Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 Krag with a Kraghaus mount-- opinions? (Read 15359 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag with a Kraghaus mount-- opinions?
Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:28am
Print Post  
I'm wondering if it will eject without the case hitting your scope, looks close.  The scope on mine is further forward and allows it to, so I could do rapid fire.  I want to shoot one of my full lengths scoped against the AR shooters at least once this year!

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:23am
Print Post  
I have seen Bubba'd Krags with a sheet metal deflector to keep empties from hitting then scope & jamming up the action.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
If ejection is an issue it looks like the scope could be pushed forward 3/4 of an inch or more if the mounts are moved. Getting the scope forward is the goal on a scout rifle anyway if the eye relief is OK.
On one of the older Rugers, they supplied a leather wrap for scopes to prevent damage to the scope's finish. Not just a bubba thing. Smiley

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:51am
Print Post  
The high QD rings in the first photo are too high to work with my carbine stock, the comb is too low. I had a set of low junky rings which work well with the carbine stock but I have to position the scope a little over the action to clear the scope base. I have a set of medium and low QD rings on order. With the low rings shown in the photo it will eject mtys fine. When my new rings come in next week I'll have to experiment and see what works best.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Received my Krag Haus 3 inch rail yesterday and couldn't wait to mount it on my Model 1899 carbine.

First I mounted the Krag Haus rail using two screws normally used for attaching the rear portion of the 1896 rear sight.  The rail screw holes come already matched to the existing screw holes used for Krag rear sights.

Next I removed a Browning Red Dot sight from my Ruger 10/22 rifle and attached it to the rail.

After mounting the sight, I raised the rifle to my cheek and thought to myself "man the sight seems to be sitting high."  Than I realized that I had mounted the rail backwards.  The rail is designed to compensate for the taper of the barrel so one end is higher than the other.  The red dot sight sat lower after correcting my mistake,  but not low enough to get a good cheek weld. Still functional but the sight could be a tad bit lower.

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2018 at 7:43am by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Next up,

I purchased a Vortex Crossfire II Scout 2-7x32 scope and Vortex Hunter, Medium Mount Riflescope Rings.

Installed the scope.

Laser bore sighted.

Next I'm off to the range... Unfortunately, that won't be till my next time off. Embarrassed

The scope still sits a little too high but I think I can correct the problem by purchasing low mount scope rings.

I'm usually more of traditional kinda guy... but what the heck! It's all for the "Dedicated study, collection and preservation of the Krag rifle."

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Lots of room on that one!  I think you'll be very pleased with your results!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Neat & practical rig that does no harm.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
I could make that red dot sit lower with my milling machine, but if you have another gun that one fits, you might look at the Doctor or Burris Fast Fire III, both would sit lower with standard adapters. Probably a lot of cheaper copies available by now also.
Does Kraghaus sell a shorter mount? If Kraghaus is interested I could make drawings for the Doctor or Burris adapters that could be mounted directly on the barrel for a height that would match the iron sights. The Doctor and Burris sights are interchangeable I think except the Doctor uses metric and the Burris uses standard US unified screws. Locating pins on both are 3mm.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Not caring for the 03 front sight, my plan was to cut and recrown the bbl but I went on line last night and saw how easy it was to remove so I took it off today. Surprise. There was only the cross pin holding it on, no spline or key, not even a step. A little bit of cold blue and that part is done.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Baltimoreed,

Always nice when a task turns out easier than originally anticipated.

FredC,

Thanks for offering to mill my red dot sight but I think I'll put it back on the Ruger 10/22.

I will look into using other red dots like the Doctor or Burris.

As far as I can tell... KragHaus only sells the 3 and 6 inch rails.

You can reach their website at Kraghaus.com

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Weaver mounts can be made any height you want. A couple of ends off custom ones I made. The short steel went on a 1917 Enfield, the taller aluminum went on a Savage 25 with a night vision scope. I just went back to the KraghHaus site and only 2 lengths are offered no variation in height is mentioned. So I wonder if they are even making these themselves. I will email and see if they are interested in Doctor/Burris mounts. In case any out there want to make or modify Weaver mounts, do not buy a blank made from cold rolled steel, the first cut you make on it to fit make it fit will cause it to warp all over. If you buy a piece of steel try to get hot rolled it will start out ugly but it will be stay straight as you work on it.

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Krags with those rails are sure UGLY!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
UGLY is sort of in the eyes of the beholder. All of us like Krags here but you have to admit that there are nicer looking rifles around. We get past that because the Krag has other qualities that function, durability smoothness of operation that make them desirable in our eyes.
Have not handled Kraghaus rails to know their fit and finish, but they can help us old guys with old eyes shoot better without ruining a Krag barrel or action. A lot to be said for that, the more you think about that the better they look.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I'll agree with you that a nice pair of scope blocks on a boltgun's bbl are a lot classier look but they limit you to the one sized scope and shooter that they're fitted for. A long picatinny allows any sized glass or dot at any location. Hopefully my Krag will get a sporter stock before I'm done with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint