my sporterized "Bench Rest" rig sporting the Kraghaus Long rail and an LER scope.  Works great and I can almost plug the same hole twice at 200 yards with the right load.  I had to add the third hole near the receiver, but there was no collector value with this cutoff barrel, so I didn't mind doing it.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 10:09pm:
Here's a couple pictures of my sporterized "Bench Rest" rig sporting the Kraghaus Long rail and an LER scope.  Works great and I can almost plug the same hole twice at 200 yards with the right load.  I had to add the third hole near the receiver, but there was no collector value with this cutoff barrel, so I didn't mind doing it.

Whats not to like here, beautiful practical rifle for load development, you could use it for hunting or even varmint control. You did not ruin a collectors piece. Nice!

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks for posting psteinmayer. Your rifle looks good. I think that is what I'm going to do to mine. I was going to mess with a sporterized 03 Springfield build but this is a simpler pseudoscout conversion. I do enjoy shooting my Krags.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:12am
Print Post  
My Kraghaus mount came yesterday so I started trying to get it on my carbine today. It's was a tad long butting up against the action enough that the screws wouldn't align with the sight mount holes. I removed a little material from the receiver end of the mount to get the holes true. The other thing thing is that the holes in the mount were too small for my screws so I drilled them out a little. Eventually I managed to get it and my Nikon 2x eer on the gun. I'm not satisfied that I have enough screw thread into the bbl so I ordered some long repro Krag sight screws from s&s today. I don't plan on shooting it until I can get long screws that almost bottom out in the bbl sight holes and a third mounting screw. I will post photos tomorrow. I like the way it looks.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
My first guess was the mount was slightly over long on purpose to take the recoil, but it is in the wrong direction. Next guess is the SA did not hold the front of the receiver close since nothing butts up against it. Mine was a little out of square and I faced it off on the lathe to true it up.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Good guess.  I've put a few flanged barrels on Krags and found out the receiver is not square at the front.  I think Peter left the holes a bit undersized on purpose, so we could drill them out for whatever we're using.  At one time Criterion was using 6x32 screws, for example.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Here's some photos.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Looks pretty good.  I used the standard Krag sight screws in the sight holes, and then drilled for an 8-32 for the far rear hole.  As I recall, I also had to drill the forward holes in the rail to lower the shoulder so the screws would seat deeper in the barrel.  I'm sure your Krag will be a tack driver!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint