Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 Krag with a Kraghaus mount-- opinions? (Read 15364 times)
Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag with a Kraghaus mount-- opinions?
Reply #30 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
[quote author=0A3E29280F2D202725223F4C0
Have not handled Kraghaus rails to know their fit and finish, but they can help us old guys with old eyes shoot better without ruining a Krag barrel or action. A lot to be said for that, the more you think about that the better they look. [/quote]

I agree with that comment very much Fred. and I think this KRAG looks real pretty with  the red/green dot  sight sitting on a small Kraghaus rail. Weather permitting I am off to the range tomorrow to see how she shoots.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #31 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
In reality we don't own any of this antique military stuff that we hold so dear. It might be in our posession and we bought it but we don't really own it. How many others have 'owned' these artifacts?I would never drill holes in pieces of history just to mount a scope. The Kraghaus mount is a great compromise. No holes in the Krag recvr but you can have a scope. There are plenty of bubba'ed up rifles in the world.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #32 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 3:45am
Print Post  
I bet Atticus wished the Sheriff had sprung for a Kraghaus mount and high tech optics!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #33 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder... and I do BE HOLDIN' some beautiful Krags!!!

While the Kraghaus rail (along with what ever optics you decide to attach) may make the Krag ugly to some, that's not really the point!  I attached my Kraghaus and LER scope on my beat up sporter for a purpose - to create a Cast Bullet Bench Rest rig for CB matches.  To that end, it works like a charm and I love it!!!

As for beautiful, I personally think AR-15s and their variants are cold, ugly and very impersonal weapons, and I have zero use for them!  Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #34 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
It's like Lipstick on a Pig. You gotta really love Pigs to think it's attractive!

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #35 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Doesn't everybody love bacon!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #36 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Hmmm  Lipstick on Bacon?  Maybe eggs and toast flavor lipstick!  LOL

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #37 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Even Pigs love Bacon!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #38 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
LOL I should have expected that one coming Chuck!

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #39 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Dropped off my Krag bbled action at a semi local gun shop to have the third Kraghaus mount hole done. 3 week turnaround. Haven't decided on the bbl cut yet. I plan on seeing how well it shoots with my scope and go from there. At 22 1/4 inch it's been cut before so I can't hurt it. Hopefully the bits and pieces will be here by then and I can assemble it and shoot.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #40 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Got my rifle together and shot enough today to sight it in at 35 yds. I'm going to like this build. I want to shorten the bbl to 20 inches and refinish the stock. Need to work on an accurate load now that I've got a scoped Krag. I'll post better photos when I've got some targets to show.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #41 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Here's a 30 yd target with some holes pretty close together. The 1898 seems to like heavier bullets. Both loads are 9.7 gr Tin Star. I don't know anything about the pointed .311 gc bullet but they group good, the fp bullet is a .311 193 gr Hunters Supply that come without gc so I put them on myself using my lubrisizer. And yes I'm using .303 brass. There is enough chamber/headspace difference between my 1899 Constabulary and the Pscout that I can't use the same loads for both without fl sizing every reloading. But I can neck size and seperate the brass. However I'm going to try to use .303 exclusively in the pscout for awhile. If I come up with a tack driver load then I'll try it in some .30-40 brass. I don't know why this is distorting my pix.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #42 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 3:00am
Print Post  
My 1899 carbine had fun being the guinea pig for this KragHaus scope adapter experiment... but the ole girl wanted to go back to being a regular carbine again because she thought she wasn't attractive anymore and people called her ugly. Kiss

Wanting to continue on with the experiment, I purchased a cut-down Krag for $150 bucks and old aftermarket stock (for way too much).

Prior to receiving the parts I had all these grandiose plans about what I was going to do... but of course, cost started quickly adding up!

However, I kinda like the raw rugged look after putting the cut-down Krag/stock together.  So I decided to go for a new/old look like a RAT ROD or in this case a RAT ROD RIFLE.

Yes, you could say I'm too lazy to finish the rifle properly... and you'd probably be right!  But it's my gun so there!!! Tongue

The experiment was to come up with a Krag style Scout Rifle and here's my interpretation.

Only meets a few of the requirements for it to qualify as a true Scout Rifle... However, it shoots surprisingly well for a 100+ year old gun... even with my poor marksmanship ability's.

BTW: BAG stands for Big A_ _ Gun like the one used by the guy next to me at the range who took his shot just before I took mine.  Did I mention he had a muzzle brake.  OK, I'm making excuses but I swear he had artillery crew helping him load each round!!! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #43 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Almost looks like a Steampunk prop!

Google Rat Rod or Steampunk if your not sure of what I'm referring to.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2018 at 4:26am by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #44 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Nice looking sporter, the scope is about as low as possible, forward like a scout rifle. If it line up good when you have your face up against that cheek piece, you should be pretty fast on target.
I walked up on a pack of dogs tearing up a coon just below the house. The pit bull was only a couple of feet from cover when I took him out. Seconds are too long sometimes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint