Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
A pair of model 1896 Krag projects. (Read 2897 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

A pair of model 1896 Krag projects.
Jan 24th, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Until recently, I did not have any model 1896 Krags in my 'collection'. Now, I have two model 1896 Krag projects.

A while back, a KCA member, 'condorjohn', traded me a model 1896 Krag action with a full length barrel for a nice model 1898 action with a shortened barrel. John was building a 'hunting rifle' and did not want to cut and ruin the collectable full length barrel. (I wish more people were so wise)!

The 1896 barreled action, I received, is definitely worthy of restoration into a full length rifle.

It must have been subject to a rebuilding program, due to it having a model 1902 rear-sight and a model 1898 bolt. The '98 bolt it came with closed on my Field Gauge. I have replaced that bolt with a 'New Old Stock '98 bolt. (This has corrected the headspace).

Someone started to cut a dovetail on the bottom of the barrel, but stopped. This blemish will be hidden by the stock.

Some pictures of model 1896 Krag project #1:
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2018 at 1:15am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: A pair of model 1896 Krag projects.
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
It looks like someone took care of it, did not see any real dings and the screw driver slots are the cleanest I remember seeing.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Model 1896 Krag project #2.

On another gun forum, a gentleman posted pictures of a friend's Krag, that he was considering buying. The OP lost interest, when informed the Krag was altered for 'Hunting'. The OP was kind enough to put me in touch with his friend. This nice 'cut-down' Krag recently arrived at my house.

This model 1896 has an excellent bore. It arrived with a model 1898 bolt that also closed on my 'Field Gauge'.

I put in the bolt that came with my first project model 1896 barreled action and it has corrected the 'excessive headspace'.

This second model 1896 was also likely subjected to a 'rebuild program', at some time.

It has the model 1902 rear-sight variant that used the leaf and altered eye-piece from a model 1898 sight. (The slide lock-screw is sheared off. I do have a spare lock-screw to repair it).

This stock never had an Acceptance Cartouche or the 'Circled P' (proof stamp). It is likely a field replacement stock.

The barrel is 22 and 1/8 inches long with a 1903 Springfield front-sight.

I plan to 'stretch' this cut-down stock and put it and the hand-guard on model 1896 Krag #1.

This cut-down rifle will ultimately get a stock and be a fun 'Range Gun'.

TO BE CONTINUED

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Absolutely beautiful wood. All sharp edges. Yes, this stock is worth being fixed.
Great photos by the way!
I've an 1896 that has a field replacement stock on it. It and the hand guard are both blonde in color (Italian Walnut?) and are pretty much in mint condition like the wood on your 2nd project rifle. I wonder if the field replaced stocks tend to be in great condition?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Undoubtedly better than the broken stocks they replaced!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Krag Projects update:

I took the cut-down stock and hand-guard off of a model 1896 Krag that had its barrel shortened to approximately 22 1/8 inches. (The nice wood it came with is being used to restore a model 1896 action with a full-length barrel).

The shortened 'Donor Krag' has a minty bore and nice metal. I want to use it as a fun shooter and utility Krag. I corrected excessive headspace by replacing its bolt with a spare.

I fixed the broken model 1902 rear sight by replacing the sheared off elevation lock screw.

A good model 1896 stock was the biggest obstacle. I decided to take a page from 'Bubba'.

I had a solid 'cut-down' model 1898 stock that was not a candidate for 'stretching. Someone had cut the stock behind the rear barrel-band. It has been laying around for years waiting to be used. I decided to fit it to the model 1896 'cut-down'.

It has proved a fun project. It is now 'Range Ready'. Ultimately, I may come up with a better solution for the forearm tip. But, I have to get to work completing the full-length model 1896.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
The lower rifle's wood is sooo dang nice!  Your going to have a beautiful rifle when your finished!!!

I'm still looking for a nice sporterized rifle project to do the same type of restoration.

Hopefully a rifle in the same condition.  Unfortunately, much of the stuff out there is pretty rough or the sellers are very proud of their offerings.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2018 at 7:39am by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
'Local Boy' - I am kind of happy with how my improvised '98 to '96 stock turned out. I really love the look of Italian walnut Krag stocks and wanted to get the cut-down model 1896 'Range Ready'.

A bit of a mystery or puzzle has been how some model 1896 stocks have late 'cartouche dates' (An Acceptance Cartouche dated after model 1896 Krag rifles were out of production).

IMHO - This displays that, if correct stocks were unavailable, Armory 'stockers' with their tools and talent, could have easily altered used model 1898 stocks to fit model 1896 rifles, undergoing recondition.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint